[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#5141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 03:40 PM

The long-term plan is a mega terminal at Lulu Island, isn't it? That would then nix the need for Horseshoe, and Tsawwassen could then become a freight-only terminal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5142 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 August 2021 - 03:49 PM

that’s a good idea, at least looking at it. at some point of foot passenger traffic loads doesn’t looking at a passenger only ferry make sense
for BCF?

we have a massive ferry that brings passengers into Victoria from Seattle. With no subsidy. And no direct car ferry. Seems odd that Victoria - Vancouver calls for the opposite.

What about a monorail? I have no expertise but just by definition it seems like monorail wound be 50% less expensive than a rail system.

Oh boy. The Clipper can cost as much as USD$200 round trip. It operates without subsidy, but not for a commuter type market. V2V was panned for their fares, even though they were relatively on par with Clipper.

I assume your monorail comment is sarcasm. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5143 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2021 - 11:33 PM

You're kidding, right? The Canada Line cost something like $2 billion for its 19km run. The remaining distance is more than that, and includes a substantial river crossing. With next to zero density along the route south of Richmond to support regular service. The bus meets each ferry and takes, what, 25 minutes? Would a new line even provide any time savings?

The "substantial river crossing" can be incorporated into whatever ends up replacing the Massey tunnel.  And yes, any form of transport on its own dedicated route will save time over a bus, as buses have to argue with whatever other traffic is out there.

That said, your points are exactly why I said I ain't holding my breath. :)

#5144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 12:59 AM

Lady Rose Marine Services, a mainstay on the Alberni Inlet and west coast of the Island for 75 years — delivering freight, supplies and passengers to tourism hotspots and isolated lodges and communities — is folding at the end of the month.

The last sailing is scheduled for Aug. 31.

https://www.timescol...onth-1.24349742

that’s quite something. surely that will have some serious impacts for businesses.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2021 - 01:00 AM.

#5145 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 05:39 AM

Oh oh. That’s a big deal, indeed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5146 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:57 AM

The "substantial river crossing" can be incorporated into whatever ends up replacing the Massey tunnel.  And yes, any form of transport on its own dedicated route will save time over a bus, as buses have to argue with whatever other traffic is out there.

That said, your points are exactly why I said I ain't holding my breath. :)

Adding a hypothetical transit right of way to the Massey Tunnel replacement doesn't make it free.

If a new hypothetical extension stops another 8-10 times between Bridgeport and the ferry then it could easily take as long as the bus. It doesn't exactly travel at high speed through Richmond, and there's already another 3 stops (with one more on the way) between Bridgeport and the current end of the line.

The bus has limited stops, transit priority lanes to avoid most of the traffic, and travels at 100km/h for most of the run. Canada Line's top speed is 80 km/h.

#5147 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:01 AM

100km/h?

The speed limits are 80km/h between the ferries and highway 99, then 90km/h on 99. You're lucky to average 40km/h between the ferries and Bridgeport in real-world traffic and after waiting at lights.

Know it all.

#5148 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:30 AM

Lady Rose Marine Services, a mainstay on the Alberni Inlet and west coast of the Island for 75 years — delivering freight, supplies and passengers to tourism hotspots and isolated lodges and communities — is folding at the end of the month.

that’s quite something. surely that will have some serious impacts for businesses.

I'm pretty sure Lady Rose took over/elbowed out the CPR routes back in the 50s. So the market will correct itself eventually.

It's just a shame this company had to suffer. I'm not sure why this company couldn't survive with Covid handouts while a certain Brentwood Bay garden attraction is thriving even though I'm skeptical they deserve a handout.

Edited by Rob Randall, 10 August 2021 - 09:31 AM.

#5149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:34 AM

The original Lady Rose sunk, no? About a decade ago? 

Know it all.

#5150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:46 AM

The original Lady Rose sunk, no? About a decade ago? 

Lady Rose was acquired by the Clayton family of Sechelt in September 2019 and she was relocated to the MacKenzie Marina in Sechelt soon thereafter. [5] Restoration plans are still being formulated.

https://en.wikipedia...ki/MV_Lady_Rose

http://ladyrosepreservation.com/

Thank you for visiting this brand-new site, created to support preservation and celebration of the historic Lady Rose, formerly of British Columbia’s great Union Steamship Company.

We are maritime enthusiasts who are dedicated to the preservation and celebration of British Columbia’s illustrious coastal heritage. Our fascination with B.C.’s Union Steamship Company has led us to take action to immortalize the sole significant surviving ship of the Union Steamship Company fleet, the Lady Rose.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2021 - 09:48 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#5151 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:57 AM

100km/h?

The speed limits are 80km/h between the ferries and highway 99, then 90km/h on 99. You're lucky to average 40km/h between the ferries and Bridgeport in real-world traffic and after waiting at lights.

It's 90 km/h on 17A. That doesn't mean the bus doesn't travel 100 km/h ;)

Bus also has access to queue-jump lanes and dedicated transit lanes. It doesn't get bogged down in traffic and is often faster than personal vehicle.

Bus 620 is scheduled at 36 minutes, but often arrives early. It travels 28km on the route. If it runs to schedule, you're averaging 47km/h including stops. If it runs at the typical pace and completes it in 30 minutes, it's 56 km/h. The Canada Line average speed including stops is 35 km/h. You can expect that that would be a bit faster between Bridgeport & Tsawwassen due to the longer distance between stops, but don't forget it would still crawl through Richmond for, probably, 7 stops, and then wouldn't be able to max out as fast as the bus between Richmond and Tsawwassen without a total redesign of the system and vehicles. Even if you could design it in such a way that it might save 5 minutes, is that really worth $2 billion+? There are so many other higher transit priorities in the GVA, which would service more high-density areas and therefore have way higher potential for fare recovery.

Edited by vortoozo, 10 August 2021 - 09:58 AM.

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

#5152 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:59 AM

why are people moving about so much?  don't they have zoom?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2021 - 09:59 AM.

#5153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 11:35 AM

In a climate crisis.

Know it all.

#5154 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2021 - 03:10 PM

why are people moving about so much?  don't they have zoom?

Perhaps ironic to be posting this on a message board, but some of us still prefer face-to-face interaction.

• Nparker likes this

#5155 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:16 AM

A tentative deal has been brokered to buy Lady Rose Marine Services, considered a lifeline to remote communities and isolated lodges for its deliveries of essential goods and tourists to the Bamfield area. The service had planned to shut down Aug. 31, citing financial and staffing problems due to the pandemic.

Bob Beckett, director for the electoral area of Bamfield for the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District, said the eleventh hour deal is a great relief.

https://www.timescol...cued-1.24351457

People at the meeting included Mid Island-Pacific Rim MLA Josie Osborne, who is also minister of municipal affairs, Huu-ay-aht Chief Councillor Robert Dennis Sr., company owner Mike Surrell, the prospective buyer who has not been named, representatives from Island Health, Canada Post, the Transportation Ministry, Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre and the Bamfield community.

i sort of figured someone would come in and save this.  my bet is it's Ralmax/Point Hope.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 August 2021 - 03:18 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#5156 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 05:54 AM

Washington State ferry not coming back until April 2022 at best.
  • Mike K. likes this

#5157 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 08:20 AM

i sort of figured someone would come in and save this.  my bet is it's Ralmax/Point Hope.

It's Devon Transport, owner of most of the Budget Rent A Car locations in BC outside of Vancouver and Victoria.

• Mike K. likes this

#5158 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:03 AM

Any relation to Devon Properties?

Know it all.

#5159 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:30 AM

Any relation to Devon Properties?

I don't think so. Devon Transport is based in Nanaimo, Devon Properties in Victoria.

Here's the press release regarding today's purchase: Iconic Vancouver Island Ferry Service Saved by Vancouver (globenewswire.com)

Edited by vortoozo, 17 August 2021 - 10:31 AM.

#5160 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:34 AM

sounds like a happy ending. similar to my appointment after my Q-Anon meeting last week.
  • Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users