Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#361 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:27 PM

Actually that's something that western civilization doesn't really get credit for. It was western civilization (Britain and the United States) which pretty much ended slavery in large part. I know there's still slavery out there but it's basically been irradiated. I know, I know we should never point out anything good that's been done by the wicked west. I'll take my white privilege elsewhere and continue to feel bad about myself for being born white.

• rjag and tedward like this

#362 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:32 PM

... I know there's still slavery out there but it's basically been irradiated...

A 50Mt bomb can solve a lot of problems.

#363 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:41 PM

Actually that's something that western civilization doesn't really get credit for. It was western civilization (Britain and the United States) which pretty much ended slavery in large part. I know there's still slavery out there but it's basically been irradiated. I know, I know we should never point out anything good that's been done by the wicked west. I'll take my white privilege elsewhere and continue to feel bad about myself for being born white.

Hehe eradicated....slavery is still going strong in North and Central Africa and the Middle East....but the SJW's dont want to know about that 

#364 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 04:50 AM

tc says it cost at least $23,000 to remove the statue.

#365 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:20 AM

tc says it cost at least $23,000 to remove the statue.

I like the article! Apparently City staff can't provide any itemization of expenses but they know that it totals $23K!

• Bingo and Victoria Watcher like this

#366 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:40 AM

$22,976 to be exact.  

#367 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:43 AM

$22,976 to be exact.  

Which is exactly the sort of number I would expect when staff have no itemized expenses but want to convince you otherwise.

#368 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:48 AM

I am proud as a taxpayer to have been able to contribute to the mayor's campaign launch event and also to an initiative that has done so much to advance the reconciliation process.

I also applaud the fiscal prudence.

#369 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:16 AM

If the expense/stunt of the statue removal gets Lisa Helps removed from the mayor's office, then it's money well spent. Unfortunately, far too many CoV voters don't seem to be able to see what sort of person she really is.

#370 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

If the expense/stunt of the statue removal gets Lisa Helps removed from the mayor's office, then it's money well spent. Unfortunately, far too many CoV voters don't seem to be able to see what sort of person she really is.

Well, she and her campaign team seem to be skilled at weaponizing dissent and using it as fodder for the "people are being mean to the mayor" campaign fundraising program.

I also think that, again, there's a Trumpian aspect to all this. As with Trump, there seems to be an awareness by her team that every time reasonable people react angrily to one of her misdeeds, it energizes her base. Memo to other candidates: do not under any circumstances refer to the mayor's supporters as "deplorables". :)
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#371 That Ferry Bay

That Ferry Bay
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 11:33 AM

I am proud as a taxpayer to have been able to contribute to the mayor's campaign launch event and also to an initiative that has done so much to advance the reconciliation process.

I also applaud the fiscal prudence.

Wouldn't you be prouder if the mayor had implemented just ONE of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation commission? Are you happy that the current municipal government has not done anything that municipalities were encouraged to do, ignoring results agreed upon by all First Nations in Canada? 

I find it incredible that you can be happy with a mere gesture, using our aboriginal people as an electorial tool, and ignore the reality of an entire mandate shunning real policies recommended to really advance reconciliation in Canada. 

But of course, if such hypocrisy works in Victoria, and people are attracted to it, who cares if any real reconciliation is implemented in the city. I find it a huge snub towards the First Nations with history, culture and legacy in Victoria, removing a symbol and ignoring everything else. 

#372 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:27 AM

To be completely Honest,  I've walked by city hall for decades, and never once actually took the time to see who that statue was. I knew it was there, but never actually looked closer at it or the plaque in front of it. I can bet the Majority of Victorian's are in the exact same boat. I wonder if they were to do a survey of everyone in greater Victoria how many would honestly answer that they had no idea there was a statue of Sir John A. in front of city hall?  I know I didn't.

#373 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:39 AM

I wonder if they were to do a survey of everyone in greater Victoria how many would honestly answer that they had no idea there was a statue of Sir John A. in front of city hall?  I know I didn't.

I think the statues only real claim to any presumed fame was that the T/C repeatedly used a photo of the statue, and the "City Hall" sign behind it for years (if not decades) for generic articles about COV politics, and any "news" coming out of City Hall.

Beyond that, unless a person ever walked through that door to go into City Hall (which would be what ... .5% of the population of the COV?), the statue was set way back on the sidewalk, and was essentially invisible.

Edited by Cassidy, 29 September 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#374 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:43 AM

Wouldn't you be prouder if the mayor had implemented just ONE of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation commission? Are you happy that the current municipal government has not done anything that municipalities were encouraged to do, ignoring results agreed upon by all First Nations in Canada? 

I find it incredible that you can be happy with a mere gesture, using our aboriginal people as an electorial tool, and ignore the reality of an entire mandate shunning real policies recommended to really advance reconciliation in Canada. 

But of course, if such hypocrisy works in Victoria, and people are attracted to it, who cares if any real reconciliation is implemented in the city. I find it a huge snub towards the First Nations with history, culture and legacy in Victoria, removing a symbol and ignoring everything else. 

Welcome to VV!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#375 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:52 AM

To be completely Honest,  I've walked by city hall for decades, and never once actually took the time to see who that statue was. I knew it was there, but never actually looked closer at it or the plaque in front of it. I can bet the Majority of Victorian's are in the exact same boat. I wonder if they were to do a survey of everyone in greater Victoria how many would honestly answer that they had no idea there was a statue of Sir John A. in front of city hall?  I know I didn't.

Same. And even fewer would know that it was there because he was Victoria's MP for four years (despite the fact that he had never been to Victoria).

#376 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

How about we don't play fast and loose with the facts?

Wouldn't you be prouder if the mayor had implemented just ONE of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation commission?

They are working on five of them: 

The Witness Reconciliation Program will consider how the City might respond to the five recommendations highlighted by the TRC for attention by municipalities but will also work in the broadest manner to realize, on a local scale, the TRC's mandate to tell Canadians what happened in the Indian Residential Schools, create a permanent record of what happened in the Indian Residential Schools, and foster healing and reconciliation within Canada.

- http://www.victoria....nciliation.html

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#377 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

How about we don't play fast and loose with the facts?

They are working on five of them:

If we get a more skilled bunch of people elected this month, I am hopeful that however they approach things re the TRC, they will do it more respectfully than the current team and in a way that unites and teaches rather than divides and alienates.
  • Nparker likes this

#378 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

...and foster healing and reconciliation within Canada.

The City's doing an absolutely marvellous job on that front.

• pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#379 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:28 AM

If we get a more skilled bunch of people elected this month, I am hopeful that however they approach things re the TRC, they will do it more respectfully than the current team and in a way that unites and teaches rather than divides and alienates.

I wish. 

The problem as I see it, is that there is a large constituency of mostly white males for whom the whole idea of reconciliation is offensive. They will argue against implementation of any and all proposals using the kind of underhanded, misleading arguments designed to divide and alienate.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#380 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:12 AM

I wish. 

The problem as I see it, is that there is a large constituency of mostly white males for whom the whole idea of reconciliation is offensive. They will argue against implementation of any and all proposals using the kind of underhanded, misleading arguments designed to divide and alienate.

Nice labelling, can you support that assertion with actual facts?

My wife who is a 30 year Teacher with a Masters in Counseling and extensive experience with FN trauma thinks the process around SJAM was a joke and FN were used as props to promote an agenda. Even her FN Counselor friends in SD61 are saying this....and these are folks that arent SJW's but are actually doing something

• Midnightly and Mystic-Pizza like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users