[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#5441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 12:55 PM

What’s the solution if we don’t have enough workers willing to work?

Would people be ok with paying $150 for a vehicle, and $40 per passenger, for better service? So $310 one-way for a family of four?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5442 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,732 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 12:58 PM

How many BC Ferries workers were/are affected by the vaccination mandate?

#5443 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 17 June 2022 - 01:43 PM

Not sure but I believe 1-2% of their workforce, so 50-100 people. I know there are some officers and a captain on salt spring who are unvaxed and on leave.
However I heard from an unvaxed bcf friend today that they called him on Wednesday and asked him to come back to work June 20th.
Hopefully this will help somewhat with staffing issues.

Edited by max.bravo, 17 June 2022 - 01:44 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5444 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,995 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 05:54 PM

A B.C. Ferries vessel sailing from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen was forced to turn around due to a medical emergency on Sunday afternoon.

Around 1:50 p.m. B.C. Ferries tweeted that the Spirit of British Columbia had returned to the Swartz Bay terminal because a customer was having a medical emergency and required immediate attention.

https://www.timescol...ergency-5496055

Who would do that?

/s

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2022 - 05:54 PM.

#5445 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:07 PM

Last week on the 16th, there was damage done to the ramp in Crofton, and weight restrictions were put in place immediately, all heavy traffic had to either use Swartz to Fulford, or to Long Harbour. The Crofton to Vesuvius route is often full of large trucks and lots of freight, including regular dangerous goods runs, where passengers aren’t not allowed on.

It was supposed to be back to normal Sunday, but that didn’t happen and by this morning there wasn’t a drop of gasoline to Purchase on Salt Spring.

I picked up a kid from one of their grad functions this weekend, and ripped into Coop to fill up, but nope, dry. Diesel and purple gas, nothing else. Grad weekend, generally busy around town, lots of tourists, so this didn’t seem like a huge deal near closing on a Saturday.

BC Ferries ended up running a special DC sailing from Swartz to Long Harbour this afternoon on the Salish Eagle and the stations were filled. The local emergency people posted that this is a good reason to not get below half a tank.
  • Redd42 likes this

#5446 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:18 PM

The local emergency people posted that this is a good reason to not get below half a tank.

Good advice for everyone at all times.

#5447 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:25 PM

I was at half and happy to see no lineup at the gas station until I got to the pump and saw the handwritten note taped up.
  • todd likes this

#5448 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 05:26 AM

And try to have a 10 or 20 litre Jerry can at home with fuel stabilizer. Switch it out every few months.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5449 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 11:31 AM

Ramp is fixed finally. Sheesh.

Good idea about the Jerry can, at least we have one ev at home!

#5450 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:28 AM

How many BC Ferries workers were/are affected by the vaccination mandate?

Short-staffed B.C. Ferries calls back unvaccinated staff after vaccine mandate ends

Multiple sailing cancellations on Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay route for Queen of New Westminster until June 30 because of crew shortage

B.C. Ferries, which is struggling with staff shortages and cancelled sailings, is calling back employees who have been on leave without pay for failing to be vaccinated, after eliminating its vaccine mandate on Monday.

The federal government announced last week that vaccination requirements for domestic and outbound travel, federal government employees and federally regulated transportation sectors would end as of June 20.

B.C. Ferries is hoping to draw from about 150 employees who have been on leave without pay because of the vaccine mandate, in order to offset staff shortages that have resulted in several sailing cancellations, including a string of sailings on the Tsawwassen-to-Swartz Bay route.

“We are in the process of reaching out to them to check on their intention to return to B.C. Ferries,” the corporation said in a statement. B.C. Ferries said there aren’t precise numbers for the workers affected because it’s still in the process of contacting each individual.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 03:29 AM.

#5451 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,732 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:59 AM

Meanwhile BC Government employees must still provide proof of vaccination to be be employed. How come the science is different for federal and BC Ferries workers?
  • Victoria Watcher and max.bravo like this

#5452 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:02 AM

I'd wager most of those 150 employees have long since moved on and are now unavailable. Perhaps with a big kickback, bigger than the 10k, plus full reinstatement of their seniority etc...

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#5453 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:14 AM

What’s the solution if we don’t have enough workers willing to work?

There should be some type of an individual floating car pod you drive your car onto, and the drive wheels then run a propulsion system connected to propeller.

Here is my crude version from 2007:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 07:16 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#5454 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:27 AM

I usually just take Harbour Air. about 30 minutes and your there, stress free
  • Matt R. likes this

#5455 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:33 AM

I hate having to travel back down from Vancouver to collect my car at Tsawwassen, though.

Know it all.

#5456 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:35 AM

I usually just take Harbour Air. about 30 minutes and your there, stress free

Not very cost effective though, especially with more than 1 person.

• Nparker and todd like this

#5457 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,995 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:37 AM

Not very cost effective though, especially with more than 1 person.

If your child is small (and quiet) enough to fit in checked baggage it's still not bad.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 07:37 AM.

• Mike K., Nparker, North Shore and 1 other like this

#5458 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:37 AM

I hate having to travel back down from Vancouver to collect my car at Tsawwassen, though.

I can set you up with my E bike rental place, $30 for the day nice bike.

Think you can also check your bike for a small fee

Edited by todd, 22 June 2022 - 07:44 AM.

#5459 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 07:58 AM

I’ll stick with the Cadillac, thanks.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#5460 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,732 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:09 AM

Cadillac makes an e-bike?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users