• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4781 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:35 AM

https://laws-lois.ju...ection-423.html

423 (1) Every one is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than five years or is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction who, wrongfully and without lawful authority, for the purpose of compelling another person to abstain from doing anything that he or she has a lawful right to do, or to do anything that he or she has a lawful right to abstain from doing,

• (a) uses violence or threats of violence to that person or their intimate partner or children, or injures the person’s property;

• (b) intimidates or attempts to intimidate that person or a relative of that person by threats that, in Canada or elsewhere, violence or other injury will be done to or punishment inflicted on him or her or a relative of his or hers, or that the property of any of them will be damaged;

• © persistently follows that person;

• (d) hides any tools, clothes or other property owned or used by that person, or deprives him or her of them or hinders him or her in the use of them;

• (e) with one or more other persons, follows that person, in a disorderly manner, on a highway;

• (f) besets or watches the place where that person resides, works, carries on business or happens to be; or

• (g) blocks or obstructs a highway.

•  

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#4782 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

BC Ferries has confirmed traffic is once again flower to the terminal. There will be delays.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4783 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:33 AM

Looks like protest was organized by UVIC students. Motion in front of council this Thursday for same issue. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=49431

I can see how the students would believe that the mayor and council supported their actions.

Edited by spanky123, 20 January 2020 - 09:33 AM.

#4784 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:41 AM

Looks like protest was organized by UVIC students. Motion in front of council this Thursday for same issue..

Well it sure as **** isn't a legitimate CoV council issue, meaning hours of my taxpayer-funded time will be spent discussing it.  :whyme:

#4785 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

Potts has a pretty cool signature, I must say.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4786 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

Adam Olsen said the Green party fully support this protest.

#4787 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

Adam Olsen said the Green party fully support this protest.

Colour me shocked.

#4788 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

But the former leader, Andrew Weaver, was on CFAX this morning and came out against the protest because they do not have the right to stop people using the ferries when there is an important reason to travel to the mainland

#4789 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:20 PM

But the former leader, Andrew Weaver, was on CFAX this morning and came out against the protest because they do not have the right to stop people using the ferries when there is an important reason to travel to the mainland

**BOOM**

#4790 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:58 PM

There are people who missed flights, healthcare appointments, were delayed for important meetings. And the ripple effects are unknown.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#4791 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

Tiny little bump in business but most people just turned around and left. :(

Matt.

#4792 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:40 PM

I wonder if the protesters bone up on this page?

https://pencanada.ca...ght-to-protest/

#4793 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:59 PM

I didn't realize until I saw CHEK news tonight that this protest was at least in part sponsored by everyone's favourite eco-terrorists, Extinction Rebellion.

#4794 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

I wonder if the protesters bone up on this page?

https://pencanada.ca...ght-to-protest/

From the link:

Am I allowed to block a transportation route?

Yes, but not a highway because that is against the law (Criminal Code, Section 423 (1)). Some routes don’t seem like highways, but are. Research your route before you hit the streets.

Can I wear a mask if I am participating in a protest?
Yes, but only if no one at the protest breaks any laws.

Know it all.

#4795 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:39 AM

No arrests were made. According to one of the demonstration’s organizers, who requested anonymity to keep the focus of their message clear and  out of fear of workplace reprisal, protesters cooperated with the BC Ferries worker’s union to conclude the protest and clear the roadway without incident around 9:00 a.m.

BC Ferries resumed sailings for the day shortly afterwards, with some residual cancelations and delays.

“As long as British Columbia continues to criminalize indigenous governments on unceded land, there is no doubt that more people will come forward to contest these injustices,” said Kolin Sutherland-Wilson,  a UVic student and UVSS Director-at-Large who took part in the demonstration.

“I am there because my heart compels it, and in that regard, I am not alone.”

https://www.martlet....158e6-119762929

so i ask again were there any actual natives in this blockade?  because they are being blamed for it in water-cooler talk this morning.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2020 - 06:40 AM.

#4796 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:44 AM

No arrests were made. According to one of the demonstration’s organizers, who requested anonymity to keep the focus of their message clear and  out of fear of workplace reprisal, protesters cooperated with the BC Ferries worker’s union to conclude the protest and clear the roadway without incident around 9:00 a.m.

BC Ferries resumed sailings for the day shortly afterwards, with some residual cancelations and delays.

“As long as British Columbia continues to criminalize indigenous governments on unceded land, there is no doubt that more people will come forward to contest these injustices,” said Kolin Sutherland-Wilson,  a UVic student and UVSS Director-at-Large who took part in the demonstration.

“I am there because my heart compels it, and in that regard, I am not alone.”

https://www.martlet....158e6-119762929

so i ask again were there any actual natives in this blockade?  because they are being blamed for it in water-cooler talk this morning.

The guy you quoted, Kolin Sutherland-Wilson is First Nations, I believe. Or at least part FN. 

#4797 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 06:46 AM

No arrests were made...

Mistake #1.

#4798 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:05 AM

"........Aboriginal people aren’t cannon fodder to be sacrificed in your ideological war. If you only support the ones whose agenda matches your own, then Indigenous rights are not your priority (corporations and governments should abide by this, too)." - Jack Knox 

**BOOM**

https://www.timescol...head-1.24057115

• Nparker and rjag like this

#4799 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:52 AM

Yeah, that's the sentiment reasonable people hold.

The UN messed up bigly when they published their cease-and-desist letter to the province in December, condemning them for racism-fuelled energy projects that are harming first nations.

...then 20 First Nations rose up and said hold on, UN, what in the world are you going on about? We support these projects.

The UN's response? Oh. We, uh, we had no idea. Which in plain English translates to 'we weren't bothered enough to care what you think.'

• rjag and VIResident like this

Know it all.

#4800 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:19 AM

"........Aboriginal people aren’t cannon fodder to be sacrificed in your ideological war. If you only support the ones whose agenda matches your own, then Indigenous rights are not your priority (corporations and governments should abide by this, too)." - Jack Knox 

**BOOM**

https://www.timescol...head-1.24057115

that's it right?  indigenous elders are opposed to this pipeline.  but the bands have signed on.  but to most people it's just "natives are opposed" and that's what they think.

we can't have 700 nations in canada and then have them splintered in at least two and now try to appease 1400 factions with every large project.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2020 - 08:20 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users