Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4681 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:27 PM

The third and fourth vessels will service the Campbell River-Quadra Island route and the last two will serve the Nanaimo Harbour-Gabriola Island route by 2022.

BC Ferries said replacing one larger ship with two smaller vessels will give customers more frequent service, increased passenger capacity per hour, reduced vehicle line-ups, improved safety and reduced congestion on local roads. The vessels will have the capacity to carry at least 47 vehicles and up to 300 to 450 passengers and crew depending on configuration.

somebody real important must live on gabriola island among those 4000 people for them to be so spoiled by ferry service.

https://www.saanichn...ssels-to-fleet/

Or preparation for a YVR-gabriola fast ferry?

#4682 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,995 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:35 AM

According to the most recent project update by BCF in September they are being delivered on their own keel I believe and not on a transport ship. The deliveries have also been delayed..

Sea trials have been completed for the first two vessels and B.C. Ferries has accepted provisional delivery, said Capt. Jamie Marshall, B.C. Ferries vice-president of business development and innovation.

Next week, they are expected to be loaded into another vessel for the 40- to 45-day voyage to Canada.

“We anticipate getting them in time for Christmas or shortly thereafter,” Marshall said.

https://www.timescol...ries-1.24000044

sounds like they will come by heavy lift (submersible or crane style)

Bangladesh-to-Denmark.jpg

a8614c89a00d4eb24f7fe324210c3193.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 November 2019 - 07:41 AM.

#4683 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:14 PM

Salish Raven is broken down off Swartz. Looks like they need get a crew in to move a larger ferry to make room so the Raven can be towed to berth by a tug.

We are dealing with issues with the Skeena being out for five months and the Cumberland taking its place. I think after today we will stop hearing people say “put the Raven on instead”...

https://www.cheknews...rtz-bay-620913/

Matt.

#4684 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:42 AM

Cool photo and video from BC Ferries:

b-c-ferries-hybrid-electric.jpg

• Nparker, grantpalin, Kilo95 and 3 others like this

#4685 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 26 November 2019 - 12:49 PM

Currently paused at Malta.

Next stop, Freeport Bahamas.

Sea trials have been completed for the first two vessels and B.C. Ferries has accepted provisional delivery, said Capt. Jamie Marshall, B.C. Ferries vice-president of business development and innovation.

Next week, they are expected to be loaded into another vessel for the 40- to 45-day voyage to Canada.

“We anticipate getting them in time for Christmas or shortly thereafter,” Marshall said.

https://www.timescol...ries-1.24000044

sounds like they will come by heavy lift (submersible or crane style)

#4686 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:20 PM

We tried the buffet yesterday (roast turkey!) and the alcohol option. 

You take your alcohol ticket to the bartender, standing guard behind a skookum rolling mini-bar. There's not much storage so four choices makes sense now. Beer is served in the can and wine is poured from a standard bottle.

The hapless fellow manning the bar looked to me like his normal field of expertise is busing tables and handing out life preservers in emergencies because his wine pouring technique reminded me of someone topping up transmission fluid. He free-poured the wine into a stemless wine glass which surprised me as I thought they would have a more standardized portion. On planes, trains (and IKEA) they give you a tiny bottle. In England I noticed every bartender used a large jigger to measure the wine before it went into the glass. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4687 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

so when you purchase the buffet upon entrance you y/n a serving of alcohol and pay the upcharge?

#4688 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

Yep, all paid at the same time and you take your ticket to the bartender a few feet away. I suppose you could pay separately if you bought the buffet first and decided on a drink after. 

So the glass of wine was $11 including liquor tax. At least it's a decent wine. 

#4689 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:27 PM

Or maybe you're not allowed to buy a drink after you sit down, to prevent people getting multiple drinks. One per customer.

I didn't take an accurate tally but I estimate about half a dozen people had a beer.

#4690 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,732 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

..So the glass of wine was $11 including liquor tax. At least it's a decent wine. 

At $11 for a glass it better be decent. For $12/glass I can get MISSION HILL, CHARDONNAY at the Q at the Empress.

#4691 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

Yeah, it's what you'd pay at a good bar or hotel.

Still, alcohol was served on BC Ferries and the world didn't catch fire despite decades of fear. All good.

• Nparker, Redd42 and thundergun like this

#4692 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 09:38 PM

The bartender was likely pouring the correct portion - 5 oz or 6? and using the glass as the measure, pouring to the shoulder of the glass or some other marker.

Matt.

#4693 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:28 PM

I use the term "bartender" in a very loose sense. I'm pretty sure this guy was on french fry duty last week.

#4694 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 10:34 PM

I actually felt sorry for the guy. After liquor service ended he had to clean up after a family of four and their table looked like the aftermath of the fall of Fallujah. What is it with some people?

• Redd42 and Victoria Watcher like this

#4695 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 06:42 AM

Mom and dad must have gotten loaded, leaving cleanup to the kids.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4696 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 22 December 2019 - 08:26 AM

Today the Sun Rise, transporting the 2 electric ferries, is at anchor on the Caribbean side of the Panama Canal.

Currently paused at Malta.

Next stop, Freeport Bahamas.

• Bernard likes this

#4697 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:25 AM

Early morning ferry routes were cancelled Friday due to heavy winds.

BC Ferries cancelled the 7 and 9 a.m. sailings between Tsawassen and Swartz Bay.

#4698 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 12:18 PM

Yup. Bad day for travel.

Here's the list. 2PM cancelled already for Tsawwassen departure to Swartz.

https://www.bcferrie...tes-status.html

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4699 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

11am and 1pm cancelled now.

#4700 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

Today’s cancellations:

Departing Tsawwassen - 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm
Departing Swartz Bay - 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users