Photo

[Saanich] Tuscany Village mixed-use | Built - completed in 2007

• Please log in to reply
218 replies to this topic

#121 phx

phx
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

That aught to get the over 70 set excited.

I believe JJ Morgan has a lock on that age group.

#122 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

That aught to get the over 70 set excited.

Will have to be the over 70 walker crowd as you certainly can't drive and park anywhere close to the restaurant.

#123 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Will have to be the over 70 walker crowd...

That should still guarantee a full-house 7 days a week in this city, if they can be tempted away from JJ Morgan's that is.

#124 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:24 PM

Will have to be the over 70 walker crowd as you certainly can't drive and park anywhere close to the restaurant.

Are you kidding? There is a massive U/G parkade there. I have used many times and not once have I had to stray farther than 3 metres from the Thrifty's movelator which I am sure is walker friendly. In fact there is rarely more than 5 cars down there at a time.

#125 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

I saw the banner that said "bar and grill opening soon" and I went "alright!", then I saw the fine print that said "Applebee's" and I realized I'd been punk'd.

I mistakenly thought an Applebees AND a bar and grill were slated for opening at TV.

Anyway, the TC covers it here.

"Our draft beer is poured from Panther Towers which are covered in a quarter-inch of ice into glasses kept frozen until beer meets glass," he said."If our beer were any colder, you'd be licking it off a stick."

All the real beer aficionados are groaning right now. We all know the best way to fix the weak taste and fake bubbles in mass-marketed beer is to serve it literally ice-cold.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

I saw the banner that said "bar and grill opening soon" and I went "alright!", then I saw the fine print that said "Applebee's" and I realized I'd been punk'd.

I mistakenly thought an Applebees AND a bar and grill were slated for opening at TV.

Anyway, the TC covers it here.

All the real beer aficionados are groaning right now. We all know the best way to fix the weak taste and fake bubbles in mass-marketed beer is to serve it literally ice-cold.

Ya, I found that funny too. Most keg rooms are kept at about 44, and the beer goes through cold plates submerged in ice within 24" of the tap. The ice tower looks cool, but it's just a novelty...

#127 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

"we're the McDonald's of casual dining"

jeez, I dont think thats something I'd be boasting about.

Seating for 234, seems awfully high for the size of location, doesnt leave much room for kitchen space

#128 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

It is well situated to draw traffic from the University, the right sort of place for a cheap date. Think of it as a cooler version of White Spot.

Given the general mediocre quality of Victoria's mid range restaurants, I suspect Applebee's will do well. A recent trip to Seattle once again reminded how badly we are served in this city by our restaurants.

#129 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

Hands up all you women that would be impressed when a guy takes you on that first date to the Tuscany Village Applebee's.

I disagree that there are few good mid-range restaurants. You have to know where to look. Applebee's higher price point puts them in competition with some good independent dining spots.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#130 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

Location is fine but Applebees is the 4th chain that I know that looked at this location. The other three all passed.

The footprint is small. I don't see how you can fit anywhere near 234, and there is not enough parking up top. I know that there is underground parking, but women don't like to park underground and it is off to the side.

In that area you have Boston Pizza (which is never full), Maude Hunter's (where the students go to avoid kids), and a half dozen other restaurants over by Cedar Hill.

I think that Applebees will likely do ok but not great in that location.

#131 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

Hands up all you women that would be impressed when a guy takes you on that first date to the Tuscany Village Applebee's.

17-year-old guys that just got their license think it's cool to take 16-year-old chicks to Red Robin - but then again, with graduated licenses these days, you probably have to be 23 before you can have a unrelated chick alone in your car these days. :cool: It must be, because every time I pull up to the bus stop in my Camaro and invite a 16-year-old for a ride, she looks at me like I'm breaking the law. :D

#132 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

17-year-old guys that just got their license think it's cool to take 16-year-old chicks to Red Robin - but then again, with graduated licenses these days, you probably have to be 23 before you can have a unrelated chick alone in your car these days. :cool: It must be, because every time I pull up to the bus stop in my Camaro and invite a 16-year-old for a ride, she looks at me like I'm breaking the law. :D

lol.

Red Robin and Tino's are probably the worst restaurants that i have been to in Victoria (excluded fast food).

#133 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

"No play for Mr. Grey".

#134 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:43 PM

Most university students are still young, are still not very discriminating as to taste, and tend not to know much about restaurants (yes there ones that are not like this, but many of them are). Applebees is safe and not Boston Pizza or White Spot. I think the fit is good and the distance from the campus is reasonable.

Also, many of them watch their favorite TV shows streaming over their laptops from American sites and therefore get ALOT of Applebee ads that tell them how reasonably priced they are. I am personally sick of John Corbett's voice in the ads, but they do make a compelling case for it being a reasonable priced place for a date.

#135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

Even stanger still, 'cause I'm willing to honour her transfer up to three hours after issue, double the BC Transit time limit. Kids these days, they can't see a deal these days when it rolls right up in a Camaro.

#136 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,001 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

Most university students are still young, are still not very discriminating as to taste, and tend not to know much about restaurants (yes there ones that are not like this, but many of them are). Applebees is safe and not Boston Pizza or White Spot. I think the fit is good and the distance from the campus is reasonable.

Also, many of them watch their favorite TV shows streaming over their laptops from American sites and therefore get ALOT of Applebee ads that tell them how reasonably priced they are. I am personally sick of John Corbett's voice in the ads, but they do make a compelling case for it being a reasonable priced place for a date.

How much money does the average UVIC student have to spend eating out?

#137 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

Have you ever been to UVic? Not only is it unlikely that they would go to an american corporate restaurant, they are even less unlikely to go to a restaurant with the word Grill in the name unless preceded by the word veggie or vegan.

This place is here for the large population of post-caring boomers and seniors too snooty to eat at Brannigans or JJ Morgan.

#138 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

Most Uvic students will not be able to afford eating out - anywhere (let alone buying groceries at Thrifty prices). The restaurant is however well placed for faculty and staff, and visiting campus groups.

Students - from my day back in the '80's at Uvic, to today, will either head downtown to a nightclub, or stay on campus for parties. Applebees is not targeted at them directly, and I agree with G-man as to placement and who they will be marketing to locally.

#139 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:03 AM

A recent trip to Seattle once again reminded how badly we are served in this city by our restaurants.

Huh? For a city a tenth the size of Seattle I think Victoria has great restaurants. What are you comparing here? To my mind, the only thing Victoria is missing is a good cheap-lunch district like the U district, where you can get big plates of mediocre food for $6. What are you comparing here?

#140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,454 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

Ads, particularly for restaurants that nickle and dime wherever they can, are geo-targeted on virtually all online properties. Applebee's doesn't have any Victoria locations, and therefore will not spend money advertising to IP addresses originating from Victoria.

The ads you see on this website are targeted specifically to Victorians. Vancouverites will see different ads.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users