Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#541 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:45 AM

Mural so heavy it toppled the building.

#542 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:58 AM

It took some heavy lifting, but I got this upright for you Marko.  :D

mural.jpg

• DavidSchell likes this

#543 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:12 PM

I imagine architects laugh to themselves whenever someone falls for the "rusty metal" joke.

#544 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 03:27 PM

wtf

#545 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:00 PM

Does someone have the background on this piece?

Can't wrap my head around it. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#546 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:08 AM

I recognize it, but I don't know if it's because I saw a photo or if it was installed in another location. It's a collaborative piece done in 2012 by VV's favourite muralist Gilroy, who also created the masterpiece Lecherous Grandpa, which we all knew so well.

https://www.bclocaln...victoria-mural/

As part of the association’s Art History 150 project, artist Steve Milroy designed a scaled version of the mural, Justice.

He then split the art into 120 individual two-foot-by-two-foot panels, which will be presold for $50 and can be painted by the donor – or assigned to an artist – creating a unique mosaic.

Once complete, the mural will be installed at 533 Chatham St.

#547 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 07:33 AM

It formerly faced west overlooking the parking lot on which this building stands.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#548 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:49 AM

Not that I expect redevelopment to happen on the adjacent property to the south anytime soon, but wouldn't this mural likely be hidden if that were to happen? It probably should have been installed at the top floor for a better chance of longevity and better overall visibility.

#549 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:06 AM

It formerly faced west overlooking the parking lot on which this building stands.

That's exactly right.  This first cropped pic is from 2014:

DSC01889 crop.JPG

This one is from 2019:

DSC00887 crop.JPG

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#550 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:08 AM

Any purchasers lurking on here? Starting to look for Murphy bed solutions for my studio, wondering if anyone has any suggestions. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#551 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:47 AM

Any purchasers lurking on here? Starting to look for Murphy bed solutions for my studio, wondering if anyone has any suggestions. 

I like the one I have from Costco, though it may not be the best solution for a studio. They do have a lot of options on their site, and good value too.

#552 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:49 AM

I like the one I have from Costco, though it may not be the best solution for a studio. They do have a lot of options on their site, and good value too.

Is it relatively easy to secure to wall? I am paranoid about drilling through a main water supply line :)

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#553 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:53 AM

That's the ol' waterbed trick, to drill into the stack and draw free water.

• Nparker, Matt R., lanforod and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#554 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:27 AM

Is it relatively easy to secure to wall? I am paranoid about drilling through a main water supply line :)

Wall anchors, not 6" spikes or anything. I don't think you'll get away with anything less when it comes to anchoring a wall bed. You'll have to be careful no matter what you do though. 

https://www.bestar.c...wall-structure/

#555 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:18 AM

I installed one of these units from Expand Furniture in the den of one of my units in Vancouver.  https://expandfurnit...-or-microfiber/

Its a great unit and extremely comfortable.  Not cheep, but love the fact it is dual use with a sofa and bed both.  You don't have to remove a pile of cushions to open the bed but its way more comfortable than a normal sofa bed.  You can leave all the bedding on when it folds up and don't have to move the ottoman extension, coffee table, etc. when you open it so its fantastic in a small space such as a studio.  The leather is quite a bit darker and looks much better in person than the web ad. 

Attached Images

• IMG_1334.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#556 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:24 AM

I installed one of these units from Expand Furniture in the den of one of my units in Vancouver....

But it is so heavy that it knocked the entire unit onto its side!  :lol:

#557 IPH

IPH
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:38 AM

sorry, amature user that couldn't figure out how to turn the photo, lol!  It is heavy though, think its about 600lbs!

Edited by IPH, 29 May 2020 - 08:41 AM.

#558 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, just leave it on its side. That's way too heavy to lift.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#559 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:16 AM

I've been working out, I'll do it...

post-4886-0-26299100-1590769060.jpg

#560 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

There are pros and cons to the murphy bed. They permanently stick out about 18 inches or so, creating unusable space. The sofa takes up more room but it's useful in the daytime. However, with the murphy bed you can buy your own real mattress for it. No compromises in comfort. 

I would recommend about once a year tightening down all the screws and lag bolts. The heavy use a murphy bed gets, especially from me, puts wear on the parts and if they are not kept tight they will eventually fall apart 

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users