Photo

How long until we achieve a truly cashless society?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,880 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

Interesting article and fun to speculate: if India, the world's second most populous nation and 7th largest economy by GDP, is poised to eliminate not only cash but also the use altogether of debit and credit cards, in addition to ATM's within the next decade (or much sooner if the article is to be believed), how far away are we I wonder from a completely cashless global society?

http://money.cnn.com...epage_tech_pool

#2 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

I already don't use cash in Canada. Only time is when on vacation
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3 nerka

nerka
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:56 PM

call me retro but I still use cash quite a bit. I just don't like my every purchase being tracked.

Also it can be efficient. I hate standing in line for coffee and everybody is fumbling for cards and keying in PINs.  There should be an express lane for caffeine deprived people that just want to quickly trade a loonie or toonie for their fix.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,219 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:11 PM

Also it can be efficient. I hate standing in line for coffee and everybody is fumbling for cards and keying in PINs.

Who uses PINs to pay for coffee?  That's what contactless payment is for. 

What we should have though are signs in the lineups reading "You've been standing in line for 5 minutes, why haven't you bothered to dig your card out of the bottom of your bag yet?"  Or "Oh, it took you until the cashier asked for payment before you realized you'd need your card?"

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

...There should be an express lane for caffeine deprived people that just want to quickly trade a loonie or toonie for their fix.

Outside of McDonald's, where are you getting coffee for a single twonie, yet alone a loonie??  :confused:

• nerka likes this

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Who uses PINs to pay for coffee?  That's what contactless payment is for...

You'd be surprised how many places still don't offer this service.

• jonny and Midnightly like this

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,880 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

Outside of McDonald's, where are you getting coffee for a single twonie, yet alone a loonie??  :confused:

(Almost) at the 7-11 right beside my office on Government Street; fresh brewed, $1.25 for an 8 oz cup. Good to go. Paid with a debit card of course.....teenage daughter's have a way of pilfering all the old man's coin. :)

It'll be interesting as the Indian initiative(s) take flight how or if the trend there influences other (G8?) principally economies....

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

...at the 7-11 right beside my office on Government Street; fresh brewed, $1.25 for an 8 oz cup...

:squint:

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,219 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

I can't believe you chumps actually pay for coffee :P

• Matt R. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,880 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

I *could* join the office "Coffee Club" and pay them $5/month but it is government coffee after all. I miss the good old days of the private sector - coffee? There's the kitchen, there's the coffee, fill your boots. All day. For $0. Sigh....

Anyway not so sure I'd want to be among the first people involved in a trial POC for a PCI eye chip, but it does point in general terms to what's likely coming, including browsing the web via a similar (eye) interface....

#11 nerka

nerka
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

True. The only one dollar coffee I have had lately was bad gas station coffee. $1 with a fill-up.

My local haunts around work serve decent drip coffee if you bring a re-usable mug for either $2 flat or $2 plus tax

• Nparker likes this

#12 rjag

rjag
  • 5,053 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

I use cash a lot and only use plastic if its more than $20 or so. Lots of times at dinner its easier to pay with cash especially when splitting the bill with friends. 

That being said, I find it interesting that India is looking at this considering pretty well every major purchase made outside of cities are made with cash. Whether you are buying a car or a tractor, you roll in with bundles of cash. There was chaos when they banned all the big notes and it caused a lot of problems for Indians living outside of India as well as there was no thought about how to exchange the notes internationally. 

India is already reeling from a ban on all 500 and 1,000 rupee notes announced on Nov. 8 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The two notes accounted for almost all of India's currency, and the move hit hard in a country where over 90% of transactions are in cash.

But I think the big takeaway is that 1.1 billion of them have registered their biometric data wit the government....thats another step closer to big brother. The fear also is that when economies are stumbling government can look at who has money hoarded because its all electronic and could seize it. case in point; https://www.theguard...-eu-closes-bank

#13 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

(Almost) at the 7-11 right beside my office on Government Street; fresh brewed, $1.25 for an 8 oz cup. Good to go. Paid with a debit card of course.....teenage daughter's have a way of pilfering all the old man's coin. :)

It'll be interesting as the Indian initiative(s) take flight how or if the trend there influences other (G8?) principally economies....

If you don't already, you should get the 7-11 app, gives you stars for each coffee purchase and after 6 you get a free coffee.  Also has discounts for other products, and automatically enters you in contests for each scan.

I think a year ago, someone that scanned the app at the Government street location won a trip to Machu Picchu (7 wonders of the world contest).  It turns your $1.25 coffee into a lottery ticket as well. 

Edited by UDeMan, 20 January 2017 - 04:14 PM.

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#14 North Shore

North Shore
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

Our Place?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

You'd be surprised how many places still don't offer this service.

Transactions are bank insured, not retail establishment insured

#16 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

RJAG... you do know the restaurant software has the ability to split bills, even if four people share one appy and have their own entrée? The bill can be split so each person gets a 1/4 share of the entree then their own drink and entree.. pay with debit.. no cash needed.
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#17 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,518 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:21 PM

Yeah well get this... I have to pay for water as well at work.

#18 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:43 PM

Yeah well get this... I have to pay for water as well at work.

I'd happily pay for water at work if there was something other than "Victoria" tap to choose from.

#19 rjag

rjag
  • 5,053 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:42 PM

RJAG... you do know the restaurant software has the ability to split bills, even if four people share one appy and have their own entrée? The bill can be split so each person gets a 1/4 share of the entree then their own drink and entree.. pay with debit.. no cash needed.

hehe I know that! I guess I'm from that generation where I dont feel comfortable going out if I dont have cash in my pocket. The only place I use debit is Costco and if its not cash its on the visa. 700,000 points on 1 and 300,000 on the other :)  

#20 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 686 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

i use cash, i don't like debiting/crediting items under $5, i pay my child's allowance in cash (also helps her learn the value of money when she sees it and holds it and spends it) it's also helps when you split things with friends, or need to pay for something school related like a toonie for a field trip, i don't think cash will ever fully go away.. become less common probably.. but never fully be gone

• rjag likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users