Photo

Victoria population discussion | Census data | CRD projections

• Please log in to reply
1210 replies to this topic

#81 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

The diversity you see in Vancouver is really one of the key things that I appreciate about Vancouver over Victoria.

How does that make it better though?
In chains by Keynes

#82 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:50 PM

How does that make it better though?

Phil.....don't look for "better"...look for "different"....or "alternative"...

It's a good thing...

#83 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:30 PM

I wish we had more diversity here. I think the relative mono-culture we have in victoria just ingrains the city's mental-illness related to change or anything new. Make people more used to change and newness on a cultural level and hopefully they'd be become more used to crazy things like new buildings or facads not made out of brick.

The population growth we've been getting doesn't seem very diverse either. It's the same upper middle and rich folk from back east and elsewhere buying into a fantasy version of the city and there'll be hell to pay if anyone messes with what they've purchased.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#84 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:23 AM

Diversity makes a city better by giving people more options of things to do and things to buy. The experiences generally broaden people's mind.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,162 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:26 AM

The lack of diversity here is a misconception. 62,000 residents of our region are immigrants, 44,000 of whom have a mother tongue other than English or French. Just over 10% of the population is a visible minority. This data is from the 2006 Census and the numbers have surely increased in every instance over the last five years.

For a region of a third of a million people that is also prohibitively expensive for newcomers and has few employment options compared to the largest cities in the country, Victoria's ethnic profile is more diverse than many might think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

^It depends on where you're coming from. Compared to cities like Vancouver and Toronto, both overall (obviously!) and as a percentage, Victoria is very anglo-saxon. About 43% of Greater Vancouverites claim a language other than English or French as their mother tongue. The % is about the same in the GTA, so people that i've known that come to Victoria from those places can't believe how white is, and little wonder.
In chains by Keynes

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,162 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:28 PM

What do those people think when they travel to Regina?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

I am one of those with a first language that is not English or French - I am a native German speaker

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,162 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

I am not a native English or French speaker, either.

Know it all.

#90 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Neither am I.

#91 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

What's wrong with being white? I'm a honky and damn proud of it! :P

#92 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

White power all the way. :)

Really? You want to use those words with their semantics?

#93 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

Yeah, what's wrong with having pride in one's race?

#94 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

You guys that said you were neither native English nor French speakers don't take away from Victoria's image of being very white since you are (as far as I know) all caucasian.

Getting back on topic, I think it will be interesting to see how we fared against Oshawa and Windsor this time since we were pretty much in a dead heat with Oshawa in the 2006 Census and slightly ahead of Windsor.
In chains by Keynes

#95 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

That might be true, I am white, but my family endured some serious racism when they first came over... Visible minority no, but a minority nonetheless...

And I'm thinking we'll pull well clear of Windsor the way their economy has been the last half decade or so...

#96 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

^Were they Sointula residents?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#97 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

Being a German kid in the 1970s was not great, though my sister, born in 1955, had it much worse in the 1960s.

Many of the fathers of kids I knew growing up had been in the war or had older brothers in the war. There were people who really held it against Germans. One example, my ex-mother-in-law hated me from day one because I was a German and therefore a Nazi.

It is no longer as was in the past, but when I was a kid, you may as well have renamed remembrance day "Hate the Germans Day"

#98 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

^Were they Sointula residents?

No they never lived in Sointula, but my father would get booked to play his Accordian with his band in Sointula quite often, knowing all the old Finnish polkas he said he was treated like royalty when he went up there...

#99 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

Being a German kid in the 1970s was not great, though my sister, born in 1955, had it much worse in the 1960s.

Many of the fathers of kids I knew growing up had been in the war or had older brothers in the war. There were people who really held it against Germans. One example, my ex-mother-in-law hated me from day one because I was a German and therefore a Nazi.

It is no longer as was in the past, but when I was a kid, you may as well have renamed remembrance day "Hate the Germans Day"

Where did you grow up Bernard?

I certainly saw none of that when I was growing up, and we had quite a large German population.

My father, who was overseas for 5 years, came back and married a daughter of German immigrants.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#100 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Just saw this population estimate for the province on SSP, thought it might be interesting to some of you. Some interesting values in there. First time i've seen Saanich decrease in population.....

http://www.bcstats.g...tes_Current.pdf

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Kungsberg