• 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

I sent a Happy J.A.M. Day email to mayor and council
  • Nparker and RFS like this

#423 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

Perhaps, since Indigenous members of the family have said they would like the statue recontextualized rather than hidden, the mayor could take this opportunity to announce that statue's new location. Yes, she got the media hype for her campaign launch and achieved her goal of upsetting a lot of people. And the cynical, exploitive gimmick worked. Victoria voters love her Trump-style approach. We get it. But now maybe lets bring him back in a way that is respectful to everyone.

#424 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

...Victoria voters love her Trump-style approach...

56% of Victoria voters did not like her approach.

#425 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

Interesting that the people who like to ***** and moan about the CoV not sticking in their lane are enjoying a useless proclamation by a previous federal government when they could have focused that time on things that mattered.

#426 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

Interesting that the people who like to ***** and moan about the CoV not sticking in their lane are enjoying a useless proclamation by a previous federal government when they could have focused that time on things that mattered.

Actually national 'day's' and recognition of the nation's founder are well within the purview of the federal government.  Nice try 

#427 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Actually national 'day's' and recognition of the nation's founder are well within the purview of the federal government.  Nice try 

And they do about as much as when the city sends letters to oil companies.  It's all a waste of time.

#428 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:01 PM

And they do about as much as when the city sends letters to oil companies.  It's all a waste of time.

Who's time is wasted by having a day dedicated to something?

#429 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

Who's time is wasted by having a day dedicated to something?

Staff, leg clerks, drafters.  People who have better things to do like laws that actually affect people.

#430 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

....People who have better things to do like laws that actually affect people.

You mean things like selecting civic Poet Laureates?

• rjag, sdwright.vic and rmpeers like this

#431 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Staff, leg clerks, drafters. People who have better things to do like laws that actually affect people.

So then city proclamations should stop in their entirety as well if it is poor form for the Feds to do so

Edited by sdwright.vic, 11 January 2019 - 02:21 PM.

• Nparker and rjag like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#432 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:38 PM

Staff, leg clerks, drafters.  People who have better things to do like laws that actually affect people.

hahahahahaha omg funniest thing I've read all day!!!! 

• sdwright.vic likes this

#433 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:05 PM

The Americans have found themselves in a bit of a quandary....

buffalo.jpg

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#434 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

Her Worseship is as a manipulative politician as there ever has been.

...a redacted email from Helps to city family members, released as part of a freedom of information request made by the Times Colonist in August, shows that as far back as November 2017 — nine months earlier — the decision to ask council to remove the statue had already been made...

https://www.timescol...king-1.23609051

She played council and the citizens of the CoV like a finely tuned instrument. How anyone in good conscience could have voted to give this woman a second term as mayor is beyond me.

• mbjj, rmpeers and Cats4Hire like this

#435 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:45 AM

Her Worseship is as a manipulative politician as there ever has been.
She played council and the citizens of the CoV like a finely tuned instrument. How anyone in good conscience could have voted to give this woman a second term as mayor is beyond me.

I don't know if the thousands of people who voted for her were spectacularly ill-informed, lacking in moral character, enjoy being lied to, or a combination of those factors, but here we are. It's not about politics; it about misleading voters again and again and again. And like Trump, she clearly doesn't care. Enough voters took their ignorance to the pools to secure her a 2nd term. Sadly, the Trump approach works just as well here as in the US. Ignorance is king in Victoria.
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#436 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

Remind us. What did she say the time span was originally when the issue of deciding to remove the statue was made?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#437 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

Remind us. What did she say the time span was originally when the issue of deciding to remove the statue was made?

I believe that Helps said it had been discussed for a while, she just left out the part about it only being discussed within her "family" group.

#438 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:02 AM

Ah, ok.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#439 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:19 AM

I think that there are two broader issues at stake here. Despite knowing about the JAM plans for months, neither Alto nor Thorton-Joe said anything to their fellow Councillors. Talk about screwing your friends. To make things even worse, after the move was announced, they said nothing and let their fellow Councillors take the heat. If I were Ben or Jeremy, I would have a chat with the two ladies and mention that none of their motions over the next 3 years will be passed unless they start acting as a member of the team.

Reading this article, some of the recent work by Focus and talking with friends of mine who are part of various community groups, there seems to be a real lack of record keeping on sensitive issues at City Hall. More and more often, people making requests from City Hall are not getting redacted documents, they are getting nothing at all and being told that no records exist. This lack of accountability is disturbing and lends credence to the argument that the Mayor's CoS is really just being put in place to create another barrier to access.

Edited by spanky123, 23 January 2019 - 10:20 AM.

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#440 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Lisa the Liar strikes again.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users