• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#521 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:55 AM

we already have that issue:

Maquinna is notable also for having kept European slaves on a number of occasions. The most detailed account is told in the writings of John R. Jewitt, one of two slaves kept for several years after the crew of the ship Boston was massacred by Maquinna and his men.

https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/Maquinna

there’s a beautiful little street at the foot of foul bay named for him.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2019 - 01:56 AM.

#522 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:58 AM

also a BC park a volcano and two public schools.

now on to slave owner wikinninish:

The Narrative also describes an earlier, less fortunate, group of European slaves who were eventually sentenced to death by Maquinna after they attempted to escape to the lands of the Tla-o-qui-aht (Clayoquot) whose chief was Maquinna's rival, Wickaninnish. The one slave who had not tried to escape was eventually sold to Chief Wickaninnish and reportedly died shortly after hearing of the taking of the Boston.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2019 - 02:01 AM.

#523 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:05 AM

here is more on the native attack on the ship boston:

http://www.daveleblanc.ca/boston.htm

#524 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:47 AM

Why does a British Columbian have to travel across the continent, to the United States, to see exhibits that bring out the rather gritty side of traditional aboriginal culture in the Pacific Northwest?

Canadian museum exhibitions about aboriginal history can be moving, beautiful and profound.

But my visit to the National Museum of the American Indian, an arm of the Smithsonian Institute, which I was recently reminded of as I checked out the Smithsonian’s extensive website, revealed to me that Canadians still tend to take a politically correct approach to aboriginal issues, spirituality and history.

The Smithsonian exhibition, however, seemed to want to tell the whole truth about the complexities of aboriginal life on the West Coast.

For instance, until I went to the “American Indian” wing of the famed Washington museum I had never seen a Pacific Northwest aboriginal “slave killer” club (example left).

I had never seen a West Coast “cannibal bowl.”

I had never read a museum description of how B.C. tribes raided other tribes.

I had never seen the kinds of aboriginal shields, axes, helmets or neck protectors used in inter-tribal wars along the B.C. coast.

There is nothing inherently diabolical about this largely ignored part of aboriginal history in B.C., since white and other immigrants to Canada have also been extensively engaged in war. So it’s a bit disappointing that our museums are not willing to simply reflect the whole truth about the richness of aboriginal history. 

Is this something we could learn from our American cousins? Do readers have examples of other good museums exploring the entire range of Canadian aboriginal life?

https://vancouversun...riginal-culture

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2019 - 03:50 AM.

• tedward and newbie_01 like this

#525 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

I think you can attribute that to all history being white washed. It’s a problem across the board. We also don’t talk about the forced sterilization act much either and that was law in Alberta until 1972!
  • rjag likes this

#526 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:44 AM

I think you can attribute that to all history being white washed. It’s a problem across the board. We also don’t talk about the forced sterilization act much either and that was law in Alberta until 1972!

I mentioned that earlier. Unfortunately the disabled are often unable to advocate for themselves as well as FN or other special interest groups.

#527 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

Yup and funny how the sjw's are so quick to jump on historical issues like SJA and Rhodes yet conveniently ignore Nellie McClung and Tommy Douglas on the subject of eugenics and forced sterilization https://www.theglobe...article1241485/

I wonder why?

#528 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:48 AM

Except we tear down statues and remove plaques of white historical figures all the time. Why aren't we re-naming wickaninnish beach and maquinna park when we now know they were brutal slavers of other tribes and races?

#529 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

Except we tear down statues and remove plaques of white historical figures all the time. Why aren't we re-naming wickaninnish beach and maquinna park when we now know they were brutal slavers of other tribes and races?

because SJW's and all their lefty friends give indigenous slavers/cannibals/rapers of colonial women a hall pass...

#530 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

You miss the point. First Nations were imperfect. Humanity is imperfect. Their history should also be presented as is. Whitewashing history in general is dangerous. We shouldn’t hide our past. Our slaves were the Chinese. But we don’t really accept or talk about that either. Maybe we should name a public square after Pig Iron Jack to bring awareness to our local slaver history! Victoria was pretty much Deadwood! Swearengen!
  • rjag and Midnightly like this

#531 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:13 AM

You miss the point. First Nations were imperfect. Humanity is imperfect. Their history should also be presented as is. Whitewashing history in general is dangerous. We shouldn’t hide our past. Our slaves were the Chinese. But we don’t really accept or talk about that either. Maybe we should name a public square after Pig Iron Jack to bring awareness to our local slaver history! Victoria was pretty much Deadwood! Swearengen!

I totally agree, I'm just making a point about the hypocrisy of taking down John A MacDonald but not maquinna

#532 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

I totally agree, I'm just making a point about the hypocrisy of taking down John A MacDonald but not maquinna

I get that. But I am someone who understands the left having gone through university, been a vegetarian, I have a mostly left leaning community around me. They are just misguided. Maybe most everyone is. They think they are doing good so there is need to hate them as individuals. Also no need to project hate the First Nations either. We don't know where they were at. Maybe they had abolished slavery? Maybe they had learned from their past? Who knows. I certainly don't. There is evidence that they might have. See https://en.wikipedia...at_Law_of_Peace but again, there hasn't really been much effort to try and document their history has there? I mean they removed all those newspaper clippings and letters from the walls of the museum about ten years ago. That was a big whitewash there! I have a History book from the 40's and back then they were "Indians" (oops wrong continent) and they were pretty much described as lowlife's. Here in lies the Challenge. How do you fight this PC crap while being compassionate? This is what makes it so hard and divisive. We need to be able to debate and discuss without being pitted against each other. 

• newbie_01 likes this

#533 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:46 AM

The whole thing with the statue, I think, speaks to a larger concern about the current crew's style of governance. Rather than working to build consensus/support for their ideas, they take a combative, non-inclusive approach that only serves to alienate a large portion of the electorate and doesn't achieve anything positive. This may seem appropriate when your on the UVic student council; but the whole "let's make them feel uncomfortable"approach is not a good way to run a city. Again, they have some ideas that are good (eg, let's build a bike network) but the deliberately divisive approach isn't getting us anywhere.

Edited by rmpeers, 26 June 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#534 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

The whole thing with the statue, I think, speaks to a larger concern about the current crew's style of governance. Rather than working to build consensus/support for their ideas, they take a combative, non-inclusive approach that only serves to alienate a large portion of the electorate and doesn't achieve anything positive. This may seem appropriate when your on the UVic student council; but the whole "let's make them feel uncomfortable"approach is not a good way to run a city. Again, they have some ideas that are good (eg, let's build a bike network) but the deliberately divisive approach isn't getting us anywhere.

Exactly. There is no discussion, THEY know what is best for us. 

#535 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

Wait, I missed something.  How did Chief Maquinna pursue an organized institutional policy of genocide?

• tedward likes this

#536 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:11 AM

he didn’t. but he ambushed and killed 22 of 25 on a boat after being friendly with them. stole the boat and enslaved the survivors.

he was also a ruthless dictator that did not permit free elections. he was not in favour of equal rights for women. he supported children as young as 11 having sex with elders. he was against gay rights and never marched in a single gay parade. he rejected installation of smart meters though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2019 - 09:17 AM.

• rjag likes this

#537 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

Not only is it not getting us anywhere, it is taking us backwards. No plan for Crysal pool, the firehall project is stalled and Topaz park is in its constant state of planning. All projects that were underway before the current gang decided to interject their personal beliefs instead of letting staff do their jobs.

Edited by spanky123, 26 June 2019 - 09:16 AM.

#538 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

he didn’t. but he ambushed and killed 22 of 25 on a boat after being friendly with them. stole the boat and enslaved the survivors.

Sure he did, if you allow me to spend 30 minutes redefining the nuances of what the word means then I am sure that I can frame it the right way.

#539 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:00 PM

i know that George Jay school is in the early talks (mostly PAC spear heading it) of considering changing the name of the school due to George Jay himself promoting segregation in the school and preventing Chinese children from attending because he felt they were only attending the school so they could get back the chinese head tax ($500) after attending school for a year..

#540 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:03 PM

i will say i took this info from a friend's facebook page who has done a fair bit of research on the man and his connection with the school, she also added pics of news clipping she had found

"George Jay Jr. was born in Norwich, England and came to Canada with his family about 1866. For many years he was a partner of John Stuart Yates, as Yates and Jay. George became a police court magistrate and later a judge for the BC government.

In 1907 he had helped develop a policy with the Victoria School Board that segregated Chinese-Canadians from their white peers. This policy came out of his belief that older Chinese students were only attending school so they could get a refund on their $500 head tax(if they went to school for a year, they could get a refund on their head tax). He was quoted in the Victoria Daily Times as saying "no Chinese be admitted to the school unless they know English sufficient to make them amenable to ordinary discipline". At a High School Parent Teachers Association' meeting he reiterated that the school's policy had come about when they discovered that racialized Chinese students in the primary and intermediate grades of elementary school caused a certain amount of retardation in the progress of their classmates. In contrast to his findings, teachers and students of the time describe their Chinese students as "quiet, respectful and studious".

In 1908 he became chairman of Victoria School Board, while working as a juvenile court judge for the City of Victoria. In 1909 the school at 1118 Princess was named for him, 2 years after his policy was implemented.

After years of segregation, in September 1922 Chinese students protested and went on strike refusing to attend until the law was changed. In December of 1922, George Jay was re-elected as Chairman of the Victoria School Board.

In 1922–23, fewer than six Chinese students attended public schools in Victoria, compared to 216 the previous year. Children did not return to their former schools until the fall of 1923 after an agreement had been made between the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association and the Victoria School Board.

Complete integration at all levels from primary to high school did not occur until after the Second World War in 1945."

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users