CANCELLED
Duck's Building
Use: condo
Address: 1314-1324 Broad Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
The Duck's Building development was originally envisioned as a 108-unit condominium and ground floor retail pr... (view full profile)
Learn more about Duck's Building on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Duck's Block | Condos; rentals; retail | 7-storeys | Cancelled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
140 replies to this topic

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

I assumed that image was supposed to show the ground floor recovering (uncovering) some of its lost historic detail.

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:50 PM

...Do people really want Johnson Street to be less like historic Johnson Street and more like the modern wing of the hotel on the other corner? I just can't believe that they do.

Clearly some people do.

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

I've said this countless times, I'll say it again: I would love to see a scheme that encourages developers to preserve and restore old buildings. Major incentives, I mean. Preserve and restore the little building on Johnson in exchange for some significant height concession on a future project east of Blanshard, for example. The point here would be to acknowledge the realities re: redevelopments in the old town typically not being large enough and profitable enough to make preservation and restoration of smaller buildings feasible.

#64 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

And yet there are some good examples of how it can be done. Two projects in Waddington Alley, several on Yates. I guess it's Le Fevre we can thank for the majority of those.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#65 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:29 PM

Aastra, have you considered that buìlding on the corner is beyond restoration/ saving? I have been inside it... Trust me you would never know it was and old building except for the fact it is. It 1960's update destroyed the building and there is NOTHING to bring back. Inside or out.

J
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#66 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:57 AM

UVic graduate student housing, condos and retail space envisioned for 1300-block of Broad

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:09 AM

UVic graduate student housing, condos and retail space envisioned for 1300-block of Broad

Microsuites, eh. Any transient/STR zoning here (regardless of the city's current stupid proposal)?

#68 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

The developer has asked for this type of zoning. I guess it would be easier to make a grad student only have to sign a 8-9 month lease than a years. Then UVIC can decide how best to make money off the spaces when there are no students.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

...have you considered that buìlding on the corner is beyond restoration/ saving?

Of course, but that consideration always gets precedence by default. Have you ever considered how Victoria seems to be uniquely cursed with a glut of old buildings that not only aren't worth restoring but that couldn't possibly be restored even if you wanted to do it? To paraphrase the observation of a wise individual back in the day, "Always with Victorians it cannot be done." How many times over the years did we hear people say the Janion wasn't worth saving?

Extensive restorations including facade restorations happen all the time in so many other cities and towns, I just cannot get my head around why Victorians are so reluctant to do it. It's as if Victorians are especially afraid of coming to terms with their prior blunders. They prefer to clean the slate and start over, never daring to examine the misguided sensibilities that produced the big mistakes in the first place.

Anyway, what difference does it make? The only people who are going to be speaking up for the heritage aspects are bozos on the interwebs. The usual suspects will be playing the "too big" and "too tall" cards, as per always. Everyone will play their familiar roles and go through the same familiar motions and the old building will ultimately disappear, and a heaping dose of that funky old Johnson Street flavour will disappear right along with it.

#70 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

Nparker will say "good riddance" or something clever like that.

• Rob Randall likes this

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

Nparker will say "good riddance" or something clever like that.

I'll try to come up with something more original; perhaps "Bravo" or "Well done". I'll wait and see how this project gets "madoffed" before I pass final judgement though.

• aastra likes this

#72 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

I'll wait and see how this project gets "madoffed"...

Bravo.

• Nparker likes this

#73 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

...I would love to see a scheme that encourages developers to preserve and restore old buildings. Major incentives, I mean. Preserve and restore the little building on Johnson in exchange for some significant height concession on a future project east of Blanshard, for example.

Call it a "viability transfer" or some such thing. If a restoration wouldn't be viable unto itself then bundle it with another large new project several blocks away as the "amenity" portion or whatever. Developers would actually be eager to do preservation/restoration work in that case.

#74 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:39 AM

Revised plans were submitted last week, they're in the Dev Tracker folder: https://tender.victo...Number=REZ00611

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jackerbie, 14 December 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#75 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

I can't tell. Have there been significant changes to the earlier proposal?

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

The unit count has increased from 49-units in the UVic student building to 59 and from 79-units in the Duck's/Canada Hotel buildings to 108.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#77 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:04 AM

Most of the changes are to do with interior circulation it looks like. Exterior changes include more glazing on the addition to the Ducks building, changes to the windows on the UVic side in keeping with the historic character, and some small changes to the facade and entries at grade.

Previous

Capture.PNG

Revised

Capture2.PNG

• Nparker likes this

#78 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:08 AM

The unit count has increased from 49-units in the UVic student building to 59 and from 79-units in the Duck's/Canada Hotel buildings to 108.

The original submission had the same unit count, it was just not indicated clearly in the plans. If you check the parking calculation, it shows 59 UVic units and 108 Ducks/Johnson units

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

Interesting. Thanks!

Know it all.

#80 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:53 AM

...Exterior changes include more glazing on the addition to the Ducks building, changes to the windows on the UVic side in keeping with the historic character, and some small changes to the facade and entries at grade...

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison Jackerbie. The "UVic" wing is a bit matchy-matchy now, but I can understand the pressure to keep things "historic" in this location. Overall, I think this is a very nice project that will bring much needed life to this section of downtown.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users