US attacks Syrian (Assad government) air base

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

This is going to sound funny, but I hope Trump checked with Russia first.

http://www.cnn.com/2...tary/index.html

• sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,099 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

BAZINGA!
  • VicHockeyFan and AllseeingEye like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:11 PM

Also, if this is the start of WW3, nice to know you all.  I'm sorry about a few guys I have not yet met in person on this forum.  

• sebberry, Matt R., tedward and 1 other like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,099 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:15 PM

He has threatened North Korea if China doesn't step up. How long will the nukes take to get here? I can be downtown for drinks (what the hell, maybe even a little pot), in 15 minutes?
  • Matt R. likes this

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

It's going to be real hard for the Democrats to say "be careful, we do not want to upset Russia.".  And hard for them to say the gas attack did not deserve force.  To tell Assad that the US can take him out when it pleases them.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

He has threatened North Korea if China doesn't step up. How long will the nukes take to get here? I can be downtown for drinks (what the hell, maybe even a little pot), in 15 minutes?

Grab NParker (he's got a pot store ID card, no doubt), hit the pot shop, and be here by 9.   :banana:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:24 PM

The US warned Russia--routine courtesy--they sure wouldn't want one of their planes accidentally taken out by a Tomahawk barrage. Question is, did the Russkies then tip off Assad? Even if they missed most of his jets they can still mess up his runways and other facilities.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

How long will the nukes take to get here? 

Nothing on FlightAware yet.

#9 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,643 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

The US warned Russia--routine courtesy--they sure wouldn't want one of their planes accidentally taken out by a Tomahawk barrage. Question is, did the Russkies then tip off Assad? Even if they missed most of his jets they can still mess up his runways and other facilities.

You don't need to take out the actual aircraft; unless they are V/TOL capable "cratering" the runways is more than sufficient. All you can do with a turbofan jet engine with no usable runway is kick in the afterburner and have a really fast wienie roast....

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

^ I suppose you can inflict some pain though by taking out a few $25M planes.

I'm happy with the restrained show of force here.  The West was shocked at the gas attacks, but nobody was going to do anything.  Obama never made good on the Red Line thing, and now Trump has.

#11 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,099 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

So some Russians are said to have been at one of the strike locations. Why is my cynical said thinking Trump got a call from Putin saying "strike here!" "I won't miss a few Russians, this will make you look strong on Syria, and take care of that nasty investigation also!"

Edited by sdwright.vic, 06 April 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#12 RFS

RFS
  • 2,746 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:13 PM

in my very pro Trump opinion this is Trumps first mistake. In his campaign and even long before he always said "don't get involved in Syria, keep out of the mess, etc etc" and he should have stuck to that. I'm sure Assad does some nasty stuff, but so do many leaders and nations all over the world, the US doesn't need to police it. I am glad it was restrained but would have preferred if he had not got involved
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

in my very pro Trump opinion this is Trumps first mistake. In his campaign and even long before he always said "don't get involved in Syria, keep out of the mess, etc etc" and he should have stuck to that. I'm sure Assad does some nasty stuff, but so do many leaders and nations all over the world, the US doesn't need to police it. I am glad it was restrained but would have preferred if he had not got involved

It's an attack on a military base and is not displacing civilians, like all the crap Obama did (Syria, Libya*) etc.

And it sends a message.  I think I'm OK with it.

*   http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-36013703

US President Barack Obama has said failing to prepare for the aftermath of the ousting of Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi was the worst mistake of his presidency.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Until this week, Trump has said very little to suggest his course of action. Indeed, a key facet of his military doctrine has been a refusal to telegraph what he's going to do.

"I watched Mosul, where the past administration was saying, we will be attacking in four months. And I said, why are they doing that?" Trump said Wednesday.  "I’m not saying I’m doing anything one way or the other, but I’m certainly not going to be telling you."

Trump continued to play his cards close to his vest most of the day Thursday. "I don’t want to say what I’m going to be doing with respect to Syria," he told reporters on board Air Force One, as he flew to his Mar-a-Lago retreat to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping. As for Assad, he said only, "Something should happen."

https://www.usatoday...said/100147916/

#15 godlurking

godlurking
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

There is a good chance that Assad didn't make a chemical weapons assault, at least not on purpose.

What did he have to gain?  If he did he has the world on his ass just to take out a few civilians - not a smart move. He could have used regular bombs for that as per usual and nobody would notice.    Here are some possibilities, given that some kind of munitions were dropped by Syrian planes.

- A regular munitions delivery accidentally blows up a chemical stockpile.

- ISIS purposely sets one off in the vicinity (gets the heat off them and every one that is fighting them may start fighting each other)

-Someone else on the ground sets one off to make Assad look bad ( his uncle comes to mind)

-It is all choreographed by USA and Russia possible outcome installing agreed to new leader(big stretch)

-Anyway it just smells strange to me

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

^ what about this though.  Chemicals were used (all agreed, right?) and somebody will pay.  For now, it's a concrete airfield that's paying.  With about $40-60M in cruise missiles, no small change.  Next mother-f that does this, and they home in closer.  It's a means to that deterrent end, no matter how it happened (above scenarios ^), right?

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,457 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:54 PM

I agree with VHF. This was a message, a show of force to China, N Korea and Russia.

The fact that Trump moved on this as quickly as he did has every leader of every nation conceding that a new America is in the ring.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

Still, the assault risks plunging America into the middle of Syria’s conflict, complicating the safety of the hundreds of U.S. forces fighting a separate campaign against the Islamic State group in the north of the country. If Assad’s military persists in further gas attacks, the Trump administration might logically pursue increased retaliation.

http://news.national...-weapons-attack

Oh, I think the US ended Assad's gas attacks for a while now.

#19 godlurking

godlurking
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

Agreed the Donald is using this as a note to world "there's a new sheriff".  Just saying that Assad

had much of the world on his side fighting ISIS but dropping chemical weapons was shooting himself in the foot when a couple of barrel bombs would be just as effective at killing people.

#20 Redd42

Redd42
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:02 PM

Just now I heard what I'm sure is those US navy jets. Don't think I've ever heard them at night before. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users