BUILT
RidgeView Place
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 2770 Claude Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 11
RidgeView Place is an 11-storey, 90-unit residential complex with ground floor commercial space in the 2700-bl... (view full profile)
Learn more about RidgeView Place on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Danbrook One / RidgeView Place | 11-storeys | Rentals, commercial | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
538 replies to this topic

#161 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:53 PM

Sign on the door of the St. Vincent De Paul thrift store says they will be closed until Danbrook 1 is deemed to be safe. People are still moving out.

#162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:17 PM

https://www.sorensentrilogy.ca is down. This is the website of the engineering firm.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:00 PM

Since the building doesn't have an occupancy permit, and there are still tenants living there, what would happen if a person just decided not to pay any more rent? 

#164 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:14 PM

Since the building doesn't have an occupancy permit, and there are still tenants living there, what would happen if a person just decided not to pay any more rent? 

As a result of the "leaky condo" crisis, while my building was undergoing remediation, technically we did not have an occupancy permit, yet the CoV still collected property taxes from the owners during this period.

#165 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:18 PM

^Yeah, fighting the City is one thing. But the management company is coming from a position of weakness. If it were me I'd put my chequebook away. The worst that could happen is they hassle me and I eventually give in and I get to defer my rent for a couple months.

#166 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:25 AM

^Yeah, fighting the City is one thing. But the management company is coming from a position of weakness. If it were me I'd put my chequebook away. The worst that could happen is they hassle me and I eventually give in and I get to defer my rent for a couple months.

The owners have been quoted as saying that tenants may elect to terminate their lease at no cost and have their security deposits returned. The City has offered to help tenants find a new place to stay and cover all costs related to moving and increased rent. It would be hard to justify remaining in the apartment while not paying rent on that basis.

#167 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:30 AM

Some structural work was completed on the first and second floors just before Xmas but the city says that the building is still unsafe:  https://www.timescol...safe-1.24043810

So we have gone from "a disagreement between two engineers" to "a minor structural issue" to "the building just not being designed to the latest seismic standards" to having 400 structural support posts installed plus building code infractions in addition to seismic concerns. I think a reasonable question at this point is if this is even repairable? My bet is in the next few weeks the lawsuits start flying and then we start to get the real story.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#168 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

Stew Young stated on CFAX that the city does not have Engineers on staff.

Hopefully more info will come out but from the response in the article, it doesn't sound like fixing the issue will take long.

Odd comment from Stew. The City's Director of Engineering is a P.Eng.

#169 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:32 PM

Odd comment from Stew. The City's Director of Engineering is a P.Eng.

I can only guess he is a Civil Engineer....not a Structural Engineer.    Why did they feel they needed to hire an outside engineering firm to do the review?

#170 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 03 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

This whole thing stinks from top to bottom, side to side.

Almost like they knew something was coming down:

Date: December 2, 2019 Langford Council Meeting - Indemnification By Law 1865

Department: Administration Subject: Updated Indemnification Bylaw

Background: 

The City of Langford’s indemnification bylaw, “Members of Council, Officers, and Employees Indemnification Bylaw No. 5,” was written in 1992, and staff recommend an update.

Commentary: 

The purpose of an indemnification bylaw is to ensure that municipal officials are not personally liable for legal costs or fines if they are sued for performing their duties. The Local Government Act section 740 states that local governments can indemnify their officials either by bylaw or by resolution. It is common for BC municipalities to have an indemnification bylaw to provide certainty to officials, including Council, staff and volunteers, that legal costs and fines will be covered if they are individually named in a legal action. The proposed bylaw provides more clarity on who is indemnified, and in what situations. For example, it does not include consultants. It also extends indemnification to volunteers, such as those on Council committees. Financial Implications None. Legal Implications This bylaw provides greater legal clarity to how the City will indemnify its officials.

• rambaldi likes this

#171 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:06 AM

^ We know that this whole issue arose back in April when a whistle-blower filed a complaint with his/her professional association. What do you think the chances are that that was the only person/group that they shared their concerns with? 

Langford states that they were informed on December 3rd that a complaint had been received. That usually means that is when they received the letter. In all likelihood they would have received a call as a heads up prior to that.

• Nparker likes this

#172 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

I can only guess he is a Civil Engineer....not a Structural Engineer. Why did they feel they needed to hire an outside engineering firm to do the review?

*She. And not sure her specific designation, the point more being that Stew wasn’t correct when he said the City doesn’t have any engineers on staff. Langford also has a number of Engineer Technicians (not certified P.Eng but rather AScT) on staff.

To the other point, it’s very common for agencies to go with outside firms to handle these kinds of reviews. Similar to going to an external firm to conduct an audit of a major project.
  • Mike K. likes this

#173 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

I can only guess he is a Civil Engineer....not a Structural Engineer.    Why did they feel they needed to hire an outside engineering firm to do the review?

I'm fairly certain that's the usual way of doing things. It certainly is in Richmond. Difference is that the consultant is not hired by the City, they're hired by the developer. Consultant prepares and seals the report, City reviews and files it.

#174 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:39 AM

To the other point, it’s very common for agencies to go with outside firms to handle these kinds of reviews. Similar to going to an external firm to conduct an audit of a major project.

If the City is concerned about liability and/or the complaint is from one of their own Engineers then they would be best to have a review done at arms length.

Edited by spanky123, 03 January 2020 - 08:39 AM.

#175 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:36 AM

looks like 60 units remain occupied.

More than 20 units in a new Langford highrise have been permanently vacated but people continue to live there in limbo after the building was deemed unsafe just before Christmas.

https://www.timescol...rise-1.24047284

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2020 - 07:37 AM.

#176 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:38 AM

looks like 60 units remain occupied.

More than 20 units in a new Langford highrise have been permanently vacated but people continue to live there in limbo after the building was deemed unsafe just before Christmas.

https://www.timescol...rise-1.24047284

Apparently Centurion is waiving rent payments so I am not surprised that people are moving back in.

#177 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:48 AM

somehow i get the mental picture of all the guys staying and all the mixed couples leaving.

possibility of a collapse and i die / free rent?  ya i'll stay.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2020 - 07:48 AM.

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:01 AM

It sure doesn't sound like the building is on the verge of collapse if three quarters of residents are not concerned enough to move.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#179 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:59 AM

It sure doesn't sound like the building is on the verge of collapse if three quarters of residents are not concerned enough to move.

Free rent and a general lack of info from the City. I am not surprised at all. 

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 09:02 AM

Oh I'm quite certain the residents know more than the average Joe does. I can see five, maybe ten suites remaining occupied by individuals who are riding out the free rent thing, but not 60. This speaks volumes.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users