Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#361 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Anyone talk to the sales team about pricing on some of the smaller units? 

#362 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

Anyone talk to the sales team about pricing on some of the smaller units? 

All the units at this development are small. Are you interested in the studios specifically?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#363 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:56 PM

According to their website, construction starts... tomorrow? I wasn't aware construction was happening so soon but I am more than ecstatic about this project and happy to see it moving along.

http://ironworksliving.com

Edited by Brantastic, 09 September 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#364 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:50 PM

Good, development in that part of town can't start soon enough. Ironworks doing good by striking first blood.

#365 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

I'm not a big fan of the micro studios.  The floor plans show no built in murphy bed like they have at the janion, or promontory.    Rather the floor plans all show "pull out couches" which is not nearly as appealing for either living or as a short term rental.   If you want to install your own murphy bed, then the spaces make it difficult or awkward to have a couch in the unit. All of the micro studios have this same odd flaw which I find limits the practicality of the units and turns me off from buying one as an investment.  

Compare the two floor plans below.  The first is from the ironworks.  The second from a similar building in Vancouver.  The ironworks floorplan is about 50sqft larger, but does not have nearly the same appeal.  Part of the reason Janion was so attractive is because despite the small space, the units were still well thought out and very livable.  Even if buyers were to add their own murphy beds, there's still something "off" about the space.  

Maybe this is just me being picky. 

floorplan-2A-large.jpgUNIT+2.jpg?format=750w

• thundergun likes this

#366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

You'd be surprised at just how amazing modern pull-out couches can be. They're not the futons we remember as kids, that's for sure.

The nice thing about not having a murphy bed is it gives you opportunity to decorate a wall, to situate a television, or station some other furniture in a space that would otherwise be the Murphy bed's domain.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#367 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:59 AM

...the floor plans all show "pull out couches" which is not nearly as appealing for either living or as a short term rental...

Is this property zoned to allow short term rentals?

#368 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:18 AM

Is this property zoned to allow short term rentals?

From what I see short-term rental is permitted as a home occupation, i.e. only if the unit is the primary residence of the rental operator.

#369 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

Yuk! A wall bed is way better. Easier to set up EVERY NIGHT and more comfortable.
https://resourcefurn...vs-wall-beds-1/
The only way this remotely works is as a hotel for singles. But.... that’s not legal. I don’t get this at all.

#370 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 08:15 PM

I agree with the bed wall > bed couch crowd; I'd much rather tie up wall space than floor room and you can use whatever mattress works for you. 

#371 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:31 AM

You’re only tying up floor space when you’re sleeping on the couch, otherwise it’s the shape of a couch you’d have in your home anyways.

You can also setup your own wall bed if you’re so inclined. They’re not that expensive, but modern couch beds are amazing. It’s all in the quality of the unit.

What always surprised me was how bad North American options have historically been for couch beds. Europeans were sleeping on luxurious units while we had two inch foam contraptions that broke your back. Things have thankfully changed but Europe was ahead by like 30 years in that regard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#372 Teej48

Teej48
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:04 AM

We were shopping for a Murphy bed for our 595 Pandora condo when we discovered tha Palliser fold out bed.
Winnipeg based company, they assemble mexican sourced parts in Canada. Great memory mattress on a woven base (no bars), Easy fold forward opening with no cushion repositioning and half the price of the amarican leather alternative.
Made for continuous as opposed to occasional use.
We bought two!

#373 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

I'm not a big fan of the micro studios.  The floor plans show no built in murphy bed like they have at the janion, or promontory.    Rather the floor plans all show "pull out couches" which is not nearly as appealing for either living or as a short term rental.   If you want to install your own murphy bed, then the spaces make it difficult or awkward to have a couch in the unit. All of the micro studios have this same odd flaw which I find limits the practicality of the units and turns me off from buying one as an investment.  

Compare the two floor plans below.  The first is from the ironworks.  The second from a similar building in Vancouver.  The ironworks floorplan is about 50sqft larger, but does not have nearly the same appeal.  Part of the reason Janion was so attractive is because despite the small space, the units were still well thought out and very livable.  Even if buyers were to add their own murphy beds, there's still something "off" about the space.  

Maybe this is just me being picky. 

floorplan-2A-large.jpgUNIT+2.jpg?format=750w

anyone who tells me they sleep on a fold out couch and I immediately think you are poor.  In my mind that's one step up from sleeping in a van in a parking lot

I agree with Dasmo's comment, they would be a super pain in the ass to set up each night compared to a murphy bed

And I see the owners love life going to zero.  How the hell do you bring a woman over and tell her you need 5 minutes to set it up.  I can already her thinking of any excuse to get the hell out of there (yes, I kept it family rated)

Anyone know how well these are selling?

#374 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:45 AM

"I'm gonna give it to you real good, once I push my couch into the kitchen, pull out the bed and put the pillows and blankets in the right spot."

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#375 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:11 PM

Based on my research I have found that every woman that learns you have a murphy bed insists on seeing how it works. 

• nagel and Casual Kev like this

#376 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:03 PM

Based on my research I have found that every woman that learns you have a murphy bed insists on seeing how it works. 

How does that compare to a randall bed?

• Rob Randall likes this

#377 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

Anyone know how well these are selling?

It's one of the best-selling condo releases in recent years.

Know it all.

#378 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:36 PM

"Hello Murphy Bed company, how fast can you deliver?  No, I don't how much it costs I need it here stat"  lol

It's one of the best-selling condo releases in recent years.

Interesting, I can only assume because they are cheap

Do we know if they started construction this week?

• Rob Randall likes this

#379 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:53 PM

They will be starting this week or next.

Know it all.

#380 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:20 PM

The thing with the Ironworks is the pricepoint is/was amazing. I sold a 283 sq/ft unit at Janion for 325k (no parking) and then two weeks later Ironworks launched, and they had units starting at 325k around 400 sq/ft WITH parking. So you can argue Janion floorplan(s) are more efficient but difficult to overcome 100 sq/ft+ larger and a parking spot. 

No short term rentals in this building. Does not have the zoning.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users