BUILT
The Haro
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 5120-5144 Cordova Bay Road
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Haro is a mixed-used residential and retail community situated along the 5100-block of Cordova Bay Road in... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Haro on Citified.ca
Photo

[Saanich] 5120-5144 Cordova Bay Road | Condos; commercial | 4, 4 and 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#81 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

One wonders if the latest proposal will get past the Cordova Bay NIMBYs

Long awaited plans for a mixed use development to replace the vacant Cordova Bay Plaza have been approved by Saanich Planning staff...

https://www.vicnews....orey-buildings/

Or would they rather be stuck with this

Cordova Bay NE now.JPG

instead of this

Cordova Bay DevNE.jpg

• jonny likes this

#82 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

That looks really nice. 

• Nparker likes this

#83 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

^ I don't know, it looks a little massive for the location, considering it is on a local arterial road and next door to a five storey condo development. /sarcasm

• Nparker and jonny like this

#84 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Seriously, I didn't even know there was that older 5-story complex just up the street there. So did that development ruin the neighbourhood when it was built? I guess not, seeing as how the redevelopment of the parking lot has the potential to ruin the neighbourhood.

• Nparker likes this

#85 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

The five storey complex is set back quite a ways from Cordova bay Road, so much so that most people don't even know it's there, whereas this four storey proposal is downright urban and destroys the small village appearance of the street. /sarcasm

• Nparker likes this

#86 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

This only looks about 10x better than what is currently there.

• Nparker, jonny and johnk like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:10 AM

I only complaint would be the gap between the two buildings along Cordova Bay. It would have been better with that being straight street frontage to give it a less car mall look.
  • aastra and Nparker like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#88 Keedan

Keedan
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Council has no choice but to approve it...eventually. My bet is they turn it down on this round so they can show their voters they're trying and then they approve after a small, conciliatory change is made.

Edited by Keedan, 19 January 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#89 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

Report to Council has been posted on the Saanich website. Will be a council meeting on Monday at 7pm, should be interesting to watch the NIMBYs turn out for that. 

And if anyone is looking for an entertaining read, the various correspondence emails that council has received regarding this proposal can be found here.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#90 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

...And if anyone is looking for an entertaining read, the various correspondence emails that council has received regarding this proposal can be found here.

The NIMBYism is strong in this part of the world.

#91 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

The NIMBYism is strong in this part of the world.

Though for some of the townhome owners it will be in their backyard.

#92 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:55 AM

Council has no choice but to approve it...eventually. My bet is they turn it down on this round so they can show their voters they're trying and then they approve after a small, conciliatory change is made.

i agree. Perception is everything to politicians I'm afraid. Look like you are "listening", vote like you have "listened" and then move forward on our own agenda.This is not always bad as councils often have to "listen" to some very self serving people/groups but at the end of the day even these people/groups vote so its best not to alienate any more people the you have to if you want to be re elected. Every vote counts!

• jonny likes this

#93 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

The NIMBY's took a hit last night at the Saanich Council table

...Councillors voted 8 to 1 to greenlight plans for a complex consisting out of three four-storey buildings with commercial space on the ground floor of each building and condominiums on top...

https://www.vicnews....plaza-proposal/

• lanforod likes this

#94 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

Wow! That's great. 

The meeting opened with an address from chief administrative officer (CAO) Paul Thorkelsson, who reminded the public that the purpose of Monday’s hearing was to consider form and character of the proposal rather than land use, noting the C-3 zoning for the site permits the development as proposed. He also told the audience developers did not request zoning variances.

Sharon Hvozdanski, Saanich’s director of planning, confirmed the proposal conformed with the Official Community Plan (OCP) following a question from Plant, who asked for clarification concerning inconsistencies between the OCP and development permit area guidelines.

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

So is the project fully approved now, or will there be an additional series of municipal decisions?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

So is the project fully approved now, or will there be an additional series of municipal decisions?

From what I have read the project can now proceed.

• Mike K. likes this

#97 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

The motion carried was to amend the previous DP for the site. I believe all they need now are building permits.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#98 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

Glad to see things finally moving forward on this one. Will be nice to see a bit of revitalization to the area.

• Nparker likes this

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:09 PM

Someone's not wasting any time.

The end of an era came over the Family Day long weekend as the Cordova Bay Plaza was razed to the ground...

https://www.vicnews....a-over-weekend/

• jonny likes this

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Oh yeah, I drove past and saw the buildings had been reduced to a pile of rubble. I don't know why I didn't stop to snap a photo, lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users