Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#261 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

^ Yes, it was a two-phase project from the beginning, with the corner being developed first. The difference now is that the DP drawings only reference Phase 1, so we don't know exactly what to expect when the project is built out.

#262 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

railyards.JPG

This is the most recent design from March 2018 (the prior design was from January 2018).

The development permit application is going to Council tomorrow evening (Thursday May 24).

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 23 May 2018 - 07:14 AM.

#263 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

Aaaand it looks like just about everything else, but with cortan steel cladding instead of teal spandrel

• Nparker likes this

#264 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:35 AM

The old town would be awesome if only there were some new apartment buildings that look like old apartment buildings in Saanich.

Seriously, what has happened here? When new buildings in the old town reference heritage they should be referencing "old town" buildings, yes? Not 1970s apartment blocks from the neighbourhoods or the suburbs?

• zoomer, Nparker and LV like this

#265 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:36 AM

Wow! From inventive and different to suburban and bland. The latest design makes zero effort to reflect its environment. Pam will love it.

• Baro and zoomer like this

#266 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

Doesn'tworks: A Curious Urban Dichotomy That Sucks and Blows at Once.

• Jackerbie and LV like this

#267 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

The whole concept stems from a form resembling a converted factory-type structure. Like an old loft warehouse, fitting into the industrial old neighbourhood.

Now it's a confused muddle. It doesn't know what to be. Design by committee. Everybody meant well but the result lacks cohesion and intent.

• aastra and jonny like this

#268 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

...Everybody meant well...

But did they? Who was objecting to the original, more industrial design proposed for this location?

Edited by Nparker, 23 May 2018 - 08:28 AM.

#269 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:26 AM

It's an attractive low rise condo building, but the design does not make sense at all downtown. 

#270 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:31 AM

But did they? Who was objecting the original, more industrial design proposed for this location?

Minutes from the first Advisory Design Panel meeting: http://www.victoria....ly 26, 2017.pdf

Minutes from the second ADP meeting: http://www.victoria....ry 28, 2018.pdf

Council asked for balconies and larger windows at the COTW meeting on Oct 5, 2017. There was concern that the building looked too institutional.

• Rob Randall likes this

#271 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:35 AM

Council asked for balconies and larger windows at the COTW meeting on Oct 5, 2017.

This makes sense. Everyone should be afforded equal opportunity to sit at home, indoors or out, and not see the Sooke Hills.

#272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:39 AM

...Council asked for balconies and larger windows at the COTW meeting on Oct 5, 2017. There was concern that the building looked too institutional.

I argue then that Council did not mean well, if it felt that a building in this part of the city needed to look like every other low-rise condo project.

#273 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

This building with a very clear design goal of looking industrial to fit into a historic industrial area just looks too industrial.  Can you make it look more suburban, make it look like every wood-frame apartment from the last 40 years?  AH, much better.

• Nparker and jonny like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#274 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

This is a frickin disaster! And what’s with the hanging posts? Are we bringing back capital punishment?
  • Nparker, jonny and LV like this

#275 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

I wonder, if the suburban version had been the original proposal would it have been refined over time to be more like the industrial version? The entire process just seems so arbitrary to me. What's the goal? Does anybody know? Tweaking for the sake of tweaking?

I think about the ground floor of the latest incarnation of the rental proposal for Quadra and Johnson and I wonder how appropriateness is being determined.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#276 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

...And what’s with the hanging posts?...

They are practically the only design element left from the original proposal. I imagine they will be the next to go.

#277 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

...what’s with the hanging posts?

Pretty sure those were there from the beginning. Every step of the way, somebody thought it was important to keep them.

#278 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:31 PM

I imagine they will be the next to go.

What?? And totally change it?

• Nparker likes this

#279 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

...And what’s with the hanging posts?..

They are practically the only design element left from the original proposal. I imagine they will be the next to go.

What?? And totally change it?

If there's even the slightest chance they will block Pam's view of the Sooke Hills as she drives by this project, the posts are toast.

#280 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

"Toast" would be a cool name for a condo building. When you walk by you could point to it and say, "That building is Toast."

Edit:

For some reason this building in Australia is called "The Toaster" but I'm not sure that I get it...

Edited by aastra, 23 May 2018 - 12:44 PM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users