Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#3881 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

I walked into a McDonald's this morning in lieu of taking the drive-thru during a coffee run (drive-thru was packed).

I must have wasted about 10 minutes in there as there was confusion over several coffee orders containing two creams, three creams, and double doubles. The staff mixed the wrong ratios into the wrong sized cups and couldn't figure out how to untangle the mess. Customers were looking on perplexed and some folks were starting to get agitated, including the staff who didn't understand why nobody was picking up the large double double (which should have been a medium double double).

Good times.

Have McDonalds changed the way they operate? I visited two different McD's in the US and you don't get your food while you stand there and wait they give you a plastic number sign you put on the table and they bring the food to you when it is ready.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3882 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

^really?  I worked at the Empress Hotel about 25 years ago as a valet.  It paid minimum wage or so plus tips and you had to buy your uniform.  I guess it wasn't union in those days, but needless to say I didn't stay long

#3883 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Have McDonalds changed the way they operate? I visited two different McD's in the US and you don't get your food while you stand there and wait they give you a plastic number sign you put on the table and they bring the food to you when it is ready.

That’s an option now at some kiosk locations only certain times of the day.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3884 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

Hypothermia creates symptoms that are similar to intoxication, sleepiness, slurred speech and confusion. Those symptoms, DeRyan said, coupled with the fact that she tried to take her own life, resulted in medical staff treating her like she was mentally ill.

“I heard all the speculation and judgment,” she said.

The most shocking news came when doctors told DeRyan her previous terminal diagnosis was wrong. She was in perfect health.

DeRyan was discharged from hospital after a week and is now back at her Ladysmith art gallery, reflecting on the life she was ready to end. She has received messages from all over the world from friends telling her how she has touched their lives and how much she is loved.

http://www.timescolo...life-1.23112686

????

That part of the story maybe needs some expanding.

• Rob Randall, Matt R. and Bingo like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3885 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

????

As well as this part of the story.

What is the point of life rings if the only time the searchers check them is when the want to retrieve them for future use?

Given the amount of time that passed, coast guard crews called off the search. As a crew went to retrieve the life ring, they saw DeRyan floating inside.

#3886 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

^ Oh I missed that, crazy!

#3887 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

^really?  I worked at the Empress Hotel about 25 years ago as a valet.  It paid minimum wage or so plus tips and you had to buy your uniform.  I guess it wasn't union in those days, but needless to say I didn't stay long

Still non-union. Parking & valets are contracted out to Robbins.

#3888 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:39 PM

Wow. BC Ferries is apparently planning a $250-million rebuild of the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, plus has plans to build two new ships to service Langdale, presumably to replace the Queen of Surrey and the Queen of Coquitlam.

The terminal construction would begin within the next five years, with public consultations and approvals process beginning in the new year.

http://vancouversun....illion-overhaul

• Matt R. likes this

#3889 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:49 PM

I’m very much looking forward to the expansion and rebuilding of the Fulford terminal as well!

Matt.
  • Bingo likes this

#3890 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:38 AM

????

"She was diagnosed with a terminal illness and, skeptical of western medicine, DeRyan opted not to treat the disease. She wanted to die on her own terms."

I would be willing to bet that the first "doctor" isn't one who practices western medicine. I'd assume after her suicide attempt she was committed for observation and assessment by actual doctors who then gave her the correct diagnosis.
  • Mike K., Nparker and jonny like this

#3891 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

Wow. BC Ferries is apparently planning a $250-million rebuild of the Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal, plus has plans to build two new ships to service Langdale, presumably to replace the Queen of Surrey and the Queen of Coquitlam.

The terminal construction would begin within the next five years, with public consultations and approvals process beginning in the new year.

http://vancouversun....illion-overhaul

The plan is in its infancy, obviously, but it'll likely be two ships at about two hundred cars which will replace one C class vessel. The second C class would be replaced by a like vessel around 350 capacity.

There's two main reasons for this. The smaller vessels would be to allow a faster turnaround time for the Langdale route which means more sailings and better scheduling compliance which is a huge issue there. Then the larger C class replacement will be a common vessel, likely with at least one other (replacing the Cow / Coquitlam / New West) which would allow cross deployment on major routes.

If traffic levels stay even steady at where they are - or increase - I think you'll see BC Ferries ask the province for an an additional major vessel when they start looking at the next big ship purchase. That should start around 2019.
  • Mike K. and shoeflack like this

#3892 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:43 AM

How come the one guy that was a naked nut-job and jumped from BCF got banned for life, but the female naked nut-job that jumped from the ferry is a hero?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 December 2017 - 07:50 AM.

#3893 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:46 AM

I like how you speak the truth in the most offensive way possible.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Coreyburger and 1 other like this

#3894 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

You're right, I've added in "naked" to soften it a bit.  So the guy cost BCF $40,000, where is the BCF press release that says how much this latest jumper cost?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 December 2017 - 07:54 AM.

#3895 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:04 AM

I find the case of the recent woman jumper quite inspirational.

Compare the cost of saving her life during a real event, compared to what it recently cost to have a thousand people doing an evacuation of a BC ferries with FAKE injuries and transporting them to shore on Saltspring.

#3896 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

This is very subject to change; however, the new-to-us Northern Sea Wolf is arriving tentatively at Ogden this Friday at 11am.

#3897 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

Fired up an engine this morning and sounded rough after the long trip.

Attached Images

• 20171216_103602.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#3898 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:39 PM

What is the capacity of the above ship? It looks rather small.

#3899 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

Attached Images

• Route28-LPDetails.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#3900 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:47 PM

Thank you RPPB,

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users