Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#461 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

The City is refusing to broadcast the City Family presentation this morning at the COTW meeting "out of respect for indigenous practices". So much for transparency.

Out of respect for Indigenous practices this segment of the meeting will not be webcast.

What indigenous practices cant be publicised? 

#462 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

What indigenous practices cant be publicised? 

They may not be concealing an indigenous practice, they might mean that opacity in and of itself is an indigenous practice.

#463 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:32 AM

It is true that Indigenous oral tradition is unfairly downplayed. Narrow-minded Western historians that assume history only extends back to the invention of writing ignore the validity of sophisticated oral story-telling in local cultures.

Indigenous elders recognize the technical precision of written history but point out its failure to convey the full range of emotion, nuance and rhythm found in traditional story telling, especially when several elders gather with each person contributing their take on the story. 

However, I don't think this tradition was intended to sidestep transparency and accountability in official business.

Some in the Indigenous community see the act of reviewing the minutes of a meeting and asking questions to be an act of undermining authority.

#464 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

For thousands of years local Indigenous peoples have lived surrounded by potential enemies. A strong authoritative leadership was key to sustaining the nation. Continually second-guessing the chiefs leads to disorder. 

There is a parallel to Biblical Israel. The Ten Commandments are not about being a nice person, they're about keeping your vulnerable nation safe and strong.

#465 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

...I don't think this tradition was intended to sidestep transparency and accountability in official business...

But it conveniently absolves CoV council for not being as transparent in their official business as they promised to be.

#466 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Then don't do anything that you don't want me to see. If you are suddenly my unelected representative in reconciliation, then I have a right to know what is going on.
  • Midnightly likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#467 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:40 AM

For thousands of years local Indigenous peoples have lived surrounded by potential enemies. A strong authoritative leadership was key to sustaining the nation. Continually second-guessing the chiefs leads to disorder.

There is a parallel to Biblical Israel. The Ten Commandments are not about being a nice person, they're about keeping your vulnerable nation safe and strong.

Yes and we Europeans used to be governed by all powerful kings and queens. Not sure why our city in 2019 should be run according to pre-historic Indian tribal practices

#468 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:41 AM

But it conveniently absolves CoV council for not being as transparent in their official business as they promised to be.

Yes, it can be misused.

The lands surrounding the Salish Sea are now ruled by centralized governments kept in place by a system of checks and balances. Reconciling the two systems will entail conflict and misunderstanding.

#469 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

Yes, it can be misused.

The lands surrounding the Salish Sea are now ruled by centralized governments kept in place by a system of checks and balances. Reconciling the two systems will entail conflict and misunderstanding.

Uh, no.  They can govern as they wish in their bands.  There will be no "reconciling" or changing of our system beyond superficial Lisa Helps style stunts used as cover for her nefarious goals

#470 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

What else does a secretive system of decision-making lead to?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#471 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

What else does a secretive system of decision-making lead to?

You mean, in modern times? It's not very compatible with the checks and balances stuff.

• Mike K. likes this

#472 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

If the meetings are taking place at City Hall then it should be broadcast. The camera can start after the sacred traditions are completed. 

#473 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:06 PM

https://www.victoria...tion Policy.pdf

Members are being paid to attend, they are not volunteers. If tax payer funds are being used then it has to be broadcast. Full transparency applies to everyone. The mayor is playing games again. Why did people vote her in again? 

• mbjj and Midnightly like this

#474 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:09 PM

Really, they are getting paid? No interview? No vote? No public call?

#475 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,008 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

natives almost always collect “honorariums” for attendance or talks. it’s very common.

here is a uvic policy:

https://www.uvic.ca/...quick guide.pdf

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 May 2019 - 05:14 PM.

#476 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:14 PM

This is not a talk though, if it was s talk there would be a audience, not just self flagellation.

This is hidden governance.

#477 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

Geoff Young spoke out against closing the council meeting to the public this morning. Unfortunately he was the only one.

Mayor Helps acknowledged his concern and commented on the difficulty of trying to follow two sets of laws. 

Edited by spanky123, 02 May 2019 - 06:15 PM.

#478 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

Geoff Young spoke out against closing the council meeting to the public this morning. Unfortunately he was the only one.

Mayor Helps acknowledged his concern and commented on the difficulty of trying to follow two sets of laws. 

Thats utter Bvllshit. In Chambers there is only 1 set of Laws. They are making a mockery of our system

• Nparker, sebberry, mbjj and 4 others like this

#479 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:38 PM

So I guess if it come down to having only one set of laws, I guess we know which ones helps will choose.

Hey Horgan, but this lady in her lane again.

#480 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

I was not aware that First Nations in Canada are governed by a separate set of laws. What is Helps referring to when she says there are two sets of laws at play in the chamber?
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic and Cassidy like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users