Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#61 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

I agree that it's too much of the same cladding. I would do maybe a grey or even charcoal shade of brick up the first three floors with cor ten cladding the top two floors. There also needs to be some vertical breaking up of the wall on the longer side of the building via something. Maybe an old school fire escape or two?

Also, I would have a giant lit up billboard style sign that says "Ironworks" on the longer edge.

• aastra likes this

#62 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:42 PM

^Yeah, I was thinking it needs signage of some kind. Union and Janion have it. How about in neon?

And something needs to bisect it. Like a big vertical column of stained grey concrete. Or grey brick like Escher. I think you can get black brick with a terra-cotta type glaze on it. 

• jonny likes this

#63 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

bifold doors could work also if there's concern over pedestrians getting hit by the garage-type ones

stringio.jpg
http://www.archdaily...sm-architekten/

this one has a mesh so that it has a texture & some parts are see-through or sort of translucent & some parts aren't but it's one continuous plane for a clean look

stringio.jpg

stringio.jpg

http://www.archdaily...q4-arquitectura

Edited by amor de cosmos, 02 March 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#64 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'm wondering why Mr LeFevre hasn't hired some of the extremely tasteful talent available right here on VV, to improve upon his rather lacklustre initial design.

"Ironworks" is so fraught with potential.  Imagine Expsosed I-Beams, Huge Bolts, and a harkening to welding, smelting, fabricating, ie., all things iron, not just rust.

This house features exposed weathered steel/iron mixed with contrete and wood.  Its windows have two closures, the first is wooden slats for filtered light, the second weathered steel -- both are electrically controlled from inside.  How cool would that be at the Ironworks.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 1.55.49 PM.png

Edited by JanionGuy, 02 March 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

I'm wondering why Mr LeFevre hasn't hired some of the extremely tasteful talent available right here on VV, to improve upon his rather lacklustre initial design.

Where do I submit my portfolio?

post-5-0-60103800-1481323215.png

• Rob Randall, Nparker and thundergun like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

Here is a side view of the same house, coincidentally designed by the firm olson kundig as mentioned by amor de cosmos in an earlier post.  (The house is a few blocks from my place and i watched it getting built).  I think the rusted metal talked about here works very well when combined with exposed iron (epoxy coated) beams and posts, and exposed concrete.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 2.09.32 PM.png

#67 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

Here is a side view of the same house, coincidentally designed by the firm olson kundig as mentioned by amor de cosmos in an earlier post.  

not a coincidence, their stuff is great

#68 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

These are great examples but I think they are probably a little outside LeFevre's aesthetic comfort zone. Also, his experience in heritage means he's a very low-budget guy.

Christine Lintott is the architect. Her biggest design that I know of is the old Radius project while working for Merrick.

Edited by Rob Randall, 02 March 2017 - 02:53 PM.

#69 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

LeFevre's offerings are usually lower to mid range buildings, as I expect this one will be. So, I don't expect anything too wild, but I think this can look a lot better with a few minor changes and some variation.

#70 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

LeFevre's offerings are usually lower to mid range buildings, as I expect this one will be. So, I don't expect anything too wild, but I think this can look a lot better with a few minor changes and some variation.

All true.  The point is, perhaps there could be just a weenie bit of inspiration in the design?  LeFevre's local projects are all low to mid range but at least they have some interesting materials and features.

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

I would do maybe a grey or even charcoal shade of brick up the first three floors with cor ten cladding the top two floors. There also needs to be some vertical breaking up of the wall on the longer side of the building via something.

If another surface material is introduced above the ground floor, I think it should "intrude" vertically rather than emphasize the already overwhelming horizontal design. 

Attached Images

• ironworks.jpg

#72 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

All true.  The point is, perhaps there could be just a weenie bit of inspiration in the design?  LeFevre's local projects are all low to mid range but at least they have some interesting materials and features.

Yeah, I don't think anyone here is disagreeing with you. This one's a bit of a yawner.

• Nparker likes this

#73 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

I think sectioning the cladding would be the easiest way to break up the monotony along the length of it.

I would do maybe a grey or even charcoal shade of brick up the first three floors with cor ten cladding the top two floors...

I like what you're cooking but I'd flip it around. Put the Corten stuff on levels 2-4, then some dark grey panel or whatever on the top level. And do something with the roof line treatment for a portion of that long section to suggest variation in the roof line (actual variation would be better, but we're being thrifty here).

Silly question, but why do the renderings seem to show such a blah cladding for the building itself but plenty of that rusty texture for the three pillars on the corner?

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

Gotta say, I'm really underwhelmed by this:

(EDIT: this comment is no longer applicable to the images below since the images were updated at the source at some point later on. In general I think the refined images are much improved over the earlier images. The previously monotonous appearance of the longer building has been broken up.)

project-3-lightbox.jpg

project-1-lightbox.jpg

pics from http://www.ironworksliving.com/

Edited by aastra, 02 November 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#75 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

I'm really underwhelmed by this:

Even though I said the monotony of the long building was overwhelming.

Edited by aastra, 02 March 2017 - 06:03 PM.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

I'd just like to see some mildly varying heights on the Discovery (?) and Store St. slabs.  And  just mean a few feet, not stories.  That's all.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

I'd just like to see some mildly varying heights on the Discovery (?) and Store St. slabs.  And  just mean a few feet, not stories.  That's all.

And all the street facing facades desperately need some articulation to mitigate the current institutional effect.

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

And all the street facing facades desperately need some articulation to mitigate the current institutional effect.

Right and you can do that by stepping in or out every third unit or so by just a few feet, even if you need a variance to keep your sq. footage.

• Nparker likes this

#79 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Right and you can do that by stepping in or out every third unit or so by just a few feet, even if you need a variance to keep your sq. footage.

Precisely.

#80 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:17 PM

will that be a public or semi-public plaza in the middle? will those be live/work units there then? i just noticed that this is more than that gravel parking lot because that inner courtyard connects with the parking lot on herald, which is a cool idea. if they're thinking of having panels that are more like 'pure rust' rather than knarly looking with welds, etc and if all that grey is real concrete with a clean pattern made by the wall-ties then it could still work. i think i'll still reserve judgement until we see more images.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)