Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6304 replies to this topic

#5221 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 10:47 AM

That's only a 20-minute trip.  It doesn't really have two ferries does it?  That damn island of 4,000 has hourly ferries from ~5am to 11pm.  That's quite something.  Is it going to get every-30-minute service in the spring?

It is only a 20 minute trip once you are on the ferry.  Taking into account the one to two sailing waits on each side, it was taking me 5 hours to go to a 15 minute appt in Nanaimo even in the off season.  And the population on Gabe has increased hugely in the last 2 years along with the rapid growth in housing & renovations.  Quite often the ferry is full of work vehicles such as gravel & cement trucks, & surprisingly lots of logging trucks.  On our old, very short street, there are 5 new homes on previously bare lots that have sprung up in the past 18 months, some new, some moved over by Nickel Bros.

The way it is being spun by BCF is that the second ferry will be running during peak times, being anchored in Nanaimo.  Both ships will carry fewer cars than the Quinsam, but will run more frequently when required.

We loved our home there, however after 13 years we couldn't justify spending half our life in a ferry line up.

• Matt R. likes this

#5222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 10:49 AM

Ah, very good.  I'm only half joking about the indignation.  

That's all very interesting.  

I suppose in some ways, you wish there was more services on the island, but then its "only" a 20 minute trip to the big island when you need something, not withstanding the ferry fare.

What's the lowest "frequent user" ferry fare for car and driver, with your saver card or whatever program?  

I've often though somebody should be making a good dollar running a truck to Costco and Walmart daily and brining it to the Island like Gabriola and SSI, or the smaller islands.  Get the logistics right and I'm sure there is money to be made. 

Maybe there already is someone?  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 December 2021 - 11:05 AM.

#5223 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 11:01 AM

Does the Gabriola ferry qualify for the Experience card discount? For some routes it’s 30% off.

Edited by Matt R., 21 December 2021 - 11:02 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5224 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 11:06 AM

I've often though somebody should be making a good dollar running a truck to Costco and Walmart daily and brining it to the Island like Gabriola and SSI, or the smaller islands.  Get the logistics right and I'm sure there is money to be made. 

Maybe there already is someone?  

Matt R.?

• Matt R. likes this

#5225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 11:06 AM

Does the Gabriola ferry qualify for the Experience card discount? For some routes it’s 30% off.

I believe so.

#5226 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 11:37 AM

Matt R.?

Hmm yes in fact today, I was just thinking about how I need another job.

ETA: I’ll revisit this thought after 1:30 today lol

Edited by Matt R., 21 December 2021 - 01:22 PM.

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#5227 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 03:17 PM

Yes, the Gabe ferry has the experience card. 

And someone does run a business that picks up from Superstore & a couple of other places I believe.   The grocery store offers home delivery but they were using an covid denier for a delivery person so I had to pick up groceries myself even tho I am going through chemo.  They would not offer curbside pick up, said they didn't have enough staff.

When we moved there, we checked for all the services that we needed, Dr's, dentists, chiropractor, building supply, hardware store etc, etc.... also, we never even thought about the ferry wait times, the only time it was busy was on Thursday am & if you needed to be on a specific ferry you lined up about 1/2 hour before time. 

In the last 3 years the ferry has been late an hour or more, more than it's ever been on time to a point where they just cancel sailings.  And it seems that a lot of the newer residents feel that they need to go to "town" a couple of times a week minimum, in fact we knew people who went to Nanaimo every single day because they had nothing to do at home.  (not for work)

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 06:08 PM

Yup, probably a bit of cabin fever going on. I imagine lots of people showed up from various parts of Canada, with the thought of living on an island off an island as magical and whimsical. Then reality sets in.

• Matt R. and Redd42 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5229 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 10:18 PM

I got acquainted with a family who bought a 1.5m house here, sight unseen, moving from Silicon Valley. Sure, their realtor probably sent them the video tour, the sunrise, the view etc but didn’t mention things like no cell service, spotty power, no generator, no paved road, heavy snow in the winter (multiple times every winter), no snow plows up where they bought, long drive down the hill to go to town or get to the school bus, no grocery delivery, septic system, splitting cord after cord or firewood, etc etc.

Country living is romantic and fun if you are cuddled by the fire, but after a few years the novelty wears off for many, I am sure.
  • Mike K., Nparker and lanforod like this

#5230 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 29 December 2021 - 11:37 PM

The last two sailings tonight for the Skeena Queen were cancelled due to staffing issues, which probably means a positive Covid test on board mid shift, or someone positive pre shift and they couldn’t get a cover.

Crew change is at 1:30, so it was either extremely last minute or they had four hours to find a temp and couldn’t and didn’t bother to say anything. Walk ons, some of them minors, were stranded on both sides. Our exchange student was almost one of them but ended up getting an earlier ferry home for whatever reason.

Ferries has been short staffed for years, and I’ve been told lately that things will just get worse wrt trip cancellations due to the vaccine mandate that requires them to be fully vaxxed next month.

Edited to add: they cut it short because they were short for the evening shift so someone from the morning watch stayed their max 14 hours then had to go, ending the sailings.

Edited by Matt R., 29 December 2021 - 11:41 PM.

#5231 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:39 AM

Wow. Thanks for the update, Matt. I guess the kids stayed at the terminal or accommodations were provided for them?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5232 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:53 AM

or accommodations were provided for them?

?  

Ha!  By who?  BCF is not putting up anyone in hotels.  Call the person that dropped you off and tell them to come back and get ya.

#5233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 05:55 AM

By mom and dad, I guess. Kids can’t book hotels.

Know it all.

#5234 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:04 AM

By mom and dad, I guess. Kids can’t book hotels.

Like I say whoever dropped them off gotta come back and collect.  

#5235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:05 AM

What’s BC Transit going to do with them?

Know it all.

#5236 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 06:10 AM

What’s BC Transit going to do with them?

It's not like they have been stranded in Germany.  They have friends and family on both sides of this 30-minute sailing.  I'm sure BCF did not lock them out of the terminal if they needed to sleep inside, like at an airport.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 December 2021 - 06:10 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5237 GabriolaGirl

GabriolaGirl
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:23 AM

I'm sure BCF did not lock them out of the terminal if they needed to sleep inside, like at an airport.

BC Ferries locked the Gabriola terminal when they cancelled all the sailings at 6:40 last week.  They would cover hotel expenses but you had to be able to get a hotel.  Coast Bastion was fully booked for Christmas.

1/2 hour notice was given that all evening sailings would be cancelled

Edited by GabriolaGirl, 30 December 2021 - 10:24 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5238 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:32 AM

Wowza.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 December 2021 - 10:32 AM.

#5239 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 10:46 AM

?  

Ha!  By who?  BCF is not putting up anyone in hotels.  Call the person that dropped you off and tell them to come back and get ya.

Lots of kids go over on the bus for the day. Not everyone has options like that on the other side.

#5240 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 30 December 2021 - 11:12 AM

MV Quinitsa was delayed this morning due to the controls for the rescue boat being frozen and unusable.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users