BUILT
RidgeView Place
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 2770 Claude Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 11
RidgeView Place is an 11-storey, 90-unit residential complex with ground floor commercial space in the 2700-bl... (view full profile)
Learn more about RidgeView Place on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Danbrook One / RidgeView Place | 11-storeys | Rentals, commercial | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
538 replies to this topic

#121 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:14 AM

My amateur understanding is that "gravity system" refers to the strengthening of the frame that resists downward collapse and that "seismic force-resisting" is the strengthening that resists side-to-side motion, ie: earthquakes.

What is not clear is whether the building is merely not up to current earthquake code or if it's truly unstable at this moment. 

Or in other words, is it no more dangerous than any Old Town heritage buiding that hasn't gone through seismic renovation.

#122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,348 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 07:28 AM

today’s tc article says very little more. except that only 60% of the tenants have moved out.

#123 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 08:25 AM

My amateur understanding is that "gravity system" refers to the strengthening of the frame that resists downward collapse and that "seismic force-resisting" is the strengthening that resists side-to-side motion, ie: earthquakes.

What is not clear is whether the building is merely not up to current earthquake code or if it's truly unstable at this moment. 

Or in other words, is it no more dangerous than any Old Town heritage buiding that hasn't gone through seismic renovation.

Here is the WSP summary. https://www.langford...mary.r1. SS.PDF

If Langford released the full report then we wouldn't have to speculate.

#124 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:22 PM

I get a kick out of comment that the city of Langford has “rescinded” the occupancy permit but only suggests that occupants should relocate.

#125 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:25 PM

Looks like they are still open for business.

https://www.cpliving...ts/danbrook-one

#126 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 02:37 PM

The property is walking distance from grocery stores, cafés, restaurants and pubs, and numerous transportation options that connect to Greater Victoria.

And depending on the direction in which the building tumbles, your suite may end up being even closer to those amenities.

#127 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 04:55 PM

it's even more strange the building operator/owner decides to make absolutely no statement to the press.

#128 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:57 AM

it's even more strange the building operator/owner decides to make absolutely no statement to the press.

A gofundme page has been set up to raise money for displaced families. The who is who of Langford developers have chipped in tens of thousands of dollars. From what I can tell, the two groups that haven’t contributed anything are the property owner and the property developer!

On the Langford FAQ page it states that the reason why the City is spending up to $400k to move residents is purely compassionate. On the other hand the TC reports again that Langford is pursuing an insurance claim to recover the funds. Didn’t think you could insure compassion!

Edited by spanky123, 25 December 2019 - 09:01 AM.

#129 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:41 PM

Here is the WSP summary. https://www.langford...mary.r1. SS.PDF

If Langford released the full report then we wouldn't have to speculate.

This has piqued my interest. The executive summary states:

The report recommends the immediate installation of temporary support below two transfer systems at level 2. The supports are to be designed to carry the loads indicated by WSP and must remain until either the EoR demonstrates sufficient design and constructed performance of the transfer system, or the necessary remedial measures are put in place.

Level 2 would appear to mean the second floor and that is borne out in the enhanced construction photos below that clearly shows floor 2 is the transfer slab - where massive beams "transfer" the load of the tower columns onto the main support columns that go to bedrock.  Note the ground floor columns are not directly below the tower columns. My guess is that either some transfer slab beams are not massive enough, or positioned incorrectly, or some main support columns holding up the transfer slab are too small or positioned incorrectly - or a combination of both.  I don't think this will be an easy, or cheap fix.

From the Bentley blog on RAM Structural Systems:  https://communities....ructural-system

This is necessary to ensure the vertical load path is complete, and all gravity loads are getting accounted for in the structure. By transfer slab, I mean a level at which a column or wall bears on a beam or bare slab, directly below which there is no column or wall.

Discontinuous-gravity-columns-with-one_2

post-3-0-63235400-1524419456_DxO.jpg

And the backside:
post-490-0-02008400-1532187855_DxO.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 25 December 2019 - 06:59 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#130 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:52 PM

Sorry for the blurry pictures. This is all I could see they have done,

Attached Images

• DSC07456.JPG
  • DSC07461.JPG

• Rob Randall likes this

#131 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:56 AM

Damn, has anything like this ever happened before locally?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:30 AM

it’s not like they had to work around difficult site conditions. odd they would screw this up.

#133 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 07:57 AM

Damn, has anything like this ever happened before locally?

I think the real question is how many more of these time bombs are there in Langford. 

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:11 AM

There is only one other concrete highrise in Langford and it was built a decade ago. It checks out fine.

This is limited to one building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#135 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

the gofundme has $40k.

https://ca.gofundme....nbrook-one-fund

it seems to me these renters have hit the jackpot.  each household might get as much as $5300.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2019 - 08:14 AM.

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:16 AM

Across 90 households?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#137 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,348 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:25 AM

including the $400k earmarked by langford.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2019 - 08:25 AM.

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:25 AM

Ah, yes.

What exactly is the $400k for?

Know it all.

#139 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

the gofundme has $40k.

https://ca.gofundme....nbrook-one-fund

it seems to me these renters have hit the jackpot.  each household might get as much as $5300.

Not only the renters. My reading of the Langford relocation policy is that Centurion could in theory move tenants to one of its other building, give them the same apartment and then charge them $400  a month more and Langford would pick up the tab!

#140 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:32 AM

There is only one other concrete highrise in Langford and it was built a decade ago. It checks out fine.

This is limited to one building.

You are assuming that this is a problem with a specific type of construction. Perhaps this is a problem with the development and inspection process in Langford. In the rush to get things built do steps get overlooked/ignored?

The same developer is also building Langford's first mass timber 12 story apartment. 

Edited by spanky123, 27 December 2019 - 08:32 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users