Photo

Manchester arena bombing > > UK Election

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 SimonH

SimonH
  • 509 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

Reports of 2 explosions at Manchester ( England) Arena. Details sketchy appears it was at the end of Ariana Grand concert.

#2 RFS

RFS
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

muslims. any one dare to say otherwise?
what sick depraved cowards would target a teen idol concert... basically targeting kids

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

She might want to have her publicist tend to her twitter account...

screenshot-twitter.com-2017-05-22-18-07-04.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 05:17 PM

She has shows booked for Thursday and Friday in London.  I wish we'd do the right thing and proceed with those shows.  But I suspect we'll let the terrorists win and there will be irrational cancellations.

Then she is all over Europe until June 17th.

Of course, she might not be in any condition to perform.  Can't blame her if she is scared.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,643 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:25 AM

22 dead now, including an eight year old child.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

ISIS has of course claimed responsibility.  It looks as though it was a suicide bomber.  I guess that's easier to plan, right?  You only have to plan to get the bomb there, you need no detailed escape plan if you can just find a willing bomber.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,643 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:49 AM

A 23-year-old has been arrested, according to the BBC. The name is being withheld.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 RFS

RFS
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

coulter's law. if it were a non muslim they would have said the name already.
social justice types are already all over social media worrying how this will cause "islamophobia" (which it should). that is their first reaction when 22 people die by nails and shrapnel including children as young as 8. absolutely deranged deluded sick individuals

Edited by RFS, 23 May 2017 - 07:21 AM.

• jonny likes this

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

She has suspended her tour.  35 dates affected.

#10 Danma

Danma
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

coulter's law. if it were a non muslim they would have said the name already.

They already put the name out this morning.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:37 PM

FA Cup final is this weekend in London.  It's going ahead.

https://en.wikipedia...17_FA_Cup_Final

#12 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

I certainly am sympathetic to this tragedy, but it's worth noting that many thousands of concerts happen every single night without incident. As do sporting events, cultural events, plays, etc.

If the goal of terrorism is to disrupt the normal Western way of life, then you have to combat it by going about your regular day. Sporting events, concerts, etc...they all bring massive amounts of joy into people's lives (unless you're a Canucks fan). So stopping those events only rewards terrorism.

So I'm glad to see major events carry on without skipping a beat (though I'm sure security will be on high alert).

• jonny likes this

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

If the goal of terrorism is to disrupt the normal Western way of life, then you have to combat it by going about your regular day. Sporting events, concerts, etc...they all bring massive amounts of joy into people's lives (unless you're a Canucks fan). So stopping those events only rewards terrorism.

True.  But I bet Ariana Grande can't find a company to insure the rest of her tour now.

#14 jonny

jonny
  • 9,186 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

What's odd to me is that this guy got into the venue with, I'm guessing, a pretty large and heavy bag.

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

What's odd to me is that this guy got into the venue with, I'm guessing, a pretty large and heavy bag.

Are you sure he even got inside?  Wasn't it in the foyer between the arena and the train station?  Also, at the very end of a concert, you can nip in as people leave, that's not hard.

#16 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

True.  But I bet Ariana Grande can't find a company to insure the rest of her tour now.

I have a feeling that many companies would be more than willing to insure any major talent artist managed by Scooter Braun (Kanye, Justin Bieber, etc.) Not exactly someone you want to be blacklisted by.

I also don't see any reason why Ariana Grande should continue with her tour. If there is one series of events that makes sense cancellation wise, it's her future shows. By all account she is absolutely inconsolable about this happening to her fans.

#17 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

Are you sure he even got inside?  Wasn't it in the foyer between the arena and the train station?  Also, at the very end of a concert, you can nip in as people leave, that's not hard.

This is what I understand happened...ultimately it's not a hard thing for a suicide bomber to find a large crowd. So unless we as a society are saying "no more gathering in large crowds", it's just a risk that we have to live with going forward, and really always has been unfortunately.

#18 RFS

RFS
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

This is what I understand happened...ultimately it's not a hard thing for a suicide bomber to find a large crowd. So unless we as a society are saying "no more gathering in large crowds", it's just a risk that we have to live with going forward, and really always has been unfortunately.

It is not something we have to just live with. Instead of just going through the motions and saying how sorry we all are we could actually get serious about the threat posted by islam. Until people in the west get over political correctness and actually get mad enough to take action the killing will continue. All well and good until it hits someone you know/love.

meanwhile the UK raised terror risk to critical, says another attack is imminent

#19 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 1,754 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:25 PM

It is not something we have to just live with. Instead of just going through the motions and saying how sorry we all are we could actually get serious about the threat posted by islam. Until people in the west get over political correctness and actually get mad enough to take action the killing will continue. All well and good until it hits someone you know/love.

meanwhile the UK raised terror risk to critical, says another attack is imminent

Sure, but what's the solution? What action is necessary? You could ban all the religions of the world, all the colours of the skin...but it doesn't change that a psycho can still walk into a crowd with a bomb strapped to him.

#20 Gipper

Gipper
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:28 PM

What would you do to stop terrorism?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users