Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#181 Chris City

Chris City
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Walking to work this morning I noticed the parking lot was closed and an excavator was digging a hole near the back of the lot.

#182 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

I wonder if the sales people for this project will be telling potential buyers, "Hey, just so you know... On at least two weekends per year, you're going to hear a lot of loud music coming from a block away from the Phillips Brewery area."

#183 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

Has this one changed again or is it just because we can see more detail in the new renderings? It seems like there's a two-tone effect with the cladding now?

pics from http://ironworksliving.com

project-1-lightbox.jpg

IronWorks.jpg

Edited by aastra, 23 November 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#184 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

I wonder if the sales people for this project will be telling potential buyers, "Hey, just so you know... On at least two weekends per year, you're going to hear a lot of loud music coming from a block away from the Phillips Brewery area."

While true, I would fully expect anyone choosing to live right downtown in the city core of a metro region pushing 400K, near the waterfront and major tourist area to boot, is at the same time accepting of the fact they are doing just that - and not taking up residence in a museum. Then again this is Victoria...

#185 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

Also, doesn't the rendering show a 4-story building on the corner of Herald and Store Street?

Correction: a 3-story building? If that building represents a pending project then it (the pending project) seems too short by a fair bit, unless the levels are really tall or something.

Edited by aastra, 02 November 2017 - 04:54 PM.

#186 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:28 PM

Also, doesn't the rendering show a 4-story building on the corner of Herald and Store Street?

There's a one story Landsman Building at that corner, but it could be stretched a bit.

#187 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:24 AM

No replies? What's happened to this board? Back in the day a phantom building in the background of a rendering would have generated 200 replies, easy. Fiendishly clever puns, hilarious new memes, the works.

Heck, back in the day even phantom trees in the background of a rendering would have generated a couple of pages.

As for Ironworks, I'd say it's interesting enough now to make a go of it. Not sure about the sheer amount of commercial space, but then again the potential for more pot shops in Victoria seems to be unlimited and not governed in any way by the fundamentals of supply and demand, competition, location/location/location, walk-by traffic, vehicle access/parking, etc.

• Nparker likes this

#188 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

...Fiendishly clever puns...

I had some amazingly clever and hilarious puns, but chose not to post them in order to maintain the high calibre and dignity of Vibrant Victoria discussions.

I will say that it does appear as though there has been some sort of cladding modification if the above renderings are accurate.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#189 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

I will say that it does appear as though there has been some sort of cladding modification if the above renderings are accurate.

It's probably just a more detailed rendering. Most of what we saw previously was for massing. I imagine that the cladding material is exactly the same, but now they're just showing a more honest depiction of how it will look. Some of the earlier posts in this thread show completed projects with the same material, and they all have subtle differences in tone.

Basically we're looking at a reverse of the bridge situation: utilitarian renderings at the beginning, and then more attention to the design and aesthetics at the end.

#190 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:04 AM

...I imagine that the cladding material is exactly the same, but now they're just showing a more honest depiction of how it will look...

That's a bit of a shame. Making even minor variations in the cladding helps to break up the huge undifferentiated facade that is probably this proposal's weakest point.

#191 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

You can always buy in Langford and spend 1.5 hours each day listening to soft tunes in your car.

Edited by MarkoJ, 03 November 2017 - 11:26 AM.

• VicHockeyFan, Bingo and thundergun like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#192 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:14 AM

These new renderings looks awesome in my opinion. Even though it is woodframed the architecture/massing gives the impression of concrete. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#193 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

As for the phantom building, I just realized that is the Volvo shop/parking lot. Is there a proposal for that lot? It is very unusual for a developer to include hypothetical buildings in their renderings. The Gateway Green/Townline plans were the first time developers even acknowledged what was going on next door and that was because City Hall told them to include each others' buildings in their renderings.

Although it is wood frame, I assume there is a steel framework for those steel panels to hang off from. That cladding is heavy. You don't want that stuff popping off in an earthquake.

#194 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

...even minor variations in the cladding helps to break up the huge undifferentiated facade...

The new images seem to show brown-ish panels in the middle part of the long building and orange-ish panels on the ends.

#195 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

I think they're just simulating the effects of the elements on the rusty steel panels. There will be great variation depending on the weather.

#196 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

Correction: a 3-story building? If that building represents a pending project then it (the pending project) seems too short by a fair bit, unless the levels are really tall or something.

Mike claimed the Lou Poy family was developing that lot a couple of years ago:

http://vibrantvictor...rcial-proposed/

#197 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:25 PM

Council is considering issuing a development permit this Thursday (Nov 23)...
  • Nparker likes this

#198 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

You can always buy in Langford and spend 1.5 hours each day listening to soft tunes in your car.

I think that time is a little conservative, its probably closer to 2+ hours

#199 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

Council is considering issuing a development permit this Thursday (Nov 23)...

This was not approved... Council has sent this back to the developer to refine/tweak the design.

#200 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

This was not approved... Council has sent this back to the developer to refine/tweak the design.

But the Tally Ho slumification passed.  :whyme:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users