Vivid at the Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 849 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Vivid at the Yates is a 20-storey, 135-unit below market condominium tower situated along the 800-block of Joh... (view full profile)
Learn more about Vivid at the Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Vivid at the Yates | Attainable condos; market commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#501 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:19 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of strata ownership. Expect 10-15% increases every year. Insurance is the #1 driver of skyrocketing strata fees, IMHO.

15% seems a bit steep. If my strata fees are 300 right now, a 15% annual increase puts them at ~920 in only 8 years or ~1215 in 10 years.

Any condo owners of over 8+ years care to weigh in with their experiences? Have your condo fees tripled in only 8 years or quadrupled in 10 years?

Edited by RustyNail, 19 April 2021 - 06:23 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#502 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Excessive strata fee increases only started happening in the past couple of years, Prior to that my annual increases were quite moderate.

Edit: My strata fees went up 22% since 2017, but I expect larger increases in the coming years.

Edited by Nparker, 19 April 2021 - 07:19 PM.

#503 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

Excessive strata fee increases only started happening in the past couple of years, Prior to that my annual increases were quite moderate.

Ah okay - when you mentioned to expect 10-15% every year I figured you were speaking from decades of experience.

I think after another year or two things will settle down to a new, much higher norm. Didn't something very similar happen to insurance rates and condo fees during the leaky condo crisis a few decades ago?

Edited by RustyNail, 19 April 2021 - 07:13 PM.

#504 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:20 PM

what do they expect you to plug in in that kitchen's 3 plugs?  toaster.  coffee maker.  what else?  george foreman grill? 

power bar

• lanforod likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#505 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 07:24 PM

...I think after another year or two things will settle down to a new, much higher norm. Didn't something very similar happen to insurance rates and condo fees during the leaky condo crisis a few decades ago?

We've been told to prepare for higher insurance costs for the foreseeable future. I know my personal condo insurance has also skyrocketed in the past 2 years.

#506 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 April 2021 - 09:05 PM

After a massive insurance hike last year, my condo's insurance moderated down a bit this year, thankfully, and the deductible especially relaxed to a number that insurers are willing to provide reasonable coverage for individual units.

In 12 years my strata fees have gone from about 300 to 440, with the biggest jump last year of about 11%.

#507 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 10:18 PM

My strata fees went up 22% since 2017, but I expect larger increases in the coming years.

That's an average increase of about 5.1% per year since 2017. Last couple year's increase is probably what bumped the average above 5%.

After a massive insurance hike last year, my condo's insurance moderated down a bit this year, thankfully, and the deductible especially relaxed to a number that insurers are willing to provide reasonable coverage for individual units.

In 12 years my strata fees have gone from about 300 to 440, with the biggest jump last year of about 11%.

300 to 440 is a total increase of ~46.7% over 12 years. This works out to an average increase of 3.24% each year.

I'm thinking there is still another year or two of big price adjustments in the industry and then I think things will settle back down to the small annual increases previously seen... at least I hope so anyway cause I'm moving into my first place soon.

Edited by RustyNail, 19 April 2021 - 10:21 PM.

#508 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:03 AM

It’s largely driven by earthquake coverage, no? I decided to drop earthquake coverage for my house as it was headed for $2,000, plus a $45k or $50k deductible. Without earthquake it’s 1/3 the cost.

Furthermore, after jokingly discussing the potential for earthquake-related insurer default with my former broker, who was adamant such would never ever happen, their latest letter accompanying renewals speaks to the “relatively low” likelihood of insurer default. Relatively low, eh?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#509 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:37 AM

It’s largely driven by earthquake coverage, no? I decided to drop earthquake coverage for my house ...

I doubt my strata is going to drop its earthquake coverage anytime soon.

#510 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:08 AM

I just got rid of my house insurance altogether this year. Rather a unique situation since my property is actually worth more without the house on it. 

• lanforod likes this

#511 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 06:27 AM

You must be mortgage free then? My mortgage requires insurance, and I assume that's what every traditional/bank mortgage requires?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#512 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:09 AM

It’s largely driven by earthquake coverage, no? I decided to drop earthquake coverage for my house as it was headed for $2,000, plus a $45k or $50k deductible. Without earthquake it’s 1/3 the cost.

Furthermore, after jokingly discussing the potential for earthquake-related insurer default with my former broker, who was adamant such would never ever happen, their latest letter accompanying renewals speaks to the “relatively low” likelihood of insurer default. Relatively low, eh?

No, it's not. Every report and article I've read on this is that the insurers increased premiums due to an increase in claims, and more specifically, water damage.
Now, I don't know why all of the sudden those claims supposedly increased.

#513 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,975 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:12 AM

that's the mystery right?

the insurance industry is smart enough to know how to spot issues with certain building types or construction techniques.  but it seems the increases are across the board - from two-level townhomes to 45-floor towers.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2021 - 07:12 AM.

#514 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:12 AM

...Every report and article I've read on this is that the insurers increased premiums due to an increase in claims, and more specifically, water damage....

This is what my strata has been telling us.

#515 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

that's the mystery right?

the insurance industry is smart enough to know how to spot issues with certain building types or construction techniques. but it seems the increases are across the board - from two-level townhomes to 45-floor towers.

It’s an earthquake hedge.

Know it all.

#516 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:30 AM

No, it's not. Every report and article I've read on this is that the insurers increased premiums due to an increase in claims, and more specifically, water damage.

Water claims are a big one.  A small pinhole leak in a pipe on the 3rd floor can cause thousands in damage.  Older buildings in Victoria, especially high-rises are quite susceptible to soft water corrosion causing pinhole leaks in copper pipes.  There are ways to mitigate this but stratas usually only decide there's a problem once they've forked out more in insurance deductibles and repairs than the preventative measures would have cost.

My fees went from like $170 ish back in 2002 to $430 now.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#517 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:59 AM

Water claims are a big one. A small pinhole leak in a pipe on the 3rd floor can cause thousands in damage. Older buildings in Victoria, especially high-rises are quite susceptible to soft water corrosion causing pinhole leaks in copper pipes. There are ways to mitigate this but stratas usually only decide there's a problem once they've forked out more in insurance deductibles and repairs than the preventative measures would have cost.

My fees went from like $170 ish back in 2002 to $430 now.

What are the mitigating measures for the soft water issue? Some sort of water hardening filtration system for the building? I'm moving into the Vivid soon and I'm curious if our building has any mitigating measures in place for this.

What were your strata fees a couple of years ago?170 to 430 in 19 years is about 5.01% per year. I'm assuming your biggest yearly increases have come in the last few years?

#518 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2021 - 11:37 AM

What are the mitigating measures for the soft water issue? Some sort of water hardening filtration system for the building? I'm moving into the Vivid soon and I'm curious if our building has any mitigating measures in place for this.

https://hytecwater.com/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#519 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 07:41 PM

You know that your gas line is going to break in an earthquake right? You have matches in your emergency kit, right?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#520 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,523 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:10 PM

You know that your gas line is going to break in an earthquake right? You have matches in your emergency kit, right?

I'll let the other guy blow up the neighbourhood, thank you very much :)

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users