Vivid at the Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 849 Johnson Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 1BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Vivid at the Yates is a 20-storey, 135-unit below market condominium tower situated along the 800-block of Joh... (view full profile)
Learn more about Vivid at the Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Vivid at the Yates | Attainable condos; market commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#561 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:54 PM

Simple solution is live CCTV any suite can view. Those systems are great.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#562 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 02:30 AM

Ok, getting a little off topic here <bad mod!!!> but since it's been brought up...

Found this post in response to a recent media article on the recent drug/weapon bust in Saanich...

I have a feeling these locker rooms are targeted more frequently than you think.  

Tuscany is not very far from Sicily too.

godfather-corleone.png

• sebberry and Barrrister like this

#563 pinkcanoe

pinkcanoe
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

How are you planning to layout your furniture? I'm curious for any design pointers if you are already moved in. What's the best way to maximize your space and functionality, especially in the 1 bedroom smaller suites?

#564 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:54 AM

How are you planning to layout your furniture? I'm curious for any design pointers if you are already moved in. What's the best way to maximize your space and functionality, especially in the 1 bedroom smaller suites?

tumblr_ncr0jpEkTf1rm4mpho1_1280.jpg

#565 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:47 PM

I got a bed frame that has drawers on the bottom. Also bought some hanging closet organizers that have 5 or 6 levels of storage cubes each

I also have a small sectional couch with a chaise that lifts for storage space.

The closets might be deep enough to fit a small dresser or cabinet

Add some floating shelves on the walls to store some stuff?

#566 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:53 PM

CHEK story about the completion of the project:  https://www.cheknews...seholds-783560/

#567 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:34 PM

A few days ago, one of the elevators was having issues.

Today the entrance gate to the parking garage wasn't working. A guy was directing cars in through the exit gate. 

#568 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 05:09 PM

A few days ago, one of the elevators was having issues.

Today the entrance gate to the parking garage wasn't working. A guy was directing cars in through the exit gate.

Everything is keyfob right? Wonder if it's mostly just access and control hiccups.

#569 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:26 PM

Looks like the commercial tenant for the Vivid building will be William Wright Real Estate. Windows are covered with signage saying so. 

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#570 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:33 PM

Is there any sort of residents discussion forum/email group/Facebook page, etc?
  • Matt R. likes this

#571 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 11:55 AM

Is there any sort of residents discussion forum/email group/Facebook page, etc?

Not that I know of. 

Have you discovered any issues with your place?

#572 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:53 PM

Not that I know of.

Have you discovered any issues with your place?

Yeah, I've got a list done up. Most probably minor and maybe I can fix myself? I'm overall happy. Haven't submitted deficiency requests yet but will soon. List below:

-One Bathroom door binds against the door frame when opened 30 degrees.

-Front door lock receptacle/bracket in the door frame is loose (can't be tightened anymore)

-The white front door gasket, top right, has peeled off a couple of times.

-The top right inside corner of the front door is damaged

-One trickle vent was not screwed in and didn't work... fixed this myself.

-Another trickle vent was installed a hair too close to the window frame so it rubs/binds against the window frame when you open/close it.

-Some vinyl floor planks are not flush and there is a visible, palpable "ledge".

-In the kitchen, one of the drawer handles broke. The securing screw broke right through the handle. Looking at some of the other handles, it seems that the screw heads are too small for the handles?

-The stove rubber gasket, between front panel and glass cooktop, is not properly sealed. Already lost some food into the resulting gap/hole.

-The "burner on" light flickers whenever any burner is on - is this normal? Burners seem to operate without issue.

-Bottom corner of the right laundry closet door is cracked and was painted over.

-The gap beneath one of the bedroom doors is massive, like 2 inches... is this a deficiency?

-Not sure where my washer's shipping bolts are (I've triple checked that they are not installed in the washer).

-Is there a hot water temperature limiter in this building? I find that the water temp doesn't get as hot compared to pretty much every other place I've lived in.

Edited by RustyNail, 08 June 2021 - 02:04 PM.

#573 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 10:26 PM

My floors also have some uneven seams. I listed it on my original deficiency list, but I can still feel the edges under my socks.

The burner light on my stove stays solid when I use it.

I don't seem to have my shipping bolts for my washer either, but I don't plan on moving it anywhere.

I've also notice that the hot water doesn't get all that hot. 

Most of things I've discovered in my place are just annoyances, but one major issue for me is that there's an unpleasant odor coming from underneath the sink. I have a box of baking soda in the cabinet. I've poured baking soda and vinegar down drain. I've poured boiling water down the drain. The smell is still there. There's no visible leaks or anything. I reported it on Conasys, but haven't heard back so far. 

It still bugs me the cabinet door handles in the kitchen and bathroom are in the middle and not the edge. I'm still seriously considering moving them despite the fact it'll leave a screw hole.

It also still bugs me that I have to turn my key to the right to lock a door that locks to the left. 

I don't like the freezer. The drawers are clunky and don't hold much. 

The handle for my bathtub faucet came off in my hand while I was turning it while in the shower. It was easy to pop back in, but just thought was weird it would pop off so easily. 

Anyone have tips on screen doors or window screens? Can't install a screen door on the outside of the sliding door because the sliding door's handle blocks the track where where you'd pop a screen in. And the windows are push-out with a chunky handle so putting screens on those not exactly intuitive. I have my sliding door open a lot because it's 22 degrees a lot despite being on the north side of the building. 

I find my bedroom picks up outside noise more than the "living room" area. Maybe the living room area is quieter because the balcony dampens sound a bit?  Being awoken by garbage/recycling trucks at 5am is going to take some getting used to. 

My bedroom is consistently a degree or two cooler than the rest of the unit. 

I hope we can get the rooftop re-opened soon

Still find it strange the main storage locker room and the garbage room require going down a couple stairs. Would not be fun to be in a wheelchair and taking out the garbage. 

#574 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:30 PM

So the midblock walkway gates are now closed to everyone except residents living in the townhomes along it from 5pm to 9am 

"For security purposes We have re-programmed the midblock gates as requested below so that only Level 1 tenants can access them 24/7. All other tenants have access from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm only." was the response I got when I emailed the building caretaker who forgot to attach the request that was made in his response. 

All residents use to have access 24/7. 

That walkway went from a wide walkway in the initial plans open to the public until 7 to the narrow fenced in strip that is now open to all residents all the time to only open to just the few people living along it except for an 8 hour window during the day. 

#575 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:36 PM

You can thank the policies of the CoV council for creating an atmosphere downtown that is anything but conducive to 24/7 walkways.

• Barrrister likes this

#576 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:28 PM

My floors also have some uneven seams. I listed it on my original deficiency list, but I can still feel the edges under my socks.

The burner light on my stove stays solid when I use it.

I don't seem to have my shipping bolts for my washer either, but I don't plan on moving it anywhere.

I've also notice that the hot water doesn't get all that hot.

Most of things I've discovered in my place are just annoyances, but one major issue for me is that there's an unpleasant odor coming from underneath the sink. I have a box of baking soda in the cabinet. I've poured baking soda and vinegar down drain. I've poured boiling water down the drain. The smell is still there. There's no visible leaks or anything. I reported it on Conasys, but haven't heard back so far.

It still bugs me the cabinet door handles in the kitchen and bathroom are in the middle and not the edge. I'm still seriously considering moving them despite the fact it'll leave a screw hole.

It also still bugs me that I have to turn my key to the right to lock a door that locks to the left.

I don't like the freezer. The drawers are clunky and don't hold much.

The handle for my bathtub faucet came off in my hand while I was turning it while in the shower. It was easy to pop back in, but just thought was weird it would pop off so easily.

Anyone have tips on screen doors or window screens? Can't install a screen door on the outside of the sliding door because the sliding door's handle blocks the track where where you'd pop a screen in. And the windows are push-out with a chunky handle so putting screens on those not exactly intuitive. I have my sliding door open a lot because it's 22 degrees a lot despite being on the north side of the building.

I find my bedroom picks up outside noise more than the "living room" area. Maybe the living room area is quieter because the balcony dampens sound a bit? Being awoken by garbage/recycling trucks at 5am is going to take some getting used to.

My bedroom is consistently a degree or two cooler than the rest of the unit.

I hope we can get the rooftop re-opened soon

Still find it strange the main storage locker room and the garbage room require going down a couple stairs. Would not be fun to be in a wheelchair and taking out the garbage.

I have the same smell underneath my sink. Glad to know it's not just me.

I also discovered a very tiny water leak in/underneath one of my faucets (even when the faucet is off). It drips beneath the sink.

I'm okay with the front door key locking mechanism, haha.

Agreed: freezer drawers are clunky. One of my fridge drawers is not quite wide enough to fit into the tracks on both sides of the fridge. It always binds when I try and push it back in.

If you figure out a good window screen solution, let me know :-)

The construction site across the street wakes me up every morning too. Downtown living :-p.

Regarding the midblock walkway:

When I inquired why my fob wasn't working, I was told fob access has been restricted to hours of 9 to 5 for all residents except those on the first floor, for security reasons. No other information given.

Can they do this without consulting residents or having a vote?

I feel out of the loop with respect to what goes on in the building. Like, how do we contact the strata council? and do we have the mandatory minimum of 2 Vivid residents on the council? If so, why wasn't a vote held?
Why aren't we receiving communications on stuff like the midblock walkway restriction before they are implemented? Etc. Maybe I'm not on an email list or something?

Edited by RustyNail, 24 June 2021 - 04:31 PM.

#577 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:35 PM

you might be prior to the mandatory minimum time frame for a strata being properly formed.

#578 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:42 PM

I have the same smell underneath my sink. Glad to know it's not just me.

I also discovered a very tiny water leak in/underneath one of my faucets (even when the faucet is off). It drips beneath the sink.

I'm okay with the front door key locking mechanism, haha.

Agreed: freezer drawers are clunky. One of my fridge drawers is not quite wide enough to fit into the tracks on both sides of the fridge. It always binds when I try and push it back in.

If you figure out a good window screen solution, let me know :-)

The construction site across the street wakes me up every morning too. Downtown living :-p.

Regarding the midblock walkway:

When I inquired why my fob wasn't working, I was told fob access has been restricted to hours of 9 to 5 for all residents except those on the first floor, for security reasons. No other information given.

Can they do this without consulting residents or having a vote?

I feel out of the loop with respect to what goes on in the building. Like, how do we contact the strata council? and do we have the mandatory minimum of 2 Vivid residents on the council? If so, why wasn't a vote held?
Why aren't we receiving communications on stuff like the midblock walkway restriction before they are implemented? Etc. Maybe I'm not on an email list or something?

After reporting the smell, the response back was that because there's no leak, it's not a warranty thing. 

Today I signed up to receive email notifications at the CBMHelp website. We'll see if any emails get sent when stuff happens in the building like the change for the walkway and the door shutting issues around the garbage room.

I don't think we have anyone on council yet because we haven't had our building's AGM. No idea when that's going to happen.

At least the roof has reopened. 

#579 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:34 PM

It’s open!? Please post photos if you can!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#580 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:27 PM

It’s open!? Please post photos if you can!

Here's what the roof looked like when I got my keys in early May. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=EVbQluNJ98Y

The garden plots have a bunch of plants now and the dog run now has a gate installed.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users