• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#221 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

Right. And who resides at 941 Woodhall?

It is or was owned by some UVic environmental researchers.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#222 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

How peculiar, hey?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#223 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Regardless of ones position, and although the decision of a couple of days ago may seriously chaff some folks, this striking down of the EDPA was the correct move for a responsible council to make.

There were simply far too many odd property zoning decisions, with little (or in some cases no) real back-up for decisions that were being made as to how the EDPA was to affect any given property owners land.

The endless list of unanswered (or unanswerable) questions by affected property owners spoke volumes.

Questions about issues related to the EDPA seemed to be forwarded to unidentified municipal functionaries who were simply parroting each other by responding "it's the by-law".

Affected Saanich residents felt backed up against a wall - and responded accordingly.

In the end, the EDPA was an example of severely damaged goods - both from an administrative and political point of view ... and it had to go.

Saanich council did the right thing.

#224 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

Had it not been for Harper Saanich council would have happily done the wrong thing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#225 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

I think they would have had to be somewhat concerned, if not for their ownership of the property - then for what was beginning to develop as a major concern as to what an EDPA assignment to your property would do down the road on its resale value.

The EDPA was effectively a covenant, and historically, properties with any sort of covenant on them generally sell for less than identical properties without a covenant on them.

"Political Overreach" is a definite concern for taxpayers, especially at the municipal level where it tends to affect people directly

This would appear to be a classic case of political overreach by a Saanich - where residents generally felt council had majorly wandered outside of their mandate.

The EDPA was not a covenant, it was a development permit area. There are 27 (?) others http://www.saanich.c...5 DPAs 2008.pdf

#226 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

Is there any tangible evidence for this door to door stuff, or have urban myths taken hold?

I know anything is possible, but would people walk around neighbourhoods lying to their neighbours or making up wild stories?

In this case though, the outlandish opinions of some could very well have materialized into reality given enough time. A finger today is an arm tomorrow, right? And when it comes to issues like the environment too often sensible decisions are sidestepped for feel-good measures or overreaching policies that accomplish paper pusher’s agendas but which have little impact on the real world.

They came to my door. 

#227 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

Langford will now have more extensive environmental protection policy than Saanich: http://www.langford....nesVersion7.pdf (page A9). Note Langford uses those same terrible maps Saanich is/was!

#228 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

What are you worried about, Benn? That someone will build a patio in their back yard, or pull out some 'precious' plants to extend their lawn? Big deal.

• rjag likes this

#229 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

The issue now is not how good or bad the EDPA was in Saanich but the failure on behalf of Saanich, staff and elected to present it and sell it in a positive light to all citizens. It fell flat on its A$$, whether by the simple fact that Saanich has a reputation for being dismissive to citizen concerns or the fact that they failed to recognize and acknowledge concerns of citizens and act upon them.

Saanich dropped the ball and the arrogance by some of the Councillors around this is simply headshaking. Even Brice this morning said it was better to kill it and develop a new one than continue down this path (its an election year and I bet that never crossed her mind....)

#230 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

The EDPA was not a covenant, it was a development permit area. There are 27 (?) others http://www.saanich.c...5 DPAs 2008.pdf

I said very clearly in my post that it was "effectively" a covenant.

... because language matters.

#231 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

If you connect 'effectively a convenant' to the impacts of convenants, yes it does matter, in the sense that it is a false comparison. You'd think it would be more reasonable to connect DPAs to the impacts of DPAs on resale / etc. Fill your boots with hyperbole though, if that's your thing.

#232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Benn, why did Saanich suddenly decide to pursue something like the EDPA?

Know it all.

#233 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Fill your boots with hyperbole though, if that's your thing.

Thanks for the tip on how to post on an internet forum!

I'm pretty new, and I need all the help people like yourself can offer me.

I'd like to send you a nice gift as a result of your offer of assistance ... where should I send it to?

Thanks again!

• jonny likes this

#234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Fellas! Let's be respectful.

Know it all.

#235 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

Mike Im pretty sure you're playing possum but what the hell... It wasn't sudden, it took 10 years from when the maps were available until Saanich made use of them. http://www.saanich.c...ermit-area.html
  • Mike K. likes this

#236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:59 PM

Ok, thanks for that.

Know it all.

#237 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

Apparently the biologist under investigation has been cited by the College of Applied Biology. https://www.dropbox....4_2017.pdf?dl=0

#238 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

A rally is planned Monday by Saanich residents calling on council to restore the Environmental Development Permit Area bylaw.

Council voted 5-4 last weekend to scrap the EDPA, which was passed in 2012 to protect sensitive ecosystems on 2,200 single family properties.

In a statement, Larry Wartels from a group calling itself ‘Homeowners for Saanich’s EDPA’ says the bylaw should not be taken away because it protects and respects homeowners’  rights.

Is this the same Larry Wartel(s)?

Larry Wartel of the Communist Party tries to link chemtrails to anti-semitism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9uDA0MODg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9uDA0MODg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 November 2017 - 09:01 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#239 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

https://www.change.o...ich-environment

Over the past decades, Saanich has lost much of it's native biodiversity. In 2012, Saanich enacted a new bylaw, to ensure that remaining areas aren't further degraded or lost during development.

A well funded group of developers have pushed Saanich to the brink of repealing this bylaw, through the use of Trump style misinformation tactics. They don't want to consider the environment when they develop and are willing to compromise protection across all of Saanich to satisfy their profit maximizing objectives.

If you support progressive environmental policy in Saanich or don't want environmental protection in your different municipality degraded in this same manner, please sign this petition, and help protect the environment for future generations:

Nothing like a bit of exaggerated fearmongering to get the torches and pitchfork crowds juices flowing. Because the minute this is struck down the bulldozers and chainsaws are ready to clearcut everything from 10 Mile Point through Queenswood all the way over to that evil SOB Vandekerkhoves property. 

:farmer:

• lanforod likes this

#240 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 09:15 AM

Is this the same Larry Wartel(s)?

If you heard him on CFAX this morning it sure sounded like the same guy. He started going on about how the EDPA is the first step on transitioning to a carbon free lifestyle and to get people off fossil fuels....fascinating if this is their spokesperson....kind of sets the tone

Edited by rjag, 06 November 2017 - 09:25 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users