[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#5821 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 01:04 PM

Bit of excitement last night in Fulford. The stern line on the extra ferry here (I think it's the Powel River Queen at the moment) snapped and the ship started drifting into the little private marina here.  If the other lines hadn't held it looked like it was game over.

The Skeena was getting ready to load at the time and stopped to secure the other vessel.

• Mike K. and JohnsonStBridge like this

#5822 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:28 PM

So we had a reservation on the 2:00 sailing to Victoria, get to the terminal and they tell us the sailing is cancelled due to winds. Kind lady advises us to take the Horseshoe bay ferry to Nanaimo, they have lots of room. Take an hour and a half to drive to Horseshoe Bay, arrive, sorry no room for the rest of the day. Drive back to Tsawwassen terminal in rush hour traffic, sorry full all night now. Try to find hotel in T-town, nada, drive back to Richmond in rush hour traffic and another fun filled night in hotel. Good times. Build a bridge, the riffraff is already on the island.

• Barrister likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5823 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,522 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:29 PM

You must be new here. 🥸
  • lanforod and Barrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5824 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:31 PM

I wish, it's sorta like groundhog day.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5825 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 01:22 AM

So we had a reservation on the 2:00 sailing to Victoria, get to the terminal and they tell us the sailing is cancelled due to winds. Kind lady advises us to take the Horseshoe bay ferry to Nanaimo, they have lots of room. Take an hour and a half to drive to Horseshoe Bay, arrive, sorry no room for the rest of the day. Drive back to Tsawwassen terminal in rush hour traffic, sorry full all night now. Try to find hotel in T-town, nada, drive back to Richmond in rush hour traffic and another fun filled night in hotel. Good times. Build a bridge, the riffraff is already on the island.

To be fair, the information given to you at the time was correct.

Today's weather had the Tsawwassen ferries cancel well before the Horseshoe Bay ferries were delayed. It wasn't until about 3:15pm that those were affected. Ticket agent was likely just trying to help you get home.

#5826 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 07:59 AM

I’ve never been too sympathetic to peoples ferry concerns. It’s a choice to live on an island.

I prefer to fly in and off the island.

Get a boat or got off the island.

#5827 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:08 AM

Octopus is too lazy to swim, I guess.

• Nparker and todd like this

#5828 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:15 AM

Octopus is too lazy to swim, I guess.

I like the view of all the islands.

#5829 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 21 April 2023 - 09:19 AM

Build a bridge, the riffraff is already on the island.

Are you not aware that bridges get closed in the level of wind experienced yesterday?

• lanforod likes this

#5830 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 09:33 AM

If they’re gonna do a solid connection it should be a tunnel. Otherwise it would just be lame

I don’t really want to make it easy for people to get across. Who knows what’s going to come over, maybe even wildlife, the ship rats are bad enough.

#5831 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:11 AM

A submarine ferry would solve both problems.

#5832 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 10:21 AM

I’d prefer a roller coaster link, excellent tourism gimmick, could go beside the rail line.

#5833 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 11:23 AM

Zip line
  • Matt R. likes this

#5834 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 12:26 PM

Zip line

Gondola would require just a series of posts

#5835 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:45 AM

Island-hop bridge from just south of Nanaimo down to Mayne Island then have the ferries shuttle across Georgia Strait every hour, 24/7.

#5836 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,969 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 04:01 AM

B.C. Ferries is asking for extra money to pay for the escalating cost of redeveloping its fleet maintenance unit in Richmond.

The company says it can’t reveal the amount because the work is subject to a competitive bidding process.

https://www.timescol...upgrade-6962027

I read the article twice, but never really learned who they were asking, for the extra money.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 May 2023 - 04:16 AM.

#5837 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 08:46 AM

Presumably the same branch of MOTI who just offered them $500M to buy down fare increases. BCF didn’t even have to ask for that half billion - it was just offered by a generous NDP gov.

So… If the tap is on, I guess you try to fill the bucket?

#5838 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,969 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 02:49 AM

BC Ferries was more than an hour behind schedule Monday after a passenger drove their vehicle onto a vessel but ditched it for public transit once arriving at their destination.

The Queen of Surrey crew, which had sailed from Horseshoe Bay (Vancouver) to the Sunshine Coast, noticed a vehicle without a driver when docking at the Langdale terminal, a BC Ferries spokesperson says.

“As part of standard safety procedures, the crew searched the vessel and notified police and Coast Guard,” said spokesperson Deborah Marshall.

“We’ve since learned from police that the driver had walked off the vessel and took public transit.”

https://www.cheknews...-delay-1151720/

I think (hope) we can presume this person somehow forgot they brought the car. ie. their usual routine was public transit but somehow, almost incredibly, they forgot that this time they had a car.

The only thing that would make this article more funny is if BCF would have issued some kind of statement like “we want to remind the travelling public that they are required to collect their car at the end of every sailing”.

Sechelt has an express ferry bus route (4 stops). Victoria doesn’t even have one (except for UVic students).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 May 2023 - 02:59 AM.

#5839 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,969 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:01 PM

On Saturday, the ferry operator cancelled a dozen sailings between Bowen Island and Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver between 3:30 p.m. and midnight after saying it was unable to secure enough crew to staff the route.

The company apologized and hired water taxis to transport people who needed to leave urgently, but it was unable to transport vehicles — leading many to stay on the island until a ride could be found.

But there were few vacancies in the small island community, leading many to sleep in their cars, while some homes and businesses opened their doors to stranded strangers to help out.

"It was just a nightmare," said Glen Lahey, a Bowen Island resident who said he saw about 150 people at the docks trying to figure out their next move. They included tourists, daytrippers and locals, he said, many of whom were stuck on the other side and unable to get home.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tions-1.6851222

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 May 2023 - 10:02 PM.

#5840 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,969 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:04 PM

That’s ridiculous. Imagine going over to the Island for the day only to find you are trapped overnight. Because a few staff called in sick.
  • Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users