Photo

Oak Bay's crumbling infrastructure

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#101 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

The province via one of its agencies makes up the shortfall.

Great, so I get to pay for those who choose not to pay their taxes?

• rjag likes this

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

They pay them eventually.
  • todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

They pay them eventually.

Suppose you could put your children, grandchildren maybe even great-grandchildren on the title just before you start the deferring?

Edited by todd, 28 November 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

The deferment will be registered as a charge on title, no matter who owns it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

The deferment will be registered as a charge on title, no matter who owns it.

So in theory you could keep deferring for 100+ years?

Edited by todd, 28 November 2017 - 11:09 PM.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:33 AM

Once the senior who is on title and applying for the tax break passes, their child or benefactor will no longer be able to apply for the tax break unless they themselves live in the home and are a senior.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

I think VHF misses my point here. These are costs that residents should have been paying all along.

As a resident and taxpayer in OB, I expect my council to look after the infrastructure that current and prior residents/taxpayers have paid for over the years. This is not new news and any Councillor that acts surprised should resign. These warnings about infrastructure have been going on for the last 15-20 years, that a policy of funding 1% of infrastructure should be built into every budget to build reserves to act when needed. 

This should be common standard practice in every Muni, and should be sacrosanct. Deferring these costs down to future generations is irresponsible.

For a small Muni like OB with very little in the way of a business base and no undeveloped land the ability to raise taxes can only happen by either increasing taxes or growing the tax base. With such a vocal contingency of Nimby's here fighting projects there is really only one route to go and thats to increase taxes. 

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

I think VHF misses my point here. These are costs that residents should have been paying all along.

As a resident and taxpayer in OB, I expect my council to look after the infrastructure that current and prior residents/taxpayers have paid for over the years. This is not new news and any Councillor that acts surprised should resign. These warnings about infrastructure have been going on for the last 15-20 years, that a policy of funding 1% of infrastructure should be built into every budget to build reserves to act when needed. 

This should be common standard practice in every Muni, and should be sacrosanct. Deferring these costs down to future generations is irresponsible.

For a small Muni like OB with very little in the way of a business base and no undeveloped land the ability to raise taxes can only happen by either increasing taxes or growing the tax base. With such a vocal contingency of Nimby's here fighting projects there is really only one route to go and thats to increase taxes. 

Fair enough, I do not think I missed your point though.

Absolutely these costs have been deferred too long but it's by the politicians that were voted in by taxpayers.

So they - the politicians and the voters - brought it on themselves.  And Oak Bay residents will now have to lift themselves out of it.  Or suffer some serious water main, sewer and storm drain issues here and there.

My point is that Oak Bay residents are in the very enviable position of having made lots of money just by appreciation on their homes over the last 5 years, so the vast majority of them can afford some higher taxes to get this stuff done.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 November 2017 - 08:56 AM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#109 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Fair enough, I do not think I missed your point though.

Absolutely these costs have been deferred too long but it's by the politicians that were voted in by taxpayers.

So they - the politicians and the voters - brought it on themselves.  And Oak Bay residents will now have to lift themselves out of it.  Or suffer some serious water main, sewer and storm drain issues here and there.

My point is that Oak Bay residents are in the very enviable position of having made lots of money just by appreciation on their homes over the last 5 years, so the vast majority of them can afford some higher taxes to get this stuff done.

Saanich, Victoria and Esquimalt are going to be faced with the same issues......its not unique to OB....so just jack everyones taxes up by an extra $1k as all their property values have increased so they can all afford it...... Problem solved. 

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:03 AM

^ Would you rather the money come out of your income taxes, or some other magic pot?  It seems very reasonable to me that property taxes pay for sewers, water mains, sidewalks, and storm drains.

I think you'll find Saanich is not so bad off, they have a very diverse range of infrastructure age.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 November 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#111 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

^ Would you rather the money come out of your income taxes, or some other magic pot?  It seems very reasonable to me that property taxes pay for sewers, water mains, sidewalks, and storm drains.

I think you'll find Saanich is not so bad off, they have a very diverse range of infrastructure age.

I have no problem paying my taxes, but again you miss my point, its the lack of action by prior councils and the irresponsible decisions to defer while continually increasing the taxes annually and there is nothing to show for it....taxes at this level should be paying for stable infrastructure....it should be a given....you are focusing on the extra money and being dismissive, I'm focusing on the lack of ability to manage that money to begin with

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:30 AM

I have no problem paying my taxes, but again you miss my point, its the lack of action by prior councils and the irresponsible decisions to defer while continually increasing the taxes annually and there is nothing to show for it....

Well, you Oak Bay residents voted them in. 

And as far as "nothing to show for it", you can read each and every annual report, see where all the money goes.   

It's right here > > https://www.oakbay.c...eport FINAL.pdf

In 2016 you paid 44 staffers (not including police) over $75,000.  And of those 44, you paid 32 of them over $100,000, and you paid 23 of those over $125,000, and you paid 8 of those over $150,000.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 November 2017 - 09:30 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#113 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:32 AM

And as far as "nothing to show for it", you can read each and every annual report, see where all the money goes.   

In 2016 you paid 44 staffers (not including police) over $75,000.  And of those 44, you paid 32 of them over $100,000, and you paid 23 of those over $125,000, and you paid 8 of those over $150,000.

Hehe, no argument from me....it begs the question, can small municipalities like OB survive with the specter of such debt burdens?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#114 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:45 AM

A mystery of how sewage is being dumped into the Gorge Waterway has finally been solved.  It's been determined that sewer lines from as many as 400 homes in Esquimalt could be draining into the Gorge - causing outbreaks of contamination in the waterway.

Oak Bay is going to have some of these issues, Saanich is going to have some of these issues. Anyone with old buildings is probably going to come across this."

#115 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:55 AM

Even if Oak Bay had zero staff (which it couldn't), the amount "saved" wouldn't even begin to cover one project.

#116 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Even if Oak Bay had zero staff (which it couldn't), the amount "saved" wouldn't even begin to cover one project.

Depends how long your bike lane is.

• Coreyburger likes this

#117 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

How does that compare to other municipalities?

#118 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:03 PM

Interesting, went to OB today to pay for the mutt license and discover they are closed from Dec 22 to Jan 02....I wonder if this is a paid or unpaid holiday?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#119 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

Interesting, went to OB today to pay for the mutt license and discover they are closed from Dec 22 to Jan 02....I wonder if this is a paid or unpaid holiday?

If bicycles don't need a license then I don't think mutts should need one, especially in Oak Bay where all mutts are civilized. 

• rjag and todd like this

#120 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

in Oak Bay where all mutts are civilized. 

That just means that they don't poop on cricket-pitch/bowling green mowed lawns - if you're so uncouth as to use a rotary mower, then it's fair game :)

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and Bingo like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users