Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#381 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

I wish.

The problem as I see it, is that there is a large constituency of mostly white males for whom the whole idea of reconciliation is offensive. They will argue against implementation of any and all proposals using the kind of underhanded, misleading arguments designed to divide and alienate.

And Helps, Isitt and co have just stoked the division, likely hoping they could score a political quick win by fanning the prejudices. Set back reconciliation? Who cares? They are desperate and don't care who gets hurt, as long as they win.

Bury sexual harrassment allegations? Can do. Lie about burying harrassment allegations? Check. Whatever it takes to win.
  • Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

#382 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

Same. And even fewer would know that it was there because he was Victoria's MP for four years (despite the fact that he had never been to Victoria).

I think we learned that in grade 9 Social Studies in Duncan, in about 1969. :)

#383 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:48 PM

So the final cost for removing the statue was 30k, according to the latest news reports.

Even if one agrees that this was a useful step towards reconciliation, rather than a cycnical stunt to launch the incumbent mayor's reelection campaign, isn't 30k just a little pricey? Not to mention the costs that will be incurrred if The Family ever finds a safe, non-triggering location to reinstall it.

#384 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:51 PM

So the final cost for removing the statue was 30k, according to the latest news reports.

Even if one agrees that this was a useful step towards reconciliation, rather than a cycnical stunt to launch the incumbent mayor's reelection campaign, isn't 30k just a little pricey? Not to mention the costs that will be incurrred if The Family ever finds a safe, non-triggering location to reinstall it.

"Non Triggering" LOL   PC Mental Illness working like a charm.

• rjag likes this

#385 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:57 PM

Simply put a series of 15 foot-high concentric walls or curtains around the statue. A sign on the outer ring says "something that may be triggering is inside". The second ring says it is a statue, the third sign says it is a statue of a CIS male et cetera. The visitor goes as far as they are comfortable. 

It's a simple solution, don't know why you right wingers get so twisted up about it.

• rjag, sdwright.vic, rmpeers and 1 other like this

#386 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

From the strategy planning documents posted to the City website. Under reconciliation and indigenous relations, 2019, first priority listed:

Involve the community in reconciliation efforts and create opportunities for residents to learn more about Indigenous history and culture and what it means to live in a city on someone else’s lands

#387 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:39 PM

Yet, involving the community as above derails the grandstanding required by our leaders. They must make sure that we know that they know what is best for us.
  • rmpeers likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#388 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:40 PM

and what it means to live in a city on someone else’s lands

over my dead body

#389 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:43 PM

OMG

#390 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:26 PM

From the strategy planning documents posted to the City website. Under reconciliation and indigenous relations, 2019, first priority listed:

Involve the community in reconciliation efforts and create opportunities for residents to learn more about Indigenous history and culture and what it means to live in a city on someone else’s lands

So basically every city anywhere in the world.... Where do they find these Rocket Scientists?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#391 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,721 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:57 PM

Involve the community in...what it means to live in a city on someone else’s lands

So I guess I can forward my 2019 CoV property tax bill to the Esquimalt and Songhees first nations for payment? If it's not my land, I see no reason why I should be the one paying for it.

• rjag, Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#392 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:41 PM

When I got married on my property the marriage commissioner was going over what we were to say and she came to the end where we were to say thank you to the Coast Salish people for allowing us to be on their land. I said “ish”. She said “what”. I told her I paid way to much money for my land to say that!
  • rjag, sdwright.vic, RFS and 2 others like this

#393 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

Just like I didn't allow "god" into my gay wedding. Good on ya!*

*decided I just need to be an a hole to one sided idiots on here for awhile. Dasmo not you! YOU know whom I am talking to

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 November 2018 - 08:37 PM.

• rmpeers likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#394 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:49 AM

Here is the source strategy planning document. Discussion now in progress at City Hall.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=25030

#395 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:15 AM

Here is the source strategy planning document. Discussion now in progress at City Hall.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=25030

Interesting.

Here's a good example of the mayor and council's fait accompli approach to decision-making:

In the Reconciliation section of the document, one of the action items is to support the restoration of Indigenous place names. Okay, sure, let's involve the community and discuss that...

But then 2 items later, there's "Pursue co-governance of Meegan (Beacon Hill Park) and shoreline area with the Lekwungen people."

Now, I should say that it's not going to break my heart if they change the park name. If it genuinely helps the reconciliation process, then why not?

BUT I suspect there are others who may be upset if the name gets changed without community discussion. And seeing BHP reduced to a parenthetical status in a City document looks to me like (true to form) the decision has already been made.

And this is what continues to chafe: the smug, we-know-best attitude that forms a backdrop to so many of their controversial moves.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#396 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,721 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:22 AM

..."Pursue co-governance of Meegan (Beacon Hill Park) and shoreline area with the Lekwungen people."...

And much like the name of the new library in James Bay, no one would ever call it anything but Beacon Hill Park anyway. 

#397 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:33 AM

But if they decolonize BHP then that means the restrictive covenant isnt valid and we can have events there again...I can dream cant I?

• Baro likes this

#398 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:06 AM

I'm sure City staff will finagle it so Indigenous control of the park is in effect, merely symbolic. Like they would not be allowed to sell artwork or food items inside the proposed longhouse.The City can chop down statues and street signs like there's no tomorrow but I doubt there will be significant transfers of power where it really matters.

Edited by Rob Randall, 20 November 2018 - 10:07 AM.

• Bingo likes this

#399 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

Why not have a park within a park or have a large area on top of the hill that is under Indigenous control and renamed as they see fit.

Don't forget the lawn bowling club that is available for members and non-members to rent for private functions.

https://www.victorialbc.com/rentals/

#400 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 10:32 AM

^That sounds like something the Supreme Court would have to sort out.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users