[Central Saanich] Jesken Town Centre (Costco) | Cancelled

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#21 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

The value of the property taxes Tsawout will collect is in the order of $4,000,000 to $6,000,000. They need this money to be able to actually offer local government services to people living on the reserve - 1709 people live there, but only 500 are members of the band.

The Federal government provides almost no funding for local government services. It provides no money at all for people that are not Tsawout members.

About half the annual finding Tsawout receives from the Federal government goes to pay for welfare costs of band members and healthcare costs - BC will not pay for welfare or healthcare costs of people living on reserve.

Even with this development, the amount of revenue Tsawout will collect is just into the range of what it takes to provide local government services.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Would be nice if the proposal does end up with an overpass that replaces there Island View light.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Would be nice if the proposal does end up with an overpass that replaces there Island View light.

I see no reason why they could not get rid of Island View and Mount Newton X cross road lights with one strategic interchange at the south end of the reserve

#24 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I see no reason why they could not get rid of Island View and Mount Newton X cross road lights with one strategic interchange at the south end of the reserve

@Bernard - Here are some of the objections I am hearing to this idea of closing Island View intersection:
  • An overpass at Tsawout would not address the 10+ year issue of a need for safe resident/commercial egres from the highway at both Tanner Ridge and Keating;
  • A great deal of farm and local traffic currently use that intersection to cross the highway, or get on the highway from the west side to head north;
  • The current northbound Truck Route off Keating to the highway is currently an issue due to the route it is taking past Keating Elementary; closing the intersection at Island View does not address this issue and it increases the distance of that Truck Route before the trucks can get on to the highway.
Carl

Carl I. Jensen
Central Saanich Councillor

Twitter - @carloncouncil
E - carl.jensen@csaanich.ca
T - 250.858.6532
Facebook - http://facebook.com/carlforcouncil

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

A south end of the reserve interchange would remove all the trees and virtually spoil the setting for The Saanich Historical Artifacts Society.

I personally don't think another Costco in the area is needed, but if they get into a gas price war with the existing Costco, well maybe...

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

Since the stores are essentially a fait accompli why not get the best everyone. Also I still want a Keating crossing.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

A south end of the reserve interchange would remove all the trees and virtually spoil the setting for The Saanich Historical Artifacts Society.

@Bingo - I believe the trees just north of the Artifacts Society would be removed for the development as it appears to be utilizing the land north of Jesken Rd which I believe runs along the north end of the Artifacts Society property.

Here is a link to the presentation shown at CS council which also has a map of the proposed location:

http://tsawout.com/i...re-presentation

Carl

Carl I. Jensen
Central Saanich Councillor

Twitter - @carloncouncil
E - carl.jensen@csaanich.ca
T - 250.858.6532
Facebook - http://facebook.com/carlforcouncil

#28 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Thanks for posting Carl!

Here are the plans from that presentation.

Note the new overpass here - - - ^ ^ ^

Current state of the site - http://maps.google.c...lumbia&t=h&z=16

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

Birds eye view:

http://binged.it/zdr10z

This is the first I've heard of it and I'm not really liking it so far.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#30 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

We should support all development no matter how regressive and horrible they are. :rolleyes:

Seriously. What a blight this would be.

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

I am not sure if this development will be a blight or not. It seems very much like Millstream Village Part Deux to me. It's obviously regressive in design, by which I mean entirely auto-centred, and would likely get a LEED score of "lead". My greatest concern is that with all the empty retail and office space in the region (i.e. Uptown) is there really a need for this centre?

#32 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:50 AM

Awesome, look at all that land turned into surface parking!!

*vomit*

#33 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

I don't have a problem with it. This is the right location for a power center of this style.

Anything more 'dense' or town-center feeling will decentralize the region further. I want density/urban form in downtown Victoria. In the suburbs, I want parking spaces and big box stores.

#34 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'm shocked that big box stores would not focus on foot traffic and bike traffic especially in this area. The goose is right there what's the problem here people? Families win again :(

#35 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I don't have a problem with it. This is the right location for a power center of this style.

Anything more 'dense' or town-center feeling will decentralize the region further. I want density/urban form in downtown Victoria. In the suburbs, I want parking spaces and big box stores.

Great idea. Just let me get my toll booth ready so you can pay for your choices, as I sure don't want to.

#36 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Great idea. Just let me get my toll booth ready so you can pay for your choices, as I sure don't want to.

While you're at it, feel free to set up the toll boothes along the western edge of the Tweed Curtain. Because Oak Bay residents certainly would not stand for being accused of free-riding on Victoria's coat tails.

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think Keating Crossroad would be a better location for the community. It could use a shot in the arm.

#38 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

There is an overpass over the highway at the bottom right corner of the development, giving access to the south bound lane of the highway. It doesn't look like a substitute for the Island View or Mt. Newton intersections for general use though.

#39 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

I think Keating Crossroad would be a better location for the community. It could use a shot in the arm.

I agree, but when you look at the scale of the project it appears to be about 50% of Keating and Keating cant expand because of the containment boundaries / ALR etc.

Well I guess this comes as the result of Central Saanich being overwhelmed by nimby's and theres nothing they can do, they reap what they sow....going to buy a big bag of popcorn and pull up the easy chair, this is going to be fun to watch!!!

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Agreed, but Central Saanich has all but forced out business from that area for years now.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users