And about 60 Airbnbs.[/size]

shhhh!
  • rjag likes this

#62 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

shhhh!

Fine.. but someday I will come to ask a favor of you.

#63 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

Fine.. but someday I will come to ask a favor of you.[/size]

Like renting my bsmt suite? Shhhh...
  • todd likes this

#64 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

Posted: Jan 31, 2017 

Oak Bay may legalize its estimated 800 secondary suites

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...uites-1.3960946

#65 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

Seven years ago some folks were saying Victoria should get its infrastructure in order before criticizing Oak Bay council for debating the Tinto Street rocks. Have a look-see: http://vibrantvictor...levard-oak-bay/
Of course, the issue of Oak Bay's crumbling infrastructure is no surprise. We've known for many years that there was a real mess over there but nobody wanted to touch it.

The Tinto rocks are a proud part of Oak Bay heritage. People overcoming obstacles.
  • VicHockeyFan and johnk like this

#66 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

If you're rich enough they can sometimes be skirted. David Black's late wife figured out if she grew and sold a few plants she could get Riffington classed as a farm. Reduced the Blacks' tax bill by about 90% which means everyone else had to pay more to make up the shortfall.

Did he get away with that in the long term?

One upshot of Mrs. Black's "farm" is that the threshold for farm status was raised - specifically for small lots.  If you have under 2 acres you have to make $10,000 in farm revenue.  If you have 2-10 acres you only need to make $2500 in farm revenue.

A 2 acre or smaller lot could easily make 10,000 but you'd have to work at it. It would be more than selling a few daffodils, and it would probably be incompatible with having a perfectly manicured showpiece property, hence enough deterrent for most.

https://www.bcassess...-classification

Edited by nerka, 10 April 2017 - 03:23 PM.

#67 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:14 PM

I think that's what libraries are becoming, community ever centres. Borrowing of collections is flat or down.

I think circulation numbers are up in the Victoria system.

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

Incorrect.  Between 1993 and 2003 the population increased 34% but borrowing only increased 13%

//oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://gvpl.ca/asse...tegicReport.pdf

Most people think the only good reason left for libraries is kids.  And that's lees than 40% of the people.  Libraries are super low on peoples must-have radar.

screenshot-oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm-2017-04-10-19-18-05.png

I declare libraries mostly useless and unused by the vast majority of the population (that has to pay for them).  Like fire halls.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Fourteen-year-old data dinosaurs were barely extinct.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

Fourteen-year-old data dinosaurs were barely extinct.

You think library book usage has gone up over the last 14 years for some reason?  Do we have less access online?

When I read GVPLs reports, I get ill.  They have no real stats that even remotely show increased usage of stored books.  Just lot of feel-good platitudes to attempt to justify their existence.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#71 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:40 PM

You think library book usage has gone up over the last 14 years for some reason?  Do we have less access online?

No, sir. I would bet the Oak Bay in person library gets a lot of traffic by comparison to other locations.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

No, sir. I would bet the Oak Bay in person library gets a lot of traffic by comparison to other locations.

Untrue.  An aging population does not say it's true.  My mom e-mails every day, at 83 year old.

• todd likes this

#73 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

Untrue.  An aging population does not say it's true.  My mom e-mails every day, at 83 year old.

My father emails everyday around same age. He goes to the library once a week, uses the online hold system. I don't believe most oak bay residents would pay for a magazine subscription.

#74 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:26 PM

Incorrect.  Between 1993 and 2003 the population increased 34% but borrowing only increased 13%

Most people think the only good reason left for libraries is kids.  And that's lees than 40% of the people.  Libraries are super low on peoples must-have radar.

screenshot-oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm-2017-04-10-19-18-05.png

I declare libraries mostly useless and unused by the vast majority of the population (that has to pay for them).  Like fire halls.

Sort of correct still an increase.

#75 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hehe, the OB library is very busy, its more than books, but they do a solid volume, Nelly McLung is very busy as well with quite a varied age group attending

#76 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

Most people think the only good reason left for libraries is kids.
 And that's lees than 40% of the people.  Libraries are super low on
peoples must-have radar.

attachicon.gifscreenshot-
oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm-2017-04-10-19-18-05.png

Bloody fire halls! Used once or twice every month, expensive equipment sitting around, people being paid 24/7/365 to hang out. Ridiculous! Can't they just rent trucks when needed and call people in if a fire breaks out?
We need more effective use of our tax $$$.
(sarcasm font)
  • Nparker and todd like this

#77 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

^ good idea.  Maybe just have one Mars waterbomber for all of Greater Victoria.  

• rjag, johnk and todd like this

#78 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:18 AM

Have to admit, never really used the library system until recently since I now have young kids.  Awesome for kids books and DVDs.  And once I realized I could borrow GoT DVD's, well a new user I am.

So +1 in the 40-49 age category.

But like many, justifying the cost to maintain a library system in the future will only get more challenging in my opinion.

• rjag likes this

#79 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

Bloody fire halls! Used once or twice every month, expensive equipment sitting around, people being paid 24/7/365 to hang out. Ridiculous! Can't they just rent trucks when needed and call people in if a fire breaks out?
(sarcasm font)

Paper clip.

#80 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

(sarcasm font)

I should specify when I say spoiled, fire department got a top-notch rating on my last Oak Bay survey better than anyone else. Used them once for a medical call recently excellent service, and got the brush fire next door out real fast.

Edited by todd, 11 April 2017 - 12:16 PM.

• johnk likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users