BUILT
RidgeView Place
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 2770 Claude Road
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Storeys: 11
RidgeView Place is an 11-storey, 90-unit residential complex with ground floor commercial space in the 2700-bl... (view full profile)
Learn more about RidgeView Place on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Danbrook One / RidgeView Place | 11-storeys | Rentals, commercial | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
539 replies to this topic

#321 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:07 PM

Langford is known for smooth sailing on the permit process. There must have been an architect on record. As the coordinating professional, it’s up to them to ensure everything is properly reviewed.

Municipal governments will have Civil Engineers on staff, and while they might (or might not) have a Structural Engineer on staff, I can't see them taking responsibility by second guessing every engineers report.  From news reports in this case, the engineer was not authorized to approve/stamp the report.  If there are issues with Langford's approval process, I guess we will find out in the court ruling.   

#322 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 11:12 AM

Municipal governments will have Civil Engineers on staff, and while they might (or might not) have a Structural Engineer on staff, I can't see them taking responsibility by second guessing every engineers report.  From news reports in this case, the engineer was not authorized to approve/stamp the report.  If there are issues with Langford's approval process, I guess we will find out in the court ruling.   

Would they look to see if an engineer reviewed their own work as part of the process? What do other munis do?

The fact that Langford is being sues doesn't necessarily mean they have done anything wrong. It is pretty common practice to add everyone to a suit.

#323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:28 PM

Langford also moved to secure housing for the tenants of the building.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#324 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:57 AM

Interesting to read Langford Mayor Stew Young's use of the word "we" when he reportedly said,

“It was such a great building when we opened it and then we found the were some structural engineering problems with it...” 

#325 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 November 2021 - 02:03 PM

Interesting to read Langford Mayor Stew Young's use of the word "we" when he reportedly said,

“It was such a great building when we opened it and then we found the were some structural engineering problems with it...” 

I would expect "we" simply means the city.  The city issued an occupancy permit but then revoked it once issues were identified. 

Responsibility for ensuring that the building was engineered correctly is in question.  What portion of responsibility does Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia, municipalities and the private sector have for the quality of engineering completed for buildings?  Who manages qualifications?  I suspect that is part of what will be discussed in court.

#326 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 08:06 AM

Stu has been pretty clear since the day the deficiencies were found that Langford bears no responsibility. I am sure the question will come up in court then as to why they paid hundreds of thousands to relocate tenants. 

#327 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:05 PM

I am sure the question will come up in court then as to why they paid hundreds of thousands to relocate tenants. 

Can you imagine if CoV council had the same concern for their residents?  I guess this is why Stu gets voted in again and again.

#328 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:43 PM

Can you imagine if CoV council had the same concern for their residents?  I guess this is why Stu gets voted in again and again.

Other than this one group of residents has Langford ever done anything similar in the past? If your house burns down do they rent you a place to live?

#329 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:48 PM

Well, they are giving out grants for families to buy homes. That’s pretty nice of them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#330 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:36 PM

Well, they are giving out grants for families to buy homes. That’s pretty nice of them.

Only homes from certain developers!

#331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:41 PM

It’s open to all developers, though. Whoever can work within the confines of the project will have the opportunity to do so, but this isn’t a program most will want to participate in.

Know it all.

#332 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 03:40 PM

^ IIRC, the Capital referred to it as a program to help certain developers sell off unattractive units.

#333 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 05:56 PM

Other than this one group of residents has Langford ever done anything similar in the past? If your house burns down do they rent you a place to live?

I don't know. They do proactive things like their initial COVID response (mixed effectiveness) and they are usually pretty responsive during issues like this one where there are 4 sandbag locations.

#334 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 08:59 PM

If your house is burning, they will come and put it out for you no charge.

If it is an apartment building they phone the bus company so you can sit and watch out of the rain and then the bus will take you to a Salvation Army rescue centre.

#335 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 09:02 PM

^ IIRC, the Capital referred to it as a program to help certain developers sell off unattractive units.

Every condo project currently selling inventory in Langford is sold-out for all intents and purposes. If anyone needs help, it’s the people advising journalists that Langford developers have trouble selling units.

Know it all.

#336 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 09:10 PM

^ Maybe the journalists are advising themselves.

#337 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 09:21 PM

You might not be that far off. Show me a condo that nobody wants to buy in Langford and I’ll do a backflip.

Sooke just sold a $1.1 million condo. A record-breaker for the town.

Know it all.

#338 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 07:41 AM

^ If condos are flying off of the shelf as fast as they are built then why is Langford playing the lottery windfall for a few select owners? Perhaps this is like $10 a day daycare and family doctor's, if you have an "in" or "buddy" you are golden everyone else pays for it while being told to eat cake.

#339 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:00 AM

^ Don’t get me going on the $10 Daycare scam.

That has to be the cruelest election platform ever.

Imagine pimping a vote out of a new mother that has the hopes and dreams of returning to work at a cost of $200 per month.

……then find out that what they really meant was that they will be all tooled up to deliver that election promise when your child is entering grade 2…… if ever.

#340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 November 2021 - 08:06 AM

^ If condos are flying off of the shelf as fast as they are built then why is Langford playing the lottery windfall for a few select owners? Perhaps this is like $10 a day daycare and family doctor's, if you have an "in" or "buddy" you are golden everyone else pays for it while being told to eat cake.

Maybe journalists should investigate that for us?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users