Photo

Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#341 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:46 PM

I'm not sure I want to know what you guys are getting at.

#342 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,929 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

that history especially relatively ancient history in terms of modern civilization is hard to figure out.  don't believe everything you read from one historian.  

we think communicate and socialize so differently than anybody in 1865 why even pretend to know what they thought.  

but if you do want an insight read their letters their own words.

i mentioned earlier these were not regular fill-time forces - told to go to war for this specific reason or that - most were militia and mercenary men that signed up once things got going and for an amazingly vast variety of reasons - both north and south. slavery issues being one for some.  excitement/action being also a big motivator in war. that's why 90% of WW1 recruits signed up.  action, adventure.  blowing up things, firing guns.  young men love that stuff.  paycheck too?  sign me up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 August 2018 - 07:05 PM.

#343 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:10 PM

I will soon read what I didn't to make sure I haven't missed anything.
Guns: now who invented those again? The Chinese we are told invented gunpowder, but then did nothing much with it.

Looking forward to discussing zebra domestication with you. Also, thanks for inspiring me to read up on the history of gunpowder.

#344 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:49 PM

Looking forward to discussing zebra domestication with you. Also, thanks for inspiring me to read up on the history of gunpowder.

I found this book fascinating: 'Gunpowder: Alchemy, Bombards and Pyrotechnics' by Jack Kelley

Also Stephen Bown does a great job on Dynamite in: 'A Most Damnable Invention'

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#345 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 06:55 AM

I believe most of the “Slave South” who were in power were Democrats.

It was Democrats who advocated for slavery, not Republicans.

You understand of course that the Democratic Party underway a major shift in support and direction in the 1940s and 1950s, culminating in the bulk of the Southern Democrats shifting to Republicans in the 1960s over the Civil Rights and school integration and revoking Jim Crow laws and such? Also that political parties undergo policy shifts over time, and rarely are the same entity after two hundred years.

And that should be Slave South, no quotes.  The Southern states of the United States were slave-holding, and fought a treasonous war in defense of slavery, so it's not a euphemism or an ironic designation.

Edited by Jason-L, 22 August 2018 - 06:55 AM.

#346 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:16 AM

You understand of course that the Democratic Party underway a major shift in support and direction in the 1940s and 1950s, culminating in the bulk of the Southern Democrats shifting to Republicans in the 1960s over the Civil Rights and school integration and revoking Jim Crow laws and such? Also that political parties undergo policy shifts over time, and rarely are the same entity after two hundred years.

And that should be Slave South, no quotes.  The Southern states of the United States were slave-holding, and fought a treasonous war in defense of slavery, so it's not a euphemism or an ironic designation.

The problem with your argument is that several Northern states allowed slavery as well. 

#347 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

I think you can remove individual soldiers from the debate. It’s a given that they aren’t evil, even if they are fighting for evil....

#348 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

The problem with your argument is that several Northern states allowed slavery as well. 

Except they didn't fight a treasonous war in defense of slavery.

#349 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

The Southern states of the United States were slave-holding, and fought a treasonous war

Kind of a minor detail but was it actually treason? They regarded themselves as a new country and had renounced USA citizenships and in fact went to war against USA as a foreign nation. If it was treason then so was the American rebellion against the british
  • Cassidy likes this

#350 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

I think you can remove individual soldiers from the debate. It’s a given that they aren’t evil, even if they are fighting for evil....

i indicated though these were not career soldiers.  they signed up for the most part.  that's totally different than contemporary 1st-world war.  so you do have to think about individual motivations.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 August 2018 - 08:27 AM.

#351 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 08:15 PM

i indicated though these were not career soldiers. they signed up for the most part. that's totally different than contemporary 1st-world war. so you do have to think about individual motivations.

And as you said, motivation will be all over the map so some individual letters are interesting to personify those involved but it’s meaningless to a debate about what the war was about... For that you need to look at letters from the war makers....

#352 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 11:31 PM

The guy directing me to the security lineups at the airport the other day ask me what city I was going to I reply "victoria" he said “that's where they're removing the statue” I replied “i don't really know what to think about that” I don't really want to talk about it after that.

#353 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:35 AM

OF COURSE I UNDERSTAND, did not the very fact that I had this little nugget of information tucked away in my head indicate to you that I was aware of the Republican/Democrat relationship to slavery?

And "yes" I will continue to put "slave South" in quotes, as it is indeed a euphemism for animalistic, brutal, inhuman, egotistic treatment of human beings for no reason other than the colour of their skin.

Now ... a correction for you. 

The Civil War had nothing to do with treason, they were secessionists. They weren't trying to overthrow the government of the Union, they had seceded and formed their own government, had their own flag, and declared their own independence ... you know, just like the United States of America did with the British when they perceived the British were treating them badly.

If you're going to try and give folks history lessons ... please do take the time to learn the history first.

#354 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 05:43 AM

Ok let's dial this down a little please. It's a nasty topic that is drifting away from the intent of the thread and creating emotions that although are understandable, perhaps should be vetted elsewhere. 

• Nparker and rjag like this

#355 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

culminating in the bulk of the Southern Democrats shifting to Republicans in the 1960s over the Civil Rights and school integration and revoking Jim Crow laws and such? 

You need to read more detail.  only 3 switched over.  helms, godwin and thurmond.  not the bulk.

#356 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:37 AM

https://www.huffingt...oll_a_23518102/

'Fifty-five per cent of those polled said the statue shouldn't have been removed. Twenty-five per cent were in favour of the decision, while 20 per cent were unsure.'

#357 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,929 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:49 AM

so those that would keep it outnumber the others 2-1.  

#358 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

I believe most of the “Slave South” who were in power were Democrats.

It was Democrats who advocated for slavery, not Republicans.

yes very true, Lincoln, a Republican, ran on an anti-slavery ticket

Perhaps you should listen to the most famous Democrat speech of the 1960's by George Wallace

Yes there was a slave south at one point, just as there was a slave north and a slave Canada too.  Even the Canadian First Nations practiced slavery

#359 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:40 AM

I'd also like to see Helps and Council removed in the same way the Sir John A statue was removed, and then when they are done put the statue back

#360 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:51 AM

I'd also like to see Helps and Council removed in the same way the Sir John A statue was removed, and then when they are done put the statue back

The place to put the homeless Sir John A.statue could be in the next homeless tent city.

Edited by Bingo, 09 September 2018 - 03:56 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users