APPROVED
937 View Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 937 View Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 23
937 View Street is a proposal to build a 23-storey rental tower along the 900-block of View Street in the City... (view full profile)
Learn more about 937 View Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 937 View Street | Rentals | 23-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#81 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 03:19 PM

I don't understand how can it be viable to build shorter and less dense projects on more desirable sites, but not on this one

Viable? Probably. But I wouldn't would want to live in a 6 storey wood frame building with View Towers looming over me.

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 04:07 PM

So why not build a slim tower like Legato then? 20 stories of Legato would be great there, especially after the London Drugs redevelopment is done. Or go the other direction and do something shorter like the Mondrian.

I've never understood how a particular style of project ends up on a particular property. Didn't Corazon or 989 Johnson demonstrate that you don't need to build what people expect you to build?

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 04:18 PM

I always forget, a flashy condo tower was already proposed for this site back in the day...

Back in 2009 somebody made an observation about how long it can take for a development proposal to become a finished building:

That's the thing we have to keep in mind. The proposals of today are the buildings of five years from now.

...or the buildings of 11+ years from now, as the case may be.

The building on the left was rejected in 2008-09. The building on the right may get approved in 2020-21:

937_View_Street_renderings.jpg

Edited by aastra, 27 August 2020 - 01:07 PM.

#84 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 07:43 PM

It's probably just the rendering, but I get a mid-20th century NYC vibe from this latest proposal.

That vibe is from the Projects. Not much to emulate there.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 08:46 PM

Yeah it's not a projects vibe that I get from it. View Towers on the other hand...Dy-no-mite!

#86 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 09:04 PM

It reminds me of the Pacifica in Nanaimo

#87 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

Back in those olden times, the DRA floated the suggestion of possibly making the tower close to the height of View Towers, the reason being that it would no longer make VT the most dominant building on the block and that this dynamic and attractive design would now dominate. That idea was quickly shot down by authorities.

Now we have a much less attractive apartment block making the same bold claim for height. If this is somehow approved I will slowly shake my head. Even at a lower height that old View/Fort proposal would have been a spectacular addition to the block. It's one of my top missed opportunity proposals.

• Mike K. and aastra like this

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:24 AM

Now we have a much less attractive apartment block making the same bold claim for height.

Yeah, it's frustrating but it's also predictable. When a good proposal gets rejected today, some people will call it a victory. But it's very likely that something lousier and just as large -- if not much larger -- will be proposed later on the same site. Property never gets cheaper, development costs never get lower.

Methinks something that was clearly taller than View Towers but ultra-slim along View Street could be really interesting here.

• Nparker likes this

#89 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 10:43 AM

The great thing about the previous proposal was it was all one lot, with the townhouse-style lowrise on Fort and the tower on View. Architecturally it was a perfect fit. The tower height was a tradeoff in exchange for the lowrise Fort St. frontage. The two new proposals have no such logic or thought in them. 

• Mike K. and aastra like this

#90 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:39 AM

18-storey, 267-unit rental tower proposed next to View Towers will not include parking; ample bicycle storage planned

https://victoria.cit...torage-planned/

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#91 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:02 AM

I'm curious about what prices the developer is anticipating renting these out for. Given the small unit size, simple exterior design, and construction costs saved by not having to provide parking, I should hope these units are fairly affordable.

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 09:23 AM

They aim to make them attainable to individuals earning a minimum of $35,000 per year. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#93 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:04 PM

Thank you!

• Mike K. likes this

#94 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:21 PM

They aim to make them attainable to individuals earning a minimum of $35,000 per year.

so $35,000 x 30% is $10,500 per year rent or less or $800 to $900/mo.

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

Right, that sounds like their starting price point. Keep in mind that could be pushed upwards depending on when this thing is completed.

Know it all.

#96 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:33 PM

From the architect's letter to council:

...the building is proposed to be constructed using relatively light-weight modular off-site pre-fabrication methods. This will bring the units to market in approximately half the normal construction period while meeting the seismic and other structural requirements...

The architectural expression of the building takes advantage of the modular stacking of the pre-fabricated modules by rotating and shifting the units to create variation in the exterior wall and massing...

Durable and low maintenance cladding materials (composite aluminum panels, concrete masonry, refinished metal) are proposed for the exterior finishes...

#97 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:46 AM

This is going to ADP next week on Feb 24.

#98 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

They will probably - and rightfully - eviscerate the current proposal.

#99 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:40 PM

Revised plans have been posted as of today.  The design has been modified again...

937 view.png

#100 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:59 PM

It looks a bit better. Still vastly better than View Towers.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users