Victoria population discussion | Census data | CRD projections

• Please log in to reply
1228 replies to this topic

#261 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

Bernard, I made that Metchosin crack with you in mind!

Metchosin Crack would be a good name for a band.  Or a business opportunity.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#262 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

You don't need to go to Vancouver for examples. There are about as many people in James Bay and Fairfield combined as there are in Central Saanich, North Saanich, and Sidney combined.

• Nparker and nerka like this

#263 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:08 PM

lots of funny comments on the VV facebook post about this. seems a more than a few victorians don't like the news about population growth

#264 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

At the risk of going off on a soapbox re: a particular pet peeve of mine I have to ask in light of these updated figures: yet how many separate individual mayors, councils, and especially police and FD's are there on the peninsula serving what amounts to a tiny population relative to other equivalent urban jurisdictions?

This is a great example IMO why some form of amalgamation with the CRD needs to happen ultimately. What a waste and moreover IMO completely unnecessary degree of "administration" and (over)-governance/red tape.

When I lived in Kitsilano over 15 years ago - Kitsilano, simply one neighborhood within the City of Vancouver and not even a municipality - it had more people in 2001 than the entire Saanich Peninsula combined has today. We didn't have a mayor/council etc., nor was there a hue or outcry for any such nonsense. The City of Vancouver now as then has but one mayor, one council, one PD and FD and it all worked and functions just fine thank you very much. There was/is no movement among the masses to create an independent Kingdom of Kitsilano, or Duchy of Dunbar or Fiefdom of Fairview and virtually of these west side neighborhoods are bigger than half the full blown "municipalities" in the CRD - and logically, why would there be?

......And I mean seriously can anyone here tell me - with a straight face - exactly what it is that the Central Saanich PD actually does? :)

God......you're using the Mayor of Vancouver as something for us to aspire to? Lisa Helps on a unicycle. 

I would be OK with perhaps 3 or 4 cities in Victoria, but as we all know, (and has been proven through study after study after study), it will cost us. Bigger government is less efficient than smaller, regardless of the duplication of councils.  But, I think it's worth it to get past the gridlock we have today.

2.4M people vs 345K?......but 

If you are taking about "the core", you have North Vancouver City, North Vancouver District, West Vancouver, Burnaby, and New West.

If you are talking about Metro Vancouver you have Anmore, Belcarra, Bowen Island, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Delta, Langley, Langley District, Lions Bay, Maple Ridge, New Westminster, North Vancouver, North Vancouver, Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Richmond, Surrey, Tsawwassen, Vancouver, West Vancouver, White Rock, Electoral Area A Unincorporated Area

#265 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:43 PM

Look at Langford budget vs. Oak Bay ad Esq. budget combined.

Then see who saves.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#266 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

God......you're using the Mayor of Vancouver as something for us to aspire to? Lisa Helps on a unicycle. 

I would be OK with perhaps 3 or 4 cities in Victoria, but as we all know, (and has been proven through study after study after study), it will cost us. Bigger government is less efficient than smaller, regardless of the duplication of councils.  But, I think it's worth it to get past the gridlock we have today.

2.4M people vs 345K?......but 

If you are taking about "the core", you have North Vancouver City, North Vancouver District, West Vancouver, Burnaby, and New West.

If you are talking about Metro Vancouver you have Anmore, Belcarra, Bowen Island, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Delta, Langley, Langley District, Lions Bay, Maple Ridge, New Westminster, North Vancouver, North Vancouver, Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Richmond, Surrey, Tsawwassen, Vancouver, West Vancouver, White Rock, Electoral Area A Unincorporated Area

Sorry OTL you've lost me and I think you misunderstood the thrust of my argument...

For starters, 15 years ago Gregor Robinson wasn't the mayor of Vancouver - and I am therefore unclear why you are singling him out now? I wasn't. The 'mayor' in my commentary above could be Mickey Mouse. My point simply was that I think we could do do better here in Greater Victoria with less than 13 of them governing a population barely half of what a single mayor in Vancouver oversees - whoever that person is.

Second there is no "core" in the GVRD as that concept collectively relates to the Greater Victoria munis, nor was I referring to anything close to that as such in my comments.

I was referring instead to Kitsilano as that neighborhood was and is but one of many distinct neighborhoods within the City of Vancouver - not "metro" Vancouver.

And I guarantee you that no Vancouverite (as in, a resident of the City of Vancouver) would ever use the term "core" or self-identify the City as part of such with Burnaby (a completely separate municipality) or especially New Westminster or North Vancouver, which are altogether different cities.

#267 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

will they break down the census results to show where the growth is coming from?

what I mean is, births/death, provincial migration, international migration, etc

I would like to see the break down for Victoria

Edited by UDeMan, 08 February 2017 - 10:30 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#268 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

will they break down the census results to show where the growth is coming from?

what I mean is, births/death, provincial migration, international migration, etc

I would like to see the break down for Victoria

Ya, early May is coming and age and sex (what you are, not how often etc. you have it) is on the next results.

#269 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

Sorry OTL you've lost me and I think you misunderstood the thrust of my argument...

For starters, 15 years ago Gregor Robinson wasn't the mayor of Vancouver - and I am therefore unclear why you are singling him out now? I wasn't. The 'mayor' in my commentary above could be Mickey Mouse. My point simply was that I think we could do do better here in Greater Victoria with less than 13 of them governing a population barely half of what a single mayor in Vancouver oversees - whoever that person is.

Second there is no "core" in the GVRD as that concept collectively relates to the Greater Victoria munis, nor was I referring to anything close to that as such in my comments.

I was referring instead to Kitsilano as that neighborhood was and is but one of many distinct neighborhoods within the City of Vancouver - not "metro" Vancouver.

And I guarantee you that no Vancouverite (as in, a resident of the City of Vancouver) would ever use the term "core" or self-identify the City as part of such with Burnaby (a completely separate municipality) or especially New Westminster or North Vancouver, which are altogether different cities.

I did miss the 15 year ago reference.  I spent my first few years in N Van before moving to the Island but then lived there working for about 10 years.  I viewed the core as Vancouver, N Van, West Van and Burnaby.  Perhaps my perception of where I was living.  And that's more than 15 years ago.

Perhaps you see my point?  As you have indicated, no Vancouverite would ever use the term core because the other's are different municipalities or cities.

Might be the same thought here no?

#270 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

......And I mean seriously can anyone here tell me - with a straight face - exactly what it is that the Central Saanich PD actually does? :)

They host speed-traps at Island View on the Pat Bay, as well as one on East Saanich Road south of Stelly's X in the church parking lot... sometimes they set up a Ride program at Mount Newton X and Central Saanich. Otherwise, not sure....

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#271 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

Wouldn't it be funny if Vancouver, Victoria, and New West were ever #1, #2, and #3 in the city population density rankings? A lot of Victorians would probably be more eager to amalgamate if they knew that it would drop Victoria way down on this list.

Per Square KM:

Vancouver:  5,492
Westmount:  5,024
Cote-Saint-Luc: 4,662
Montreal: 4,662
North Vancouver: 4,465
New Westminster: 4,543
Victoria: 4,405
Toronto: 4,334

• jonny likes this

#272 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

Housing crunch: Victoria's population growth outpaces supply of new housing

http://victoria.citi...of-new-housing/

The Capital Region’s supply of new housing is lagging sharply behind population growth, according to newly released Statistics Canada census data.

Despite a population increase of 6.7% between 2011 and 2016, which saw the number of inhabitants throughout the Capital’s thirteen municipalities rise by over 23,000 people, the number of private dwellings rose by 3.19% to 172,559 from 2011’s housing stock of 167,229-units (a net increase of 5,330 homes). By comparison, between 2006 and 2011 Victoria’s housing stock grew by 7.7% while the population increased by 4.4%.

By the numbers, the largest supply of new homes was on the Westshore, which includes the municipalities of Colwood, Highlands, Metchosin, Langford, Sooke, and for the purposes of this article, the Township of View Royal. Total dwelling counts rose from 30,978 in 2011 to 34,465 in 2016, a jump of 11.3%, or 3,487-units. The Westshore’s population growth over that period, inclusive of View Royal, was 13% and brought the population base up to 82,543 people. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#273 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:12 PM

Not sure why I left North Vancouver out. BC could eventually claim the top 4 spots.

#274 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

I'm on CFAX in just a few seconds to chat about this issue.

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#275 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

I'm on CFAX in just a few seconds to chat about this issue.

Good Job!

#276 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:49 PM

Much better than usual...

:P

#277 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

Housing crunch: Victoria's population growth outpaces supply of new housing

http://victoria.citi...of-new-housing/

Despite a population increase of 6.7% between 2011 and 2016, which saw the number of inhabitants throughout the Capital’s thirteen municipalities rise by over 23,000 people, the number of private dwellings rose by 3.19% to 172,559 from 2011’s housing stock of 167,229-units (a net increase of 5,330 homes). By comparison, between 2006 and 2011 Victoria’s housing stock grew by 7.7% while the population increased by 4.4%.

Makes sense if you think about it. West Shore targets families. If you assume an average of two kids then you need one new dwelling for every four new residents.

#278 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:28 PM

Really enjoyed the article, thanks Mike

#279 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Ya, early May is coming and age and sex (what you are, not how often etc. you have it) is on the next results.

The how often you have it and preferences data will be released in July.  Info gathered on the long form census.  Just sayin..

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:16 AM

Oh you guys :)

Tune in again at 10AM for this Friday's round table with Adam Stirling, Ryan Price and myself. I'm sure the issue of population growth will be discussed.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users