• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#5421 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:02 AM

:confused:

Service Notices | BC Ferries

The Spirit of Vancouver Island is removed from service from June 6-8, 2022 to undergo engine maintenance required to resume the use of LNG fuel. The Coastal Celebration is providing service in its place, resulting in revised service on the Tsawwassen – Swartz Bay route during this time.

#5422 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,968 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 03:25 AM

Lack of crew leads to weekend sailing cancellations on B.C. Ferries

Ongoing staffing issues will mean ferry cancellations again this weekend. Travellers can expect the 4 p.m. and 8 p.m. sailings from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay to be cancelled on Sunday, as will the 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen. B.C.

Along with that, he said, about 150 ferry workers are still off work due to vaccine-related issues.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 June 2022 - 03:27 AM.

#5423 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 05:00 AM

Note to BC Ferries: you reap what you sow.

#5424 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 June 2022 - 06:35 AM

So it’s not housing, it’s an anti-vaccine workforce? But the mayor of Victoria said housing was the problem.
  • Teardrop likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5425 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 05:04 AM

Jack Knox: Ferry delayed to give grads their special night

The ferries might seem romantic or exotic to starry-eyed tourists gawking at the postcard-pretty scenery sliding by, but to a lot of kids they’re just the school bus.

#5426 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 09:55 PM

I rode the ferry today, there were at least three groups of people getting an indoctrination run today, say 15 in total.

The problem, as I understand it, is that they won't give you a schedule and just call you at 4am telling you to be there at 5am, wouldn't work for  me.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5427 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 12:59 PM

^Depends on your perspective, I guess..

I worked there back in the 90s as a student over the summer - I'd *call them* at 0 dark 30, hoping to go to work!

eta: mind, back in the day the ~$18/hr that they were paying was worth getting up for.  I'm not sure what the casual wage is nowadays, but I'm certain that its purchasing power hasn't kept up with inflation.  

Edited by North Shore, 13 June 2022 - 01:02 PM.

• Matt R. likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5428 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 08:35 PM

I'm not getting up at 0 dark thirty for anyone.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5429 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 09:51 PM

I rode the ferry today, there were at least three groups of people getting an indoctrination run today, say 15 in total.

The problem, as I understand it, is that they won't give you a schedule and just call you at 4am telling you to be there at 5am, wouldn't work for  me.

I’ve heard from ferry workers that if you are casual, you just leave you uniform in your car, so you’re good to go no matter when they call.

When I was in a union as a casual, I’d get calls at 4 or 5 in the am (after working until midnight) to start in an hour. Say no too many times and you move to the bottom of the list.

#5430 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 13 June 2022 - 09:52 PM

^Depends on your perspective, I guess..
I worked there back in the 90s as a student over the summer - I'd *call them* at 0 dark 30, hoping to go to work!

eta: mind, back in the day the ~$18/hr that they were paying was worth getting up for.  I'm not sure what the casual wage is nowadays, but I'm certain that its purchasing power hasn't kept up with inflation.

Starts around $22. My dishwashers earn more per hour.

#5431 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 06:23 AM

Great upwards mobility potential, though. And the job is an adventure, in one of the most unique work environments in the world. I’d be in to something like that, for sure.

I hear BC Transit is really struggling with retention as well. Trained new hires just leave as another opportunity comes along with better pay and less responsibility.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5432 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 10:02 AM

^The training is a lot fun at the very least(depending on the job). good if you live in Sidney or the Gulf Islands. the boat is always vibrating, though

#5433 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 11:47 AM

Great upwards mobility potential, though. And the job is an adventure, in one of the most unique work environments in the world. I’d be in to something like that, for sure.

I hear BC Transit is really struggling with retention as well. Trained new hires just leave as another opportunity comes along with better pay and less responsibility.

Golden handcuffs more like it. I’d be happy to train that dishwasher to cook and in two years they’d be up to $26 and then the year after $30. I think after a few years the “adventure” part wears off and you face the mundane daily roles of parking cars or handing people burgers or swiping credit cards.
  • North Shore likes this

#5434 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 11:49 AM

The liberals tearing up my cap health contract way back when was probably one of the best things that happened in my “career”. Didn’t feel like it at the time, of course.

#5435 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 11:51 AM

Ah, but you get upwards mobility when you want it. It requires training, but you get to pursue that training and start moving up the ladder. It’s not unheard of to see people from the passenger deck taking officers training, and working up in the bridge. Now -that- would be pretty sweet.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#5436 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 12:10 PM

Sure, probably 1:100 just like other industries. There are many deckhands but only one captain, if you know what I mean.
  • Mike K. likes this

#5437 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 June 2022 - 03:28 PM

Is Karl Lilgert out yet?

#5438 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 02:16 PM

Due to damage at the Crofton dock, vehicles are limited by weight and size until further notice on the Crofton -> Vesuvius run.

Earlier in the day it was limited to 5500kg, or about two Teslas.. must have been some significant damage. It’s now 13,500kg and max of three axles.

Freight will be routed via Swartz to Fulford and vice versa, oh boy.

https://www.gulfisla...hHMWb2I31iPWt7w

ETA: 

Issued at: 3:15 pm

On Thursday, June 16 and Friday, June 17, commercial vehicle service between Crofton and Vesuvius Bay will be limited due to ramp damage found during a planned inspection at Crofton terminal.

Temporary Weight Limitations:

Single axles no heavier than 9,100 kg each
Tandem axles no heavier than 7,500 kg each

In order to repair the ramp, overnight maintenance work is required in order to minimize impacts to vessel operations and to ensure the safety of our customers and employees. These repairs will take place during the evening of Thursday, June 16, and the evening of Friday, June 17. While we will do our best to minimize noise, some noise from operating equipment may be heard during this time.

As of June 18, 2022, all commercial vehicles may resume travel on this route with the 6:00 am sailing departing Vesuvius Bay.

Edited by Matt R., 16 June 2022 - 02:48 PM.

#5439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,968 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 12:26 PM

B.C. Ferries cancels sailings to Vancouver due to crew shortages

B.C. Ferries has cancelled a number of sailings Friday and Sunday because of staff shortages. Today’s 4 p.m. sailing departing Tsawwassen and the 6 p.m. sailing departing Swartz Bay have been scratched.

#5440 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 12:51 PM

This is happening far too frequently. BC Ferries needs to do what is necessary to increase staffing sooner rather than later.
  • Barrrister likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users