[Central Saanich] Jesken Town Centre (Costco) | Cancelled

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#221 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:12 AM

name one of those million. i already said if the fire alarm is going you get an immediate exit. so really only some type of assault is the only thing. and in daytime open hours assaults would be very rare inside a store.

#222 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

It seems that an Active Shooter Alarm™ should be as standard as a fire alarm.  I mean, which is actually more common these days?  Combined with those systems that recognize the sound of gunshots and the exit delay would be bypassed.

#223 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

It seems that an Active Shooter Alarm™ should be as standard as a fire alarm.  I mean, which is actually more common these days?  Combined with those systems that recognize the sound of gunshots and the exit delay would be bypassed.

Shouldn't be hard to simulate a gunshot...

#224 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

Shouldn't be hard to simulate a gunshot...

Sorry folks!  That's my ringtone...

• lanforod likes this

#225 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:05 AM

name one of those million. i already said if the fire alarm is going you get an immediate exit. so really only some type of assault is the only thing. and in daytime open hours assaults would be very rare inside a store.

But a fire alarm wasn’t going, and people were panicking because the door wouldn’t open. Panic and crowds leads to injury and/or death. There was a rush for the exits at this Costco and the doors wouldn’t open. I can’t even imagine the terror those people must have felt for that 10 seconds.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#226 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:17 AM

well I guess you could require all retailers to have more doors. what’s the difference between a door that won’t open for 10 seconds and a door that’s 85 feet away? seems to me it’s about the same. the situation is ultra rare.

#227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

I know we're going in circles here, but the use of an emergency exit is ultra rare as well. They're literally there for those ultra rare occasions. But here the hoard just crashed into a door that wouldn't open, endangering people and causing some harm.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#228 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:59 PM

Just hide in the freezer case, you'll be fine.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#229 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:02 PM

If someone is going to shot you, your pretty much shot... emergency exits are not all that important when a true active shooter is going on.

Guess what, if that is the case, exits aren't going to be what I head for, that's what they anticipate.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#230 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:33 PM

Building code analysis dictates the requirements for exits based on occupancy, etc, but a delay on a panic bar emergency exit? That’s nuts. Fire dept sure wouldn’t like that here!

Matt.

#231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:06 AM

Building code analysis dictates the requirements for exits based on occupancy, etc, but a delay on a panic bar emergency exit? That’s nuts. Fire dept sure wouldn’t like that here!

Matt.

we already covered that.  if there is a fire there is no delay.   canadian building code allows for up to a 15 second delay.

• a force of not more than 90 N applied to the primary door opening hardware initiates an irreversible process that will release the locking device within 15 s and not relock until the door has been opened;
    • except as permitted in c., upon release, the locking device must be reset by the actuation of a manually operated switch accessible only to authorized personnel;
    • a legible sign is permanently mounted on the door to indicate that the locking device will release within 15 s of applying pressure to the door opening hardware;
    • the total delay in egress time by electromagnetic locks from any point within the floor area to an exterior open space is not more than 15 s;

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 June 2019 - 03:12 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:54 AM

So it’s 15 seconds now? Good grief.

Know it all.

#233 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:58 AM

I think you are stressing about a nothingburger. if 15 seconds was often the difference between life and death we’d have no large buildings. tall or wide.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 June 2019 - 05:59 AM.

#234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:20 AM

This would explain why so many people are killed at exits during active shooter situations.

They literally can’t get out.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#235 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

Just shoot the lock.  Hollywood taught me that all locking mechanism fail open.

• jonny likes this

#236 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

This would explain why so many people are killed at exits during active shooter situations.

They literally can’t get out.

There's also the tactic of activating the fire alarm knowing that it will prompt people to come into the open and head for an exit. Fire alarms in schools create utter panic as you can't be sure if it's a real emergency or an active shooter.

#237 Phoenix88

Phoenix88
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:53 PM

I noticed they completely cleared the site recently - anyone know what is happening? It has been 2-3 yrs with no activity.

#238 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 05:09 AM

Aquillini was the last firm they had partnered with for the project, at least publicly.

Are you able to roughly identify where the lands have been cleared?

Tsawout.jpg

Know it all.

#239 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

^I saw it earlier this week too. I think it's actually the parcel above A, but column 1. 

They've leveled it as well - my guess is they are planning to build more housing. They've added quite a few new units in that reserve within the last few years. Lots of townhouse-style units being built, it might just be a new phase of that.

#240 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:22 AM

Ah, ok that makes sense.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users