• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#1 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:42 AM

http://chucksburgerbar.com/

I haven't seen a thread on this yet; I apologize if this is a duplicate.

Neat little place that opened back in October-ish.  I was worried that the location (by Slegg Lumber on the West side of the highway, away from Downtown Sidney) would be troublesome for them, but apparently they're doing very well.  I found it to be on the expensive side but the burger & poutine combo I ordered was worth the trip.  I'll definitely be giving them another shot (building my own burger next time to try to save some dollars).

Has anyone else tried this place?

#2 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:05 AM

I liked their turkey wings.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#3 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

The episode of "You Gotta Eat Here" featuring them is being shown @ 7am Thursday Jan. 26 on the Food Network.
  • VicHockeyFan and Jables like this

#4 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

Going tonight finally, will report back!

ETA: okay, so it was pretty tasty. Had heard the portions were big so shared with my husband. Had the Chipotle &Cheddar Burger (subbed onion rings instead of fries) and... get this ... Lobster Poutine.

Burger? Awesome, just the right amount of heat, burger not too well done so it was moist and still had flavours of meat rather than most burger joints these days. Onion rings? Perfect.

Poutine? Meh. Mostly because there wasn't enough gravy to melt the curds... and the lobster pieces, while plentiful, were COLD. Off-putting. Not too off-putting to not eat it (ha) but definitely think the lobster pieces should have been pan roasted slightly in butter or something THEN topped on the Poutine. And plus more gravy was needed.

Will definitely be back. SUCH an odd location!

Edited by LocalMom, 09 April 2017 - 10:54 AM.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#5 Banksy

Banksy
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

My spidey senses tell me the downtown restaurant may not last into 2021. The original staff that made it great have disappeared and the quality now is really awful.When I think back to how salty the food was I still reach for a cup of water. It started so good tho and has bombed fast.

#6 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 03:59 PM

Sidney location closed down before Xmas. Allegedly staff were stiffed on their final 2 weeks pay.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,163 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

Oh oh. The place remains listed for sale at $150k.

I know some folks who live above the downtown location and they've mentioned something to the effect of there being staff retention issues.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:13 PM

Restaurant staffing is the hardest part of the biz. I love love love giving out five year bonuses!

I have kept in touch with lots of folks in Victoria, and for some reason right now there are lots of resume floating around, people are on the move and loyalty is hard earned.

Matt.

#9 jeffifah

jeffifah
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

Oh oh. The place remains listed for sale at $150k.

I know some folks who live above the downtown location and they've mentioned something to the effect of there being staff retention issues.

Having recently met the owner (who just sold),  I can certainly understand why there would be staff retention issues. 

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#10 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:06 PM

Something is happening at the old Sidney location, trades in and out the door. Can't tell what's going in yet.

• Mike K. likes this

#11 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:54 PM

https://www.fourquartersmarket.com/

Taken over the old Chucks premises.

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,299 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 04:59 PM

Won’t last with that concept.

#13 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:05 PM

Looks like it is more butcher shop than restaurant?

#14 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:13 PM

Marys cafe Sidney confirming a case. We were in there 22nd.

#15 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:22 PM

Also 10 acres in Sidney.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,163 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 06:52 PM

Oh oh.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,163 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 07:47 AM

Chuck’s has issued a statement regarding allegations involving a bartender to works there. Free drinks served to girls, and predatory behaviour. They’ve issued a release saying they’re aware of the allegations.

Know it all.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,163 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:05 AM

“Our main priority at Chuck’s is to provide a safe and enjoyable experience to our staff and guests. We have recently been informed of allegations towards one of our staff members. We take these sorts of matters very seriously and the staff member in question has been suspended while we work with professionals to investigate this matter. Thank you for putting your trust in Chuck’s. We will always do our best for you, our staff and the community that we love so much.”

Know it all.

#19 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:14 AM

That's unheard of to put out a statement like that. 

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,163 posts

Posted 01 February 2021 - 08:16 AM

It’s not very good, is it?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users