PROPOSED
Nigel Valley, C1
Use: rental
Address: Vernon Avenue at Lochside Regional Trail
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 16
The tallest structure of BC Housing's Nigel Valley Development in Saanich could rise to 16-storeys and will co... (view full profile)
Learn more about Nigel Valley, C1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] Nigel Valley Development | Up to 16-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

800 units would be what... maybe a bit less than the number of units on the Songhees south of Kimta Road? So we'd be talking a density comparable to the older lowrise section of the Songhees?

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

Each building will be a seperate proposal before council. So long as it fits within the masterplan it’s all good.

If it were me at the helm I’d get the market tower going immediately to start generating funds and paying down the loans.

800-units is even more density than the entire Hudson District at completion (~650-units, give or take).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

My definition of density must be broken. So it's just the total number of units now? Not the total number of units for the area?

#84 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:04 PM

By my count the Hudson district adds up to 732 units on roughly half (actually probably less than half) the footprint of this Nigel Valley project.

176 - Hudson Place One
178 - Hudson Walk One
106 - Hudson Walk Two
120 - Hudson Mews
152 - The Hudson
= 732 total

The lowrise Songhees stuff south of Kimta Road seems to make for a decent comparison re: the land area and the number of units therein. Unless I'm overestimating the number of units on the Songhees south of Kimta.

Nigel_Valley_District.jpg

Hudson_District.jpg

Songhees_District_Waterfront.jpg

Anyway, for Saanich this would be pretty dense.

Edited by aastra, 20 September 2018 - 12:20 PM.

#85 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:06 PM

Sorry, my count isn't right for the Hudson and Hudson Mews. How many should that be?

No, wait a sec. Those numbers are right, aren't they?

Edited by aastra, 20 September 2018 - 12:08 PM.

#86 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:50 PM

My definition of density must be broken. So it's just the total number of units now? Not the total number of units for the area?

Density can be many things. You're talking unit density, which may or may not be written into the zone (I haven't seen the zone so I can't tell you). When the zoning bylaw references density it's usually FSR. You can have a high unit density and a low FSR with small units, and vice versa with large units. So while the Hudson District has a much smaller unit density, the average unit size will come into play when you're looking at the bulk and height of the buildings.

EDIT: The complete Comprehensive Development Zone is near the end of the staff report, here: http://saanich.ca.gr...6&meta_id=10576

Both unit density and FSR are defined for each of the development areas.

Edited by Jackerbie, 20 September 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#87 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:57 PM

It appears that the entire housing complex at the end of Nigel Ave. Will be demolished and replaced with the 16 story building. 

That housing complex is only 26 years old.  I guess it had a short life.

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:58 PM

You've got to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

#89 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

It appears that the entire housing complex at the end of Nigel Ave. Will be demolished and replaced with the 16 story building. 

26 years is past the useful life of Government housing. Nobody should be forced to live in any building that old.

#90 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

26 years is past the useful life of Government housing. Nobody should be forced to live in any building that old.

26 years is old for a town house styled complex?............okie dokie smokie.

Heck I live in a place that's 60 years old and it's doing just fine LOL.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 20 September 2018 - 05:14 PM.

#91 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:48 PM

Lol. What? Sarcasm i assume?

#92 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:30 PM

I hope not. I'd hate to see its first appearance on this board.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:17 PM

Yup, you’re right aastra. I goofed on the original Hudson’s unit count.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#94 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:34 PM

First I nailed you on the wayfinding distance to the arena, and now this? That's twice in 12 years. Crow is becoming a regular part of your balanced diet.

• lanforod likes this

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,481 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

Lol!

Oh, asstra...
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#96 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

I'm going to use this line to justify bulldozing the "quaint" part of Victoria and replace it with leaky condos.

#97 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:10 PM

I think a more accurate measurement would be the volume of each of the units. A 400 sq ft studio with an 8 ft ceiling vs a 1500 sq ft with a 9 ft ceiling.

You could also have a 100 sq ft unit with a 6 ft ceiling for those moving up from a tent.

#98 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:10 PM

I think a more accurate measurement would be the volume of each of the units. A 400 sq ft studio with an 8 ft ceiling vs a 1500 sq ft with a 9 ft ceiling.

You could also have a 100 sq ft unit with a 6 ft ceiling for those moving up from a tent.

#99 threePs

threePs
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:04 AM

This is where the GVHS townhomes currently are. GVHS will be building on the vacant Batton Field Townhomes site currently owned by BC Housing and to be demolished next year - so GVHS is first to build. The townhomes where the 16 storey building is to go wont be demolished until their new building is finished. It's part of one of the many land exchanges.

• Nparker likes this

#100 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 March 2019 - 03:04 PM

Plans are in for Broadmead Care Society's 6-storey building. It's near the bottom of the page: https://www.saanich....anich-core.html

88 total units, which includes 41 care units, 37 assisted living apartments, and 10 affordable housing apartments.

Site plan: https://www.saanich....rnonfeb0719.pdf

Elevations: https://www.saanich....feb0719elev.pdf

Capture.PNG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users