Photo

Floyd's Diner locations in Victoria | City of Victoria | Langford | Saanich

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#101 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:16 AM

Do we know what’s going to be built on this parcel of land?

Also, does anyone know if anything is happening with the Ming’s lot?

Edited by Promontory Kingpin, 27 January 2019 - 09:17 AM.

#102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

...does anyone know if anything is happening with the Ming’s lot?

Based on the fencing that surrounds all street facing sides, I can only assume giant mutant rats are growing inside that will eventually overthrow the human race.

#103 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

Do we know what’s going to be built on this parcel of land?

Also, does anyone know if anything is happening with the Ming’s lot?

As far as I know, there are no plans yet. The dry cleaner is a separate lot and the capital ballroom declared they aren't going anywhere. Without that building, it's probably too small for a condo development. Same thing with mings. Without the tire shop and 7-11 strip, it's too small for developers. It's fenced to keep the campers off the doorways.
  • DavidSchell likes this

#104 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

It would be nice to get a high end hotel there. There’s not one in the area, and with Harris Green’s continued growth of population and amenities, one will be needed in the future.

After all the hotel industry strongly lobbies the CoV to prohibit air bnb rentals, but yet they don’t even have presence in the neighbourhood.

Edited by Promontory Kingpin, 27 January 2019 - 11:00 AM.

#105 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

Floyds said they were looking at a possible move a block away. Could this be Mings or maybe the old Turkish restaurant grocer?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 01:31 PM

Floyds said they were looking at a possible move a block away. Could this be Mings or maybe the old Turkish restaurant grocer?

The latter seems like the kind of place that Floyd's might like. It does have a significant exterior wall available to be painted a garish shade of hot pink

Capture.JPG

• Mike K., sdwright.vic and vortoozo like this

#107 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:13 PM

^With a little TLC that place would make a fantastic restaurant. I would prefer http://fablediner.com/

• Nparker likes this

#108 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

They’d be much better off to take over Ming’s. After the completion of Vivid, 989, and 1400 Quadra combined with the 834, small residential buildings like Urbana and others. It would make great sense to move across the street and up to Johnson where residents will be moments away to their doorstep.

Not to mention that Ming’s has a larger seating capacity and a full service kitchen.
Once renovations were done that place would be mint.

Edited by Promontory Kingpin, 27 January 2019 - 02:27 PM.

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

I suspect the Ming's location would be more restaurant than Floyd's would want to take on.

#110 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

They’d be much better off to take over Ming’s. After the completion of Vivid, 989, and 1400 Quadra combined with the 834, small residential buildings like Urbana and others. It would make great sense to move across the street and up to Johnson where residents will be moments away to their doorstep.

Not to mention that Ming’s has a larger seating capacity and a full service kitchen.
Once renovations were done that place would be mint.

this sounds a little like something a landlord would say to a prospective tenant

• Nparker, sdwright.vic and DavidSchell like this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#111 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

I suspect the Ming's location would be more restaurant than Floyd's would want to take on.

No windows either!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#112 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

No windows either!

I believe floyds did make an offer on Mings that included new windows but they were to far apart to make it work. The place needs substantial upgrades and likely lots of remediation.

#113 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:35 AM

The last thing any restaurant needs to do is move closer to Our Place, the Johnson Street hell-hole, and the street scene that goes along with them both for at least 2 or 3 blocks in every direction.

Any efforts to gentrify that part of town will continue to fail until such time as the COV obliges Our Place to clean up their act. Their efforts at mitigation of street issues, local crime, and the general sense of danger garnered anytime one has to walk down the sidewalk in front of the Our Place building is a complete non-effort on the part of Our Place management ... a complete failure.

Add the Johnson Street "independent living" failure to the mix, and it becomes obvious that the best thing Floyds Diner could do is move South on Quadra, definitely not North.

Edited by Cassidy, 28 January 2019 - 06:36 AM.

• Daveyboy likes this

#114 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:25 AM

Floyd's main demographic is hungover millennials and Gen-Z'ers, who for the most part don't feel unsafe or care about being in proximity to Our Place or similar facilities. Spoons generally goes for a similar demographic and business there doesn't seem to have suffered at all since the no-barrier housing moved into the hotel its attached to (at least it was still packed on the handful of times I've gone there in the past year).

#115 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

I suspect the Ming's location would need to be burned down to be properly fumigated. 

• Rob Randall, Nparker, gstc84 and 1 other like this

#116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

I suspect the Ming's location would need to be burned down to be properly fumigated. 

And salt spread across the rubble to ward off the evil.

#117 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

They'll definitely need a Priest or two. 

#118 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 March 2019 - 06:40 AM

Following exodus from downtown Victoria, Floyd's Diner to open Saanich eatery

https://victoria.cit...saanich-eatery/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#119 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

Following exodus from downtown Victoria, Floyd's Diner to open Saanich eatery

https://victoria.cit...saanich-eatery/

They will literally be eating The Village's breakfast and lunch by opening there - I mean, at least patrons will.

#120 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:45 AM

i went past there recently & thought that paint job was a terrible idea, but now that I know it will be a floyd's it doesn't look so bad  :P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users