Photo

Subway Restaurants

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Except inflation raises prices anyway.  And jobs are getting eliminated anyway.  I'm sure Subway is happy to use this as an excuse for a price jump, but it's just a handy way to goose that bottom line.

#22 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:52 PM

^huh, more income to workers, more income tax to government

an increased product price = more sales tax to government

and since they increased the price to cover the extra wage cost, they will still make the same profit

a 7% increase nation wide is excessive, plus on an average sandwich that's an extra 50 cents.  It takes how long to make a subway sandwich, 3 minutes?  By that quick math workers just got a $10/hr raise including labor burden

#23 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

^ they aren't making 20 sandwiches an hour all day long.

#24 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

Subway prices went up about four-ish months ago. I don't know the percent rise then but it felt significant. Is this a second increase? I couldn't find anything on Google but I also didn't try very had. 

#25 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

Except inflation raises prices anyway.

What do you mean? Inflation is an outcome, not a driver. Factors, such as increased labour costs, drive inflation. Inflation doesn't just happen on its own. The argument here is that increasing wages drives inflation, as some business owners pass on those costs to consumers (as it appears Subway has done). 

And jobs are getting eliminated anyway.

What do you mean? Employment numbers are as strong as they have been since the mid-1970's. 

The outcomes being discussed here are not really up for debate. We're talking about well established, researched and documented economic outcomes of raising the minimum wage. An increase in the minimum wage causes many outcomes, including:

- Reduced business profits 

- Reduced employment (shorter hours of operation, working existing staff harder, less staff on shift resulting in worse customer service, laying off staff with poor productivity, etc.)

- Companies absorb higher labour costs by passing those costs onto consumers (inflation)

- Increased automation

- Businesses move to lower cost jurisdictions

etc.

#26 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

Every time the CEO gets a 7% pay rise, prices go up 7%, right?

• Nparker likes this

#27 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

I thought this thread was about a Subway at Fort and Blanchard?
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#28 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

I’m at Subway. Prices are unchanged as of yet. I’ll relish this moment.
  • Mike K. likes this

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

I’m at Subway. Prices are unchanged as of yet. I’ll relish this moment.

Subway offers relish now?

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

Every time the CEO gets a 7% pay rise, prices go up 7%, right?

The CEO's salary is a tiny portion of overall sales.  The front-line workers' collective payroll is not.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

I thought this thread was about a Subway at Fort and Blanshard?

You want I should lend you one of these?

off-topic.jpg

• todd likes this

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

wynne.JPG

That would be a Subway sandwich of course.

A Tim Hortons franchise in Ontario is no longer giving employees paid breaks and they have to pay for half their medical and dental plan costs. Other companies are reducing hours and employees. What did you think was going to happen?

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#33 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

The CEO's salary is a tiny portion of overall sales. The front-line workers' collective payroll is not.

3.5 million - I’m all onboard with executives making good money. But that’s about 230,000 hours at Ontario’s minimum wage.
  • Nparker and FirstTimeHomeCrier like this

#34 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:43 PM

I'm surprised that Subway doesn't have an app where you can pre-order your sandwich with requested toppings. Just make people pre-pay through the app.  The future is automation.

McDonalds is really pushing their app now and giving incentives.  They just offered mobile ordering to all Victoria McDonalds, and they have a deal for $1 for a Big Mac, McChicken or Breakfast sandwich when ordering with the mobile device.  You need to connect your credit card with the app though.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

They do have that app or website ability.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:59 AM

Maybe we will be lucky and this will kill this franchise. I hate it’s gross stench that emits from each one. What is up with that?
Anyway, perhaps the economics of it is to get inflation going. There’s a lot of debt in this country right now....

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:11 AM

The stench is baking bread. A similar smell is emitted by bakeries.

#38 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

The stench is baking bread. A similar smell is emitted by bakeries.

idk it smells quite different from Cobs Bread or the grocery store's bakeries to me.

edit: I also never notice the smell at the ones in mall food courts

Edited by Cats4Hire, 10 January 2018 - 07:24 AM.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

BK has increased prices as well. The $6 Whopper deal is now $7, a 17% increase.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:28 AM

idk it smells quite different from Cobs Bread or the grocery store's bakeries to me.
edit: I also never notice the smell at the ones in mall food courts

The malls use sophisticated vent systems.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users