Vivid at the Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 849 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Vivid at the Yates is a 20-storey, 135-unit below market condominium tower situated along the 800-block of Joh... (view full profile)
Learn more about Vivid at the Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Vivid at the Yates | Attainable condos; market commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

Trip-of-towers-approved-for-downtown-Victoria.jpg

Victoria council approves trio of downtown residential towers

http://victoria.citi...le-849-johnson/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Renderings. There will be an announcement regarding this tower's affordable housing component soon.

Vivid-at-the-Yates-rendering-1.jpg

Vivid-at-the-Yates-rendering-2.jpg

Vivid-at-the-Yates-rendering-3.jpg

Vivid-at-the-Yates-rendering-4.jpg

Vivid-at-the-Yates-rendering-5.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

This entire development is really disappointing. A few years ago if you had told me that Chard was going to be building the tallest buildings in Harris Green I would have bet a trailer full of donuts that it was going to be fantastic. The Yates building looks like it will be just okay and the Johnson building is disappointing. The ground floors and lower levels along the main streets look like they'll be good, I'm pleased about that aspect. But seriously, why wouldn't a tower's north-facing units have more glass coverage? And why are there so few windows and no balconies on the west face of the tower?

(edited for clarity)

Edited by aastra, 21 September 2017 - 08:58 AM.

• Marilyn likes this

#4 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

This entire development is really disappointing. A few years ago if you had told me that Chard was going to be building the tallest buildings in Harris Green I would have bet a trailer full of donuts that it was going to be fantastic. The Yates building looks like it will be just okay and the Johnson building is disappointing. The ground floors and lower levels along the main streets look like they'll be good, I'm pleased about that aspect. But seriously, why wouldn't a north-facing building have more glass coverage? And why are there so few windows and no balconies on the west face of the tower?

Perhaps the lack of glass coverage is cost-related? 

Personally I'm not bothered by it, if only because it provides something of a 'break' in the trend of floor-to-ceiling glass...

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

I feel like you could remove the tower levels altogether and it wouldn't really matter because the higher levels don't contribute much.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

It's literally a throwback to the Era, isn't it?

Know it all.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:06 AM

You're saying it's a different Era?

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and Marilyn like this

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

...why are there so few windows and no balconies on the west face of the tower?..

As someone who suffers from too much western facing glass in his low-rise condo (and a useless SW facing balcony), I don't necessarily see smaller windows on this facade as a bad thing. Of course, I presume both of these towers will have full A/C, which will make all the difference in the world.

I lament the lack of glazing in general on many new Victoria developments. I remain hopeful Hudson Place 1 will have lots of glass.

• Matt R. likes this

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:08 AM

You're saying it's a different Era?

The Era of the 700-block. 

Know it all.

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

It's literally a throwback to the Era, isn't it?

But that's what gets approved by this Council. They barely allowed the height. If the design hadn't been ultra conservative and traditional, this would likely not have been approved at all.

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

[this building will be] The Era of the 700-block 800-block.

I corrected your Era for you.

#12 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

You know, the comparison to Era actually makes me feel better about it. Era is really good despite being so conservative. So these buildings will probably also be good. I was just hoping for something more interesting.

Edit: then again, this project won't be doing the lane thing nearly as well as Era did it.

Edited by aastra, 21 September 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#13 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

It looks fine to me, but then I live in an off-white stucco rectangle with finishings that were presumably cornflower blue a couple decades ago.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

More shouting into the wind here, but would a few curves and/or something other than 90-degree angles not have been possible? Perhaps not on the subsidized tower, but on the market units building.

#15 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

Fine about sums it up. First 8 floors are solid. Top 12 are meh. Roof looks OK, but I suspect there is a big dumb elevator housing on top (why can't we seem to hide those in this town?). 

You know, I am kind of not reading too much into Victoria renderings these days because the finished buildings keep turning out so much better in person than what the renderings depicted. 

Edited by jonny, 21 September 2017 - 10:21 AM.

• LV likes this

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

Fine about sums it up...

Agreed, but wouldn't it be amazing to see some renderings and go "Wow!"

This project, when complete, will be a very nice, very safe addition to downtown, but it sure isn't taking any risks.

#17 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

I said wow when I saw HP1, but that was mostly because of the height and slenderness. Jawl's project on Pandora still makes me go wow. Still hard to believe that quality of project got approved with our hicksville city council. 

#18 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

For a below market housing project, this is amazing. Some of the units will have balconies and those interiors are great (porcelain tile floors, stone countertops etc). 

• Nparker likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

For sure, I'm just talking from the bozo-on-the-street perspective.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

For sure, I'm just talking from the bozo-on-the-street perspective.

From that perspective it's too tall and that is all that really matters to the bozos.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users