Victoria population discussion | Census data | CRD projections

• Please log in to reply
1272 replies to this topic

#621 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 11:02 AM

Nearly 100,000 people have come to Canada to claim asylum since the start of last year, either through Roxham Road or by air.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-road-1.6743768

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2023 - 11:02 AM.

#622 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 08:04 AM

Since the weekend, the transfers have increased. Quebec's immigration minister said this week that of the 505 migrants who entered the country through an unofficial border crossing at Roxham Road on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, 475 were transferred to other provinces.

Federal government statistics show that 39,171 asylum seekers were intercepted by the RCMP on Quebec's southern border in 2022, up from 4,095 in 2021. They accounted for more than 99 per cent of all asylum seekers who crossed the Canadian border irregularly in 2022. In total, around 60 per cent of all people claiming asylum in Canada in 2022 arrived through Quebec.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...urces-1.6751872

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 February 2023 - 08:04 AM.

#623 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 01:34 PM

According to federal government statistics, more than 39,000 people claimed asylum in Quebec in 2022 after crossing into Canada outside official ports of entry. Only about 369 people claimed asylum after crossing at a non-official point of entry elsewhere in the country.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ainer-1.6756753

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 February 2023 - 01:34 PM.

#624 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 04:06 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.03.09-07_06_00.png

#625 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 11:30 AM

Two architects fail to investigate the situation here, before moving here.

After 9 years as an architect in the Middle East, it hurt that I could no longer call myself one in Canada

I grew up in the Indian state of Punjab. It felt like almost every street in my state had billboards promoting a better life and lots of job opportunities with higher salaries in Canada. I knew many families whose younger members were enrolled in courses for English-language proficiency tests making efforts to move to Canada. The pride in the eyes of those parents as they shared the news of their son or daughter settling in Canada left a strong impression on me. It made me think Canada had amazing opportunities and could one day also become my home.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...anada-1.6772923

Most interview callbacks I received were either for co-op or unpaid work. The few job offers for architectural technician positions which I received paid $15 per hour. I was at a loss. I had invested years of my life and a lot of money in the process of getting permanent residency in Canada. But instead of getting a job in the profession I had studied and worked so hard for, I was bleeding my savings day by day, just to keep up with living costs in Toronto.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 March 2023 - 11:32 AM.

#626 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 04:37 PM

I wonder who is paying for those billboards on almost every street.

#627 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 07:15 PM

^Immigration lawyers.

• Barrrister likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#628 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like the person should have hired an immigration lawyer.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:08 AM

That’s what it’s like. Immigration is essentially servitude, unless you’re wealthy to begin with. You do it, to give the second generation opportunities you didn’t have in your homeland.

This country functions on the unseen labour or doctors, bankers, architects and scientists cleaning hotels, hospitals, doing hard labour and filling roles that would go unfilled if it weren’t for their willingness to do whatever it takes to put food on the table. But even then, being here, can be infinitely better than having remained wherever they come from.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#630 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:04 AM

The architect from India missed the heads-up right there on the Canadian Architectural Certification Boards website:

https://cacb.ca/foreign-architects/

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#631 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:21 AM

Who moves to a country without doing their research on the job situation and qualifications. I find that rather hard to believe. 

Edited by Barrrister, 20 March 2023 - 10:26 AM.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#632 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:25 AM

Who moves o a country without doing their research on the job situation and qualifications. I find that rather hard to believe.

Who moves to another country without research?

#633 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:28 AM

That’s what it’s like. Immigration is essentially servitude, unless you’re wealthy to begin with. You do it, to give the second generation opportunities you didn’t have in your homeland.

You need to have a frame of reference. 

A few years back I was chatting with a gent who had just come here from the Philippines and was working for fast food restaurant chain. Looking in from the outside he was being taking advantage of, low wages, renting an overprices room in the owner's flop house and having little free time. Turns out though this was a big step up for him compared to the life he had been living at home and he was making enough money to send some back to his family which made him the favoured son.

• Nparker likes this

#634 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:28 AM

Who moves to another country without research?

Any bets some immigration 'consultant' told him it would be no problems?!

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#635 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:45 AM

Man, I am doing this all wrong!

#636 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 12:26 PM

You need to have a frame of reference.

A few years back I was chatting with a gent who had just come here from the Philippines and was working for fast food restaurant chain. Looking in from the outside he was being taking advantage of, low wages, renting an overprices room in the owner's flop house and having little free time. Turns out though this was a big step up for him compared to the life he had been living at home and he was making enough money to send some back to his family which made him the favoured son.

Moving from third world poverty to servitude in Canada is indeed a step up. But not all immigrants move here from third world poverty.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#637 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:44 PM

Canada's population grew by record 1 million in 2022, spurred by international migration

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ation-1.6787428

Total population closing in on 40 million as Canada remains fastest-growing G7 country: StatsCan

_____

In 2022, Canada welcomed 437,180 immigrants and the number of non-permanent residents increased by a net 607,782 people. Both figures are the highest levels on record and reflect "higher immigration targets and a record-breaking year for the processing of immigration applications," StatsCan said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2023 - 03:46 PM.

#638 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:56 PM

So it's safe to say then that Canada has solved both its health care and housing crises, since no sane immigration policy would encourage vast numbers of newcomers otherwise.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#639 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:07 PM

CBC says:

Canada depends on immigration to drive its economy and support an aging population, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government sharply ramped up immigration since taking power in 2015.

#640 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:11 PM

CBC says. That's all I need to know.

• Barrrister likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users