BUILT
919-923 Caledonia Avenue
Use: rental
Address: 921 Caledonia Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
919-923 Caledonia Avenue is a proposal for a four-storey rental complex in the City of Victoria's North Park n... (view full profile)
Learn more about 919-923 Caledonia Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

[North Park] | 919-923 Caledonia Avenue | Rentals | 4-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Land Use Committee (LUC) — Pam • The LUC earlier had met with a developer about the two neighbouring properties on 900 block Caledonia Ave., next to Sands parking lot. The LUC gave negative feedback on this proposal and the City also did not support the proposal. • The developer has come back to LUC with a revised plan. The new plan is for 4- storey rental units, with retention of the heritage house frontage and new construction at the back. • Pam and Chris met with the developer and architect, and believe this proposal is much improved. Next steps TBD

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-04-15-16-07-18.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

Interesting. This is literally in my backyard. I will have to protest.  ;) 

Seriously though, there is no good reason to retain those "heritage" houses. They are anything but unique. What sort of skinny-ass project will be built behind them?

900.JPG

It will be have to be built right on the property line to be even remotely viable. Some of my neighbours will NOT be pleased.

Edit: Ditch those run-of-the mill Victorian shacks and build ten, 3-level townhouses here, like the ones across Caledonia

TH.JPG

Edited by Nparker, 15 April 2017 - 04:01 PM.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

I received a notice about this proposal in the mail today. There will be a preliminary community meeting on July 5, 2017 at North Park Manor. I can't recall the exact time, but I will try and update this post later with specific details. The developer is Praxis Architects, but there doesn't appear to be any specifics on their website regarding this project.

#4 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

Hmm. They built the Wave.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

The Wave was developed by Austin Hamilton and designed by de Hoog Kierulf, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

The Wave was developed by Austin Hamilton- I'm not sure who the architects were...

#7 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Yup, that's correct

Edited by Jackerbie, 27 June 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#8 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

No, Praxis did The Wave, not DeHoog/Kierulf.

#9 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:54 PM

I received a notice about this proposal in the mail today. There will be a preliminary community meeting on July 5, 2017 at North Park Manor. I can't recall the exact time, but I will try and update this post later with specific details. The developer is Praxis Architects, but there doesn't appear to be any specifics on their website regarding this project.

Are you sure? Sometimes the architect is just the "applicant", not the developer. 

Edited by Mixed365, 27 June 2017 - 02:54 PM.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#10 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

No, Praxis did The Wave, not DeHoog/Kierulf.

Based on some superficial digging, Austin Hamilton was the developer, and Praxis stepped in to do the Development Permit for the mural. I think. Please correct me if that's fake news.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

Are you sure? Sometimes the architect is just the "applicant", not the developer. 

Praxis is the name on the letter I received today.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

...Praxis stepped in to do the Development Permit for the mural. I think. Please correct me if that's fake news.

Why anyone would want to take credit for that dreadful mural on the Wave is beyond me. Badly designed and apparently even more poorly executed.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

A developer is a rich guy that hires an architect to design a building for him. Either can be an applicant, or marketer or other third party can be the applicant on behalf of the developer. I doubt Praxis is the developer, they are a small firm, basically just Bob and a landscape architect so the developer is someone else.

I have a vague and fuzzy memory that Praxis designed The Wave but DHK may have been involved at the very end somehow. The Wave is definitely not DHK's style.

#14 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

If those shacks are considered "heritage" things are much worse than I thought.
  • Nparker likes this

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

...I have a vague and fuzzy memory that Praxis designed The Wave but DHK may have been involved at the very end somehow...

For what it's worth Praxis includes a photo of The Wave on its website

the wave.JPG

(lower right corner for those who don't recognize it)

• Jackerbie likes this

#16 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

For what it's worth Praxis includes a photo of The Wave on its website

(lower right corner for those who don't recognize it)

Thanks for pointing that out, it's impossible to recognize without the green tarp!

• Nparker likes this

#17 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

A developer is a rich guy that hires an architect to design a building for him. Either can be an applicant, or marketer or other third party can be the applicant on behalf of the developer. I doubt Praxis is the developer, they are a small firm, basically just Bob and a landscape architect so the developer is someone else.

I have a vague and fuzzy memory that Praxis designed The Wave but DHK may have been involved at the very end somehow. The Wave is definitely not DHK's style.

I found the Development Permit, and it was issued to DHK [x]. Of course, that does not mean they were the architect, just the applicant.

Edited by Jackerbie, 27 June 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

Then DHK merely grabbed the ball at the one yard line and carried it in. They've done that for a couple of projects--taken another firm's design and walked it through City Hall. I think it happens when there's been a falling out between the developer and the original architect. Remember that's what happened to poor Nick Bawlf, he got tarnished by being the last guy holding the hot potato known as "The Wing" even though he didn't design the thing.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

Nick Bawlf, aka Pam Madoff's late partner.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:54 PM

Then DHK merely grabbed the ball at the one yard line and carried it in. They've done that for a couple of projects--taken another firm's design and walked it through City Hall. I think it happens when there's been a falling out between the developer and the original architect. Remember that's what happened to poor Nick Bawlf, he got tarnished by being the last guy holding the hot potato known as "The Wing" even though he didn't design the thing.

Which one is the Wing?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users