[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6304 replies to this topic

#3901 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

It runs with a $2,500 subsidy per vehicle, yikes.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3902 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:52 PM

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

#3903 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:34 PM

...per trip?

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#3904 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

...per trip?

Matt.

Yup.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3905 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:21 PM

Hot damn!

Matt.

#3906 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

Maybe this isn't the right thread but what can we do with an old ferry? Anchor it in Saanich Inlet and fill it full of rental suites? Turn it into a hotel? Restuarant?

B.C. Ferries has pulled the Queen of Burnaby from its fleet and is auctioning the boat to the highest bidder.

The vessel is currently listed on govdeals.com with a starting bid of $5,000. There is a caveat, though, that the ship no longer be used for sailing and can only be purchased for parts or to sit static.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4463952?cmp=rss

queen-of-burnaby-b-c-ferries.jpg

#3907 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

The best use for that vessel is torpedo practice.
  • 57WestHills likes this

#3908 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

Yikes is right, but I'd like to better understand the revenue generated by supporting those areas.  You don't manage an economy by looking at cost in a silo.

• VicHockeyFan, vortoozo and nerka like this

#3909 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

I would cut the ship in half and take out about 75 feet of mid-section.

#3910 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:05 AM

For what reason?

#3911 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:07 AM

For what reason?

Wharfage at the marina would be cheaper.

#3912 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:30 AM

The best use for that vessel is torpedo practice.

Is asbestos toxic to fish?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3913 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:35 AM

Asbestos is natural...
  • Matt R. likes this

#3914 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

I guess BCF do not believe in net neutrality.

#3915 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

Man arrested after cocaine, heroin seized at Tsawwassen ferry terminal

The 23-year-old was in posession of 3kg of cocaine, heroin and other substances

Gomien, 23, was attempting to board a B.C. Ferry to Swartz Bay on Jan. 3 when members of the RCMP Pacific Shiprider Program found him to be in possession of three kilograms of cocaine, heroin and unknown substances that have yet to be determined.

But how did they catch him? Sniffer dogs?

#3916 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

Yikes is right, but I'd like to better understand the revenue generated by supporting those areas.  You don't manage an economy by looking at cost in a silo.

That run will likely never come close to breaking even. However when the Liberals killed it they killed a lot of tourism jobs along the 450 km stretch of road between Williams Lake and Bella Coola.

When I took the boat (the Queen of Chilliwack, not the laughable Nimpkish) in 2009 it was far from empty and seemed like half the passengers were speaking German. With a bit of promotion, supporting that run could be an overall economic success even if they lose money on every run.

Bottom line - not many tourists will drive a 450 km dead end, but lots are interested in circle tours with amazing scenery.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#3917 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

And of course that brings to mind the Liberals own mini ferry fiasco. Small scale compared to the fast cats but still:

15 Million to fix up the Queen of Chilliwack, Sold five years later to a former BC ferries employee for less than 2 million. Boo!

#3918 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

Man arrested after cocaine, heroin seized at Tsawwassen ferry terminal

The 23-year-old was in posession of 3kg of cocaine, heroin and other substances

But how did they catch him? Sniffer dogs?

Was apparently part of an on-going investigation, not a random arrest. http://www.richmond-...inal-1.23138836

#3919 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

Was apparently part of an on-going investigation, not a random arrest. http://www.richmond-...inal-1.23138836

Yeah, this kind of bust is likely the result of someone turning over on someone else, and the RCMP waiting for a chance to arrest.

• Nparker likes this

#3920 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

We took the Port Hardy - Bella Coola - Williams Lake route this past summer and sailed on the Nimpkish.  We had two or three campers, about eight cars and a couple of motorcycles all squashed on board.  It turned out to be a fantastic trip as we were lucky weather wise at the end of June.  The two seating areas were pretty cramped but at least if you drove on, you could hang out in your vehicle.  Mostly though, I hung out on deck.  The scenery is gorgeous.  We even had a mother humpback whale and its baby put on a show for us, and the ferry captain even stopped the boat so we could get a better view.  By the end of the 9 - 10 hour voyage, we were definitely ready to get off.  After dark it's not as interesting and I could see the amenities of the new ferry would be greatly appreciated by then.

One thing they really need to do to make this 'circle route' better imho (although the locals apparently disagree) is to pave and add railings to the dirt / gravel mountain pass through Tweedsmuir Provincial Park.  We were quite concerned (ie. scared to death) driving that bit in an older minivan.  Fortunately, we didn't run into any oncoming traffic as I believe the highway washout near Williams Lake prevented travellers from coming to Bella Coola at that time.

I think the new ferry will be a great addition to the fleet and this route.  I would love to do it again (although maybe with a 4x4 this time!)  I hope they build some fantastic outdoor seating areas on the NSW as really, that is the selling point for the trip.

• Mike K., Nparker and Bingo like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users