Photo

Venue for Super Bowl in High Definition?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

Does anyone know anywhere that will show the Super Bowl in bona fide High Definition? Lots of places have the nice wide screens installed, but I have not seen a single one anywhere that actually has them wired up for high definition. Everyone has them set up to show standard definition stretched out or zoomed in to fill the wide screen. The pictures are good, but I've not seen the real deal anywhere. The HD logo bug on the screen is very distinctive for TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, CBC, Global, CTV, CityTV CBS, Fox, and NBC -- it's unmistakable.

Sopranos does not have it and neither does Shark Club. I'm sure it has to do with the difficulty of wiring and high cost. You can't have long wire runs of component video or HDMI. It's quite easy to string regular coax for standard definition TV and a "good enough" picture is what most places settle for.

But I'm thinking someone must have done it right somewhere in town. Anyone certain of a place that has the real deal set up correctly that is going to show the Super Bowl?

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

Does anyone know anywhere that will show the Super Bowl in bona fide High Definition? Lots of places have the nice wide screens installed, but I have not seen a single one anywhere that actually has them wired up for high definition. Everyone has them set up to show standard definition stretched out or zoomed in to fill the wide screen. The pictures are good, but I've not seen the real deal anywhere. The HD logo bug on the screen is very distinctive for TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, CBC, Global, CTV, CityTV CBS, Fox, and NBC -- it's unmistakable.

Sopranos does not have it and neither does Shark Club. I'm sure it has to do with the difficulty of wiring and high cost. You can't have long wire runs of component video or HDMI. It's quite easy to string regular coax for standard definition TV and a "good enough" picture is what most places settle for.

But I'm thinking someone must have done it right somewhere in town. Anyone certain of a place that has the real deal set up correctly that is going to show the Super Bowl?

Good question. How about Cactus Club? EDIT: I called there, no HD.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:19 PM

How Early does one have to go to any sportsbar to get a good seat fro this year's super bowl?

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

How Early does one have to go to any sportsbar to get a good seat fro this year's super bowl?

Between one and two.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

My house. :)

#6 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

My house. :)

What are you charging for a pint of beer?

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

Beer's free but Del insists on a post-game rub-down which sounds dicey but is actually quite invigorating.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

mods, help!

#9 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:35 AM

As I read the first few posts, I also was going to say "my house." Now, I'm not so sure... :-)

#10 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

I should have known... :?

#11 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:26 AM

This is just a sad state of affairs. All these great bars spending all that cash on the nice flat-screen tvs and plastering them everywhere, but not a one is willing to spend just a little more cash to wire it up for real HDTV.

Several places have Bell ExpressVu running so the HDTV add on costs $10 more a month? To be fair, there are probably a lot or restrictions for commercial use, but it seems to me someone somewhere in town would go to the effort. It might even attract customers who would not ordinarily go. Sad.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:40 AM

(courtesy William Houston, Globe & Mail)

Global Television plans to pick up a clean, untouched feed of CBS's Super Bowl telecast on Sunday in the hope that the picture and sound quality improve.

High-definition viewers complained about distortions and audio problems on Global's National Football League conference championship telecasts on Jan. 21.

As a rule, Canadian viewers see an NFL telecast that has been altered twice before it reaches the screen at home. The feed from the site of the game goes to New York, where the U.S. network inserts its commercials. And then it's sent to Global's facility in Calgary, where it's altered again and given Canadian commercials. For the Super Bowl, the feed from Miami will go directly to Calgary.

Canadian viewers have no choice but to watch Global's NFL coverage. In addition to simulcasting the U.S. feed, Global is allowed to replace the American channel with its own on the cable and satellite systems.

However, the distributors have the right to discontinue the Global feed if it's not up to quality and use the U.S. network feed — although that upsets Canadian advertisers who have bought time on Global with the understanding their commercials will be seen.

Still with commercials, the U.S. Super Bowl ads are out of bounds for Canadian viewers because of the substitution rule. However, during the game on Sunday, AOL Canada will stream the U.S. commercials on aol.ca/superbowl.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:34 PM

The Super Bowl, like the World Series has an "Internatonal Feed" for use outside the United States, so maybe they will use that one. The CBS announcers are pretty bland, but I don't know if different announcers are heard on the international feed. I recall that the World Cup coverage in Canada had the feed from the UK rather than a sim-sub of the US broadcast.

If it's all digital as they claim, the picture quality should not degrade with each generation.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

This is just a sad state of affairs. All these great bars spending all that cash on the nice flat-screen tvs and plastering them everywhere, but not a one is willing to spend just a little more cash to wire it up for real HDTV.

Several places have Bell ExpressVu running so the HDTV add on costs $10 more a month? To be fair, there are probably a lot or restrictions for commercial use, but it seems to me someone somewhere in town would go to the effort. It might even attract customers who would not ordinarily go. Sad.

A sports package for Bell ExpressVu for a bar costs about $600/mo. A Canucks pay-per-view game costs $130 for a bar. A Salmon Kings away game costs $400US per game for a poor-quality web stream.

#15 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:49 AM

I knew it was something like that. But is the commercial fee more if they hook up the tvs correctly? Several bars must be paying the fee because I see them changing channels and it's ExpressVu. I'm just asking that one of those big nice tv sets be wired up for HDTV.

What does Shaw charge?

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

Shaw will wire up 4 HDTVs for $16,500, and I forget what the monthly charge is for Shaw - somewhere in the range of $500/month for regular cable.

#17 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

Yow! I guess we'll have to settle for less. Very few businesses can justify that expense. That's an insane fee. I'm thinking an antenna might get the signal from Seattle or Vancouver if it was high enough.

If it were me, I'd sneak in my home decoder box and hook it up for the Super Bowl, and remove it afterwards.

#18 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:01 PM

When it comes to men in spandex, anything less than HD just won't do.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

Yow! I guess we'll have to settle for less. Very few businesses can justify that expense. That's an insane fee. I'm thinking an antenna might get the signal from Seattle or Vancouver if it was high enough.

If it were me, I'd sneak in my home decoder box and hook it up for the Super Bowl, and remove it afterwards.

Feb 22nd, 2007 : The city allows itself to be bullied into shelving a height standard that has served us well for years

Feb 26th, 2007 : Local sports-bar bullied into spending $4000 by VV forumers.

Good news. Soprano's has gone and done it. One big-screen 75"h x 130"w full HDTV starting March 15th or so.

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Nice!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users