APPROVED
Christie Point, building A
Use: rental
Address: Craigowen Road
Municipality: View Royal
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Christie Point, building A, is a six-storey purpose-built rental complex part of the eight-phase Christie Poin... (view full profile)
Learn more about Christie Point, building A on Citified.ca
Photo

[View Royal] Christie Point

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:34 AM

Times Colonist article:

"$200 million rental housing plan pitched for View Royal"

http://www.timescolo...royal-1.6418140

The bulk of the $200 million development budget will go toward construction costs, she said. That includes $500,000 to be spent on the intersection at Shoreline Drive and the Island Highway, another $200,000 on Shoreline Drive improvements such as a new sidewalk and street lights. A total of $1.5 million in building permit fees will go to View Royal. Another $1 million will go to the region’s affordable housing fund.

Plans call for buildings to meet LEED system environmental standards or equivalents.

Edited by gkz, 06 January 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#22 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

I'm kind of confused. On Google Maps it looks like there is already a development on this site?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#23 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

i'm glad they didn't go with 9-story buildings. it looks much better with them set amongst the trees

Attached Images

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

i'm glad they didn't go with 9-story buildings. it looks much better with them set amongst the trees

It would terrible if buildings in the CRD were ever taller than the trees - or heaven forbid - Hydro/telephone poles!  :eek:

• DavidSchell likes this

#25 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

This would be nicer....P3R24US.jpg

• Nparker and RFS like this

#26 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

It would terrible if buildings in the CRD were ever taller than the trees - or heaven forbid - Hydro/telephone poles!  :eek:

This would be nicer....P3R24US.jpg

you mean destroy the rhythm of the sawtooth pattern made by the roofline, which is reminiscent of the line of treetops the project is set amongst? to accomplish what, add maybe 10 units to the project which already has around 500? no thanks

#27 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:28 PM

No, I mean varry the massing and rooftop heights to reflect the rhythm of the trees and create view corridors. No added units since other sections could be lower and more row house like...

Edited by dasmo, 06 January 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#28 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

I like the blend in of the shorter version.

#29 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

I like the blend in of the shorter version.

because the trees hide it.  :banana:

#30 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

I gotta look at that from the Goose when I go get booze at Eagle Creek.  I like to pretend it's some sort of freak forest protruding into the water.

#31 Malahat

Malahat
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

looks pretty good from this angle.

a doubling of rental units in that area (where not much new product gets built) will only help the situation.

we're staring down the barrel of about 3,500 new rental units in the greater victoria region? 

not bad.

• jonny likes this

#32 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

I'm kind of confused. On Google Maps it looks like there is already a development on this site?

Yes, there is. 

http://www.realstar....apartments.html

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Yes, built in the 60's.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#34 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

chek story
http://www.cheknews....nounced-253569/

#35 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

Only been down there one time and it shocked me. Shabby rental apartments on what might be the best strip of land in the region. Common sense says this should be a vacation spot for a 1%er
  • Nparker, jonny, Dr. Barillas and 1 other like this

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

Only been down there one time and it shocked me. Shabby rental apartments on what might be the best strip of land in the region. Common sense says this should be a vacation spot for a 1%er

Ya, that's what I always thought.  Although at some tides and time of year it can be slightly stinky.

• RoadRunner likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, same here. I was shocked to see what was/is on that land.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, same here. I was shocked to see what was/is on that land.

I recall the first time I was ever out that way 25+ years ago; even then I thought it looked like a run down, 2-level mobile home park situated on some of the most picturesque land in the region. Time has not improved the impression one bit.

#39 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Took a ride down on Friday having never done so before... I had no idea there was anything down that road even though I'd gone past Shoreline a thousand times on Craigflower. 

The idea of updating the area and adding many more units is an admirable one but where are all of the current tenants going to go in the meantime? 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#40 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

The proposed re-development project at Christie Point has got me to thinking.

Would the project be in the cards if rent controls in British Columbia did not play a roll in the rental market industry? It would appear that the property was sold to a deep pocket developer in 2014. The vision for the property appears to remain as rental and not to be sold off in bite sized pieces. I wonder why the previous owner decided to sell?

One of the possible reasons is that due to rent controls the financial incentive to keep and maintain the buildings doesn't exist. While there is a clause to assist landlords should an unexpected cost arise, for the most part the maintenance costs need to be absorbed within the 2.5-3.5% annual increases allowed by the BC government.

In my opinion, when something upsets the natural supply and demand cycle of business, there is a manageable unbalance in the short term that will ultimately affect the long term viability. Christie Point is no exception.

It is not unreasonable to assume that in today's market, this property is underutilized. It is not unreasonable to assume that the current owner will not be able to continue to rent to the existing tenants at the current rents, given that they most likely paid top dollar for such a property and given that the government restricts rental increases no matter what the income and expense ledger states.

It is also not unreasonable to have feelings for those who are caught up in an artificial cat and mouse game that ultimately will catch someone in some sort of financial trap.

I found this paper online worth a read. http://www.walterblo...sh_columbia.pdf

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users