Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4461 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:09 AM

BCF will be going to a prepaid model with different fare levels starting in 2019 when they roll out their new website and e-commerce platform. You will still be able to pay when you show up at the terminal, but you will likely pay a higher fare and may have to wait a while. This was announced and approved by the Ferry Commissioner years ago.

#4462 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

They do have approval from the BC Ferries Commission to go 100% reservation as early as mid-2019.

So you are on your way to Tsawwassen on your way home from a road trip, and you made a reservation from Cache Creek yesterday and now you are stuck in a traffic delay near Hope, with no hope of making the terminal in time. 

#4463 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

So you are on your way to Tsawwassen on your way home from a road trip, and you made a reservation from Cache Creek yesterday and now you are stuck in a traffic delay near Hope, with no hope of making the terminal in time. 

And now you are up the creek without a paddle and also out of cash.

• rjag likes this

#4464 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:17 AM

Yup exactly my point. Its not an airline, its part of the highway system, there needs to be a way of reflecting that

#4465 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:23 AM

Yup exactly my point. Its not an airline, its part of the highway system, there needs to be a way of reflecting that

It stopped being part of the highway system when it went partly private and started being a profit center.

#4466 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:38 AM

You must have not read my post directly before yours because I was quite clear that customers will always be able to purchase travel at the terminal. No need to make up a fake controversy.

#4467 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:39 AM

It stopped being part of the highway system when it went partly private and started being a profit center.

Profit center? Lol

The entire model was designed to keep the bloody dippers' fat fingers away from making more horrible decisions.

#4468 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:42 PM

You must have not read my post directly before yours because I was quite clear that customers will always be able to purchase travel at the terminal. No need to make up a fake controversy.

But not necessarily sail for hours.

That said, fares will be lower if you're organized and can book ahead.

I think the public is in for a big surprise on this one.
  • Bingo likes this

#4469 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

I was not replying to your post if you go and look it was a reply to this post by 57WestHills.

You could arrive early at a terminal for the next sailing and find it FULL if it is a 100% reservation system.

They do have approval from the BC Ferries Commission to go 100% reservation as early as mid-2019. Personally I don't think it'll be that early, but I also haven't heard anything about it lately..

#4470 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:48 AM

I don't need to make a reservation to drive down the highway.  Same should be true of the ferries as extensions of said highways: first come first serve for ALL.  No reservations, no assured loading, same lineups for everyone except marked emergency vehicles and common-carrier (not charter) buses.

100% reservation, when seen from an Islander's point of view, might be fine for getting off the island but a bloody nightmare for getting back as you often don't know when you're going to get to the mainland-side terminal until you actually get there.

• rjag likes this

#4471 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

I was not replying to your post if you go and look it was a reply to this post by 57WestHills.
You could arrive early at a terminal for the next sailing and find it FULL if it is a 100% reservation system.

Jeez Bingo. It WILL NOT be a 100% reservation system.

Got it now?

#4472 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:42 AM

They do have approval from the BC Ferries Commission to go 100% reservation as early as mid-2019. Personally I don't think it'll be that early, but I also haven't heard anything about it lately...

Don't get in a flap jonny, I am going by what WestHills said,  and most of his posts here and elsewhere have a degree of credibility.

#4473 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,875 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:19 AM

I don't need to make a reservation to drive down the highway.  Same should be true of the ferries as extensions of said highways: 

except nobody ever said ferries were an extension of the bc highway system.  they suck so much money it's crazy.

#4474 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:25 PM

^ Nobody, that is, except just about everybody who's lived on the island (or islands) for any length of time....

#4475 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

1) BC Ferries was never made private in any form, they were changed into a Crown Corporation like BC Hydro and others

2) Highways in BC get funded through taxes levied on people using them - we collect more in fuel taxes in BC than is spent on the highways.   The extra money raised pays for transit and subsidizes BC Ferries.   Vehicles on BC Ferries do not use any fuel and therefore pay no taxes.   It is only equitable to have users of the ferries charged a fee given that people who never use the ferries are still expected to pay for them to some extent.

3) I have often heard people say the ferries are an extension of the highway system but, as far as I am aware, that has never been enacted in law or regulation

#4476 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:27 PM

...I have often heard people say the ferries are an extension of the highway system but, as far as I am aware, that has never been enacted in law or regulation

What about these?

#4477 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:34 PM

I think many of these inland routes have more to do with the Columbia River treaty than anything else, no?

Matt.

#4478 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:35 PM

What about these?

I feel inland ferries should not be free ,cable ferry or not .
Put in a ticket machine charge a minimum
  • Nparker likes this

#4479 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

1) BC Ferries was never made private in any form, they were changed into a Crown Corporation like BC Hydro and others...

From the BC Ferries website:

“About our Company

In April 2003, BC Ferries was transformed from a Crown corporation into an independent, commercial organization under the Company Act. BC Ferries is governed by an independent Board of Directors appointed by the B.C. Ferry Authority.

About our Governance

B.C. Ferry Authority is a no-share-capital corporation created under the Coastal Ferry Act (British Columbia). It is the owner of the single issued voting share of British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. ("BC Ferries"), a Company incorporated in British Columbia, which is subject to the Business Corporations Act (British Columbia).“
  • SgtNeonPanda and N E Body like this

#4480 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:09 PM

The inland ferries have been by policy free since the government has been running them (as far as I know).   I think there should be a charge for them, especially the Kootenay lake ferry, which is a 45-minute trip.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users