Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#241 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:07 AM

How about we all agree to go back to europe when every non european living there goes back to their original homeland. Then we can basically start the game from scratch and give everyone a second chance

It's important to be sure you have consent.  If a country you fancy settling in has been drinking then you don't want to go there and find out later you weren't invited.

#242 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:28 AM

I have traced my family back to the late 1700s in Canada but not further so I'm not certain exactly where Helps would want to ship me off to.

Also who decides what timeline gets used or is this only measured by race? Where did the FN citizens migrate from? Do they need to also be shipped back to areas of Russia and Asia? Is Canada owned by Russia?

Edited by On the Level, 15 August 2018 - 10:29 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#243 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

I have traced my family back to the late 1700s in Canada but not further so I'm not certain exactly where Helps would want to ship me off to.

Also who decides what timeline gets used or is this only measured by race? Where did the FN citizens migrate from? Do they need to also be shipped back to areas of Russia and Asia? Is Canada owned by Russia?

Every homo sapien on the planet owes reparations to those people with Neanderthal variants in their DNA for how horribly the Neanderthals were treated
  • mbjj, Cassidy and Cats4Hire like this

#244 marino

marino
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

Ya know, the CoV mayor & council parallel the dysfunctional strata council & management we have in a prominent Victoria condominium.   

It’s repeatedly, an unaccountable knife through the heart.  And, for the most part, it’s sadly just accepted…

#245 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:17 PM

May want a new topic for this but it looks like Trudeau is going to give us all a new stat holiday. https://www.theglobe...marking-brutal/

Most people in Canada don't get a paid day off to honour the hundred of thousands who died protecting our freedom, but they will get a day off to remember residential school 'survivors'.

Remembrance Day is a Federal Holiday in Canada. However, constitutionally, Stat holidays are up to the provinces to decide on. So each individual province choose whether or not to recognize the federal holiday as a stat.

Unless this bill comes with changes to the jurisdiction and responsibilities of Federal vs Provincial governments, it will be the same.

#246 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:57 PM

Are the kindergarten kids still allowed to sing "Old MacDonald had a farm"?  :farmer:

• mbjj likes this

#247 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:29 PM

Lisa runs the city...lmaooo. 

This whole "City Family" thing is just....weird. 

• Nparker, Love the rock and Cassidy like this

#248 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

Ya know, the CoV mayor & council parallel the dysfunctional strata council & management we have in a prominent Victoria condominium.   

It’s repeatedly, an unaccountable knife through the heart.  And, for the most part, it’s sadly just accepted…

And which strata would that be?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#249 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:51 PM

Is it not terribly "colonial" for Lisa to sit as the head of this City Family? The City Family meetings are held in Helps City of Victoria Mayoral office, no less. 

• Midnightly likes this

#250 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:59 PM

They have a $50,000 annual budget for their dinners so maybe it’s easiest to have those catered into city hall.

#251 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:02 PM

Catering sounds very colonial.

#252 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

colonialism is only bad when it doesn't directly benefit me though!

#253 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

Interesting to see how the smug comments from some folks leaning left last Friday/Saturday aren’t so smug now.

Calling anyone that was against this a racist/nazi/alt-right etc etc because they spoke out against the lack of process at dictatorial way this was handled is just foolish and reflective of their intolerance

Knowing they are in the serious minority on this, they aren’t making these claims as much only a few days later.

Even Comrade Isitt isn’t taking calls from the media as it’s kryptonite now.
  • spanky123 and Wayne like this

#254 marino

marino
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

And which strata would that be?

Thank you, Sebberry, for inquiring.  

I’m wondering if we’re allowed - or it’s prudent - on Vibrant Victoria to identify a building?    

Administrators: Please advise.

#255 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,468 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:40 PM

This sounds like something we’d prefer to be posted without a pseudonym. Any claims regarding an organization that could relate to said organization having a serious grievance or taking issue with a public comment is best done above board.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#256 marino

marino
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

Roger that, Mike K. 

Perhaps there should be a Strata Grievance thread?   

Something that deals with Councils & Management?    

"We have a responsibility to protect our investments.”  

I do not want to hijack this very important Thread …    

#257 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

Roger that, Mike K. 

Perhaps there should be a Strata Grievance thread?   

Something that deals with Councils & Management?    

"We have a responsibility to protect our investments.”  

I do not want to hijack this very important Thread …    

Feel free to create a thread.  There are a few folks with strata experience around here who may be able to point you in the right direction.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#258 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

Are we proposing to remove the mayor and council and relocate them to a local strata council? If so, I second the motion. Sounds like a fun reality show.
  • Nparker likes this

#259 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:22 PM

statue.jpg

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#260 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

Are we proposing to remove the mayor and council and relocate them to a local strata council...

At least that should reduce the damage they can inflict on the citizens of the CoV.

• rjag and rmpeers like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users